High School Is This Fair?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 18, 2011
My high school JV team qualified for a bid to UCA nationals. This is the second time ever that the school has gotten a bid and last time it was to the jv team again(they had the opportunity to go but declined!!) so this year we obviously wanted to go! we had our schedules cleared flights to get on and were even gonna get sponsored by a girl on the teams dads company so we wouldnt have to pay a THING! but the varsity coach and athletic director said NO!! their reasons were because we were only jv and not varsity(they believe its a varsity privilege), and since we got 4th at regionals they didnt think we would win at nationals....are they right to do that?

While it is an honor to get a bid, ultimately its the school's decision. Even without plane tickets and hotels to pay for, there are added costs and logistics and mountains of paperwork for food/drink/transport in addition to having chaperones/additional faculty to join on the trip since it would be out of state. Plus many times coaches pay out of their own pocket for things also because the school doesnt always cover their fees/registration/food for competitions. They also dedicate a huge portion of their time to practices for competition season and planning for competitions so they go smoothly for your team. Additionally, your coach doesn't get paid any different if she puts an additional 200+ hours in to planning for competitions vs. putting in no time at all. Seeing that only one team recieved a bid, not both, and that your team did not mow down the competition with a super high 1st place win, that also factors into the costs vs. benefits of your school going (costs also include money, time, resources, logistics/planning,etc.) . Most competition companies give you a bid to their nationals as long as you place over a certain score because they want your money.........more teams = more $$$. Just some things to think about from a different perspective.

Fair or not, you really have to think about the big picture as stated above. MOST schools it's a varsity privlidge.

I know some regions it is more difficult to bid, but at the same time, it's ultimatley up to the school to allow.

My freshman year we got a bid as JV and there was some talk of not letting us go but we took first at the qualifier (varsity took 5th that year). We ended up going but we are the only JV team from my school that has ever gone. Now its just a varsity thing.. and I don't think any of our JV teams has been as good as we were that year, IMO.

When we went the parents voted on it, and then the coaches made the ulimate decision.

well i would think of it this way.
if j.v football went undefeated all year do they get a playoffs? no.
shes training you to be able to compete at a higher level.
if i were in the same situation i would make the same decision.

hahahahahahahahaha at least your team got a bid unlike mine that then placed 1st at the following two competitions and then a second place after that........ but honestly if i was on a varsity team and jv went instead of varsity even if they were better id still be super pissed and would prob have a fit:)

oh and our school wouldnt let us go to a different regionals to try again for another bid even though we go ever year and placed in the top 10 in finalsss...

all of varsity wanted us to go we were so shocked haha but cheer in our school is looked down upon they PRAISE football and treat all the cheerleaders like we're dirt its so annoying

Back