High School Jv And Varsity Wearing The Same Uniforms: Yay Or Nay?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Which do you prefer?

• Same exact uniform for JV and Varsity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
I like having a whole program look uniform, but some people like the idea of varsity being able to stand out. What do you think?

When I was in high school JV had one uniform and varsity had three. The uniform JV had was one of the uniforms varsity had but JV used plain black mid under their shell and varsity had one with piping that matched the shell. JV cheered with Varsity for Friday night home football games but we didn't wear the same uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our HS had them in the same uniforms for years until Varsity bought new ones two seasons ago. When the uniforms were the same, Varsity got first pick. When my my oldest was a freshman and on Varsity, the JV upper classmen pushed their way ahead of the four Varsity freshman in line for uniforms, but the Varsity coach sent them back to the JV line to wait. :D

I don't mind JV and varsity having a uniform that's the same.... But I dont like them having all the same ones. Every other year we had different ones but this year we had all the same and it was annoying... the people on varsity made the team for a reason and I think they deserve to be recognized for that. None of our other sports have JV and Varsity in the same uniforms.
This year our fundraising committee (90% JV moms) refused to buy the 5 fillers we needed for the varsity competition uniforms (which were Nationals uniforms originally) because we didn't have the money to buy them for the entire JV team too :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have pretty similar uniforms but in reverse colors! Our varsity in in white and our JV is in red. Both have a big H and compliment eachother well. I also like when programs all have the same uniforms, we are considering it for game uniforms next year. St Hubert from Philadelphia has 4 teams all in the same uniform and they look great. It makes sense to have more sizing options with that many girls. Not a fan of varsity getting "first pick" of uniforms. We go through every uniform to make sure every girl has a nice fitting uniform that they feel comfortable in!

We have pretty similar uniforms but in reverse colors! Our varsity in in white and our JV is in red. Both have a big H and compliment eachother well. I also like when programs all have the same uniforms, we are considering it for game uniforms next year. St Hubert from Philadelphia has 4 teams all in the same uniform and they look great. It makes sense to have more sizing options with that many girls. Not a fan of varsity getting "first pick" of uniforms. We go through every uniform to make sure every girl has a nice fitting uniform that they feel comfortable in!
YES. I hate when a JV gets their Varsity old uniforms and none of them fit. Too often JV gets brushed off as the 'unimportant' team (overtly and implicitly, like through uniform choices) and I find it insulting.

I also don't like it when Varsity has a huge selection of uniforms while junior varsity doesn't.

Greenup Varsity has at least 7 uniforms, whereas their JV has 2 (one of which is one of the varsity team's old unis from '97; and we're not talking cute old school unis).

Last edited:
YES. I hate when a JV gets their Varsity old uniforms and none of them fit. Too often JV gets brushed off as the 'unimportant' team (overtly and implicitly, like through uniform choices) and I find it insulting.

Greenup Varsity has at least 7 uniforms, whereas their JV has 2 (one of which is one of the varsity team's old unis from '97; and we're not talking cute old school unis).

Agree- was SO HAPPY our school agreed to get the JV team brand new uniforms this year! I really think having nice fitting sharp uniforms helps with overall performance!

For those of you who disagree with Varsity getting first pick if the school uses the same uniforms for both JV and Varsity, then how should uniforms be distributed? What do you think would be a fairer method?

For those of you who disagree with Varsity getting first pick if the school uses the same uniforms for both JV and Varsity, then how should uniforms be distributed? What do you think would be a fairer method?
Just select random groups of kids to come up for a fitting.

Just select random groups of kids to come up for a fitting.
I feel like making varsity over jv should afford you some privilege when all the uniforms are the same, as should seniority by grade. I really do not know how other sports hand out uniforms at our school, just cheer, and now that varsity has different ones, it is a non-issue. But I absolutely agree that every girl should have a nice looking uniform that they feel comfortable in. When cp made the team in November, after the fall season ended, she was given a top that fit but a skirt that was just too small, but it was all they had. I was fortunate to find them online and buy her one in her size, which the school reimbursed. Even if they hadn't, I still would have bought it.

We have sizes all organized and bring up groups of girls based on height to try to get everyone in appropriate sizes. No one chooses their own uniform, we give them different sizes until they find one that fits.

Back