Is It Too Late For Me To Get Back Into All Star Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 7, 2016
Hey everyone!
So I was wondering if I could get all yalls opinion on something. (It's a bit long sorry but I wanted to make sure I explained all the factors before asking y'all).

I used to be an all star cheerleader for about 4 years and cheered in school for 2 years. I loved all star cheer with all my heart but I was going through a really rough time in life during the same time and it caused ALOT of problems for me at my gym. (I mean ALOT.)

Without getting too into all that i did wrong and messed up bad on, when I graduated high school, I had to quit because I was too old for any team/level besides level 6 and I wasn't good enough to be on that team at my gym even though people told me to still go for it.
I could have been amazing but I bailed in a layout and got a year long block that prevented me from even doing a tuck (and that was my greatest skill. I was a 'power house' as you'd call it and it hurt that much more that I wasn't throwing anything anymore and it prevented me from continuing moving up).
Its hung over my head ever since.

I'm 19 now and it's been about 2 years since I stopped cheering. I've never stopped missing it and I honestly cry myself to sleep most nights thinking about how different things could have been for me if I wasn't a coward and threw my tumbling and didn't cause such an unnecessary mess from start to finish those 4 years. Honestly, it's haunted me. I've really wanted to get back into it, I can't take not cheering anymore, especially since I could have been amazing. But it's been two years and id have to be a flyer on a level 6 team. I've never flown, I dont have the tumbling skills, I'm not in the proper shape anymore (I'm still in great shape but no where near where I was when I cheered), and as much as I love my old gym and want to cheer with them I don't feel welcomed there anymore. (90% of the coaches DO NOT like me and happy they wouldn't have to deal with me anymore. Like I said, I made a lot of huge mistakes.)

What should I do??? Is it too late for me to get back into cheer?? Is it worth it?? Or am I just feeling the retired cheerleader blues?

Not too late to go back. Do you have another gym option though?? You don't sound like you would be happy at this gym. Are there any others close to you?? An Open 4 team would also be a good option to get you back into the swing of things. If you don't join a team this year, get to open gym and start working your tumbling and conditioning again. It will make life easier when you do go back to a team

Never too late. Do it now or possibly regret it later.

**Urban dictionary may change the game for naming teams**

The fact you know you made mistakes and seem to have grown and learned from those mistakes is awesome! We all make decisions we wish we could go back and change. Just start from right now and choose to be the best you that you can be. If you truly want to cheer again, don't let anything stop you. Search your area for open teams and start training! Best of luck!!

I'm on team "GO FOR IT!" and also team "GOOD LUCK!"

I'm sure it will be an uphill struggle, as getting back into something always is, but I truly wish you the best! Maybe you can even do a vlog or blog to share your journey for others like you out there that are nervous about joining cheer after so long away! I'm sure there are many who are in your boat! :)

Go for and don't regret it, I retired from All Star when I was 17 and didn't get to join an Open Team. I took time off to prep for a tryout with the Baltimore Ravens Cheerleaders and I did the Appearance Cheer team at my college. But then life, school, and work caught up and I never got to join an open team like I wanted. Now I'm 26 and I regret getting so caugh up. Follow ur heart and your passion and go for it. Also Good luck

Back