High School Is Hs Cheerleading Recognized As A Sport In Your State?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

North Carolina I believe... The NCHSAA (North Carolina High School Athletic Association) holds their own competition every year and we have rules? So I think we're recognized.

I know competition cheerleading isn't recognized but side line cheerleading is.

My school had a PowerPoint of why to transfer to this school and there was a slide about sports. It said something along the lines of we have every NCHSAA recognized sport and 2 more, Competition Cheerleading and Field Hockey.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I know your report is on the US but thought I would chime in anyway :)

Cheerleading is not a recognized sport in Ontario. We used to be recognized by our local high school athletic associations but our provincial organization (OFSSA)does not so most, if not all, local associations no longer do either. One of our issues is that our local public school board decided that we were not covered by school insurance since we were not recognized by OFSSA. The local Catholic school board decided we were covered. Only the Catholic school board, in my area, offers cheer in their schools. Our schools, however, do recognize us as a sport and we pay into the athletic fund and are participants at athletic banquets.

The plus side of not being in the athletic associations is that we can now start our season whenever we wish. We used to have to wait until Winter sport season began (November) before we could even start the tryout process. Now we decide on a school to school basis when we will begin our season.

North Carolina I believe... The NCHSAA (North Carolina High School Athletic Association) holds their own competition every year and we have rules? So I think we're recognized.
I'm pretty sure I've always heard that it is a sport in NC. No actual proof on that, just what I've always been told.

Commenting back (not just to you) because a state competition and rules doesn't make it a sport. The TSSAA (Tennessee) has a competition every November and follows rules as well. Doesn't mean it's a sport here though. I don't even pretend to know how it works every where else, but a competition and rules don't necessarily make the state a sport.

In Colorado CHSAA considers cheerleading as as sport, but many of the individual high school's do not. For example, my high school team does not receive funding, like high school sports do, but we do not have to pay the "sports fee". We can also fall in-between the lines of a club vs a sport, which allows for more so-called freedom with what we want to do. So yes, we are considered a sport, but it's up to the individual high school whether they want to recognize it or not.

Back