All-Star Just Had To Share (special Needs Team)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Step 1 has had a pretty descent sized Special Needs team the last few years. And they always try to have some sort of "dance" or party for them at the end of each season. Well this year was no exception and the theme was a masquerade prom. It gives the kids a chance to have a night to be glamorous and let loose with kids just like themselves. The coaches and helpers turn off the main lights and set up twinkly lights like you'd see at every other prom. They also set up snacks. There's a photo section where the kids can get their prom pictures taken, even a "couple's photo". Just had to brag a bit because I find it to be incredible the things that go on in the gym. I hope this gives some inspiration to any other gym who has a special needs team. I know this time we get lost in the "large senior debate" or the drama of Worlds, it's just nice to acknowledge the good things that come out of our sport. :)

@1FabUlousMom 's daughter is a helper for this team so she's posted a couple pictures of the night..

268475209.jpg

268476199.jpg

things like this are what impress me about this sport over others

That is such a good idea and so sweet! I would love to do something like that at ours!

things like this are what impress me about this sport over others

Completely agree! I feel silly, but I always get a little misty when I see cheerleaders, coaches and parents from every gym at a comp stand up and cheer their loudest for Special Needs teams. These teams remind me that it's all about being proud of your own abilities and hard-work, and that every athlete should hit the floor and have FUN!

I think what is different about cheer and special needs is the fact that the special needs teams are connected with the real athletes. They are apart of these gyms not just teams that are made on the side. With any other sport (that I know of) you have to go through a Special Needs program, but with cheer you can just go sign up at the local gym that has a team just like any other kid would. It is a great opportunity for those kids and all the other kids in the gym to see how happy they are to be there!

Completely agree! I feel silly, but I always get a little misty when I see cheerleaders, coaches and parents from every gym at a comp stand up and cheer their loudest for Special Needs teams. These teams remind me that it's all about being proud of your own abilities and hard-work, and that every athlete should hit the floor and have FUN!

Trust me, you're not alone! I've been caught bawling my eyes out many times cheering on special needs teams at competitions or just simply watching them on youtube. Their love for the sort is incredible and I wish everyone had the kind of passion they do.

Latest posts

Back