All-Star Jamfest Supernationals And Special Needs Teams- No Jackets

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 3, 2010
Is it true that Jamfest does not give jackets to the special needs teams that compete? I heard this and thought it could not be true.

What are peoples thoughts on competition companies ranking Special needs Teams? For example, if there are three special need teams at a comp - There is a first, second, and third place team. I feel this is very wrong, but would be interested in hearing feedback!

I understand what you are saying, but I think the jackets would be a nice touch and would not cost Jamfest much. I am disappointed..I know Cheersport does give jackets to special needs teams. Thanks for answering my question.

What are peoples thoughts on competition companies ranking Special needs Teams? For example, if there are three special need teams at a comp - There is a first, second, and third place team. I feel this is very wrong, but would be interested in hearing feedback!
while i am all for fairness and equality i agree that special needs teams should not be ranked i for one would not be able to even rank which team did the best considering these athletes have more heart about them then many level 4,5,6 teams ive seen saying one is better then the other skill wise just doesnt sit right not to mention some of the kids have the ability to do more then others

I understand what everyone is saying about not wanting to rank the teams, however, my daughter worked with a special needs team for a couple of years...the kids on that team wanted to be treated like the other athletes, just in their own category. They wanted to be judged. They wanted to try to do things on their own. They wanted to win. And they most definitely wanted trophies, medals, and jackets :)

while i am all for fairness and equality i agree that special needs teams should not be ranked i for one would not be able to even rank which team did the best considering these athletes have more heart about them then many level 4,5,6 teams ive seen saying one is better then the other skill wise just doesnt sit right not to mention some of the kids have the ability to do more then others

That's why they have the universal score sheet this year. They are trying to make it unbiased and make this division like every other division. I always love watching the division also. Most competitions give every team a medal or something, like Cheersport gives all the athletes patches and medals (and new athletes get the leather jackets!).

The one issue I have with ranking is that I feel like it would be difficult to some degree? Based on the capabilities of what you're dealing with? I mean yes you judge them on their skills, but would you factor in those kids who need a presence on the floor for safety? If a coach volunteer has to help? There are certain logistics I'm not sure would work exactly? Or maybe I'm over-thinking..

Jackets should be there without question though..

Having a son on a Special Needs Team I have to say I have no problem with scoring and ranking teams. The kids get excited just hearing their names called and I have yet to see any team look disappointed with their placement. I think it's great that Cheersport gives out Jackets to ALL team members. The kids keep the same jacket unless they outgrow it and then Cheersport will give them a new one. I wish that all companies would give out Jackets or medals to all team members but I can't say that I am upset by it. My son is just as happy getting a hug and high fives when he is done and telling him how proud we are of him as he is when he has received his Jacket :)

The one issue I have with ranking is that I feel like it would be difficult to some degree? Based on the capabilities of what you're dealing with? I mean yes you judge them on their skills, but would you factor in those kids who need a presence on the floor for safety? If a coach volunteer has to help? There are certain logistics I'm not sure would work exactly? Or maybe I'm over-thinking..

Jackets should be there without question though..
thats exactly what i was thinking i cant really seem to figure out how it would be judged but thats why im not making rules or judging :)

If they are ranked then the champions deserve their dang jackets.

However, if they are not ranked and are all given first than it is completely understandable as to why the comps dont give them jackets. C'est tres chere pour les donner a tout les equipes, non? ;)

Back