High School Jv Help?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 29, 2015
I've never cheered before and I'm interested in trying out for my school's Jv football team this spring. What are the basic requirements to make a jv team? Toe touch, pike, herkies? Do I have to know how to tumble? Just tell me the requirements at YOUR school.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Every school is different.

I do not coach the JV program at my school, but as a cheer program, we've decided that the two squads should be selected by skill, rather than by grade level (which is what some schools do.)

To be considered for JV, athletes are scored on a dance and cheer learned at clinics, a toe touch and one other jump, and standing and running tumbling. Successful JV candidates usually have running and/or standing BHS (SINGLE, not usually a series.) Depending on the scores and talent pool, there have been girls who made JV with a working/less than solid standing BHS. Stunting is optional for JV tryout but does help your score if you have experience (most girls are able to base or fly extensions at prep level.)

Again, every school is different. A few schools near us have JV programs that don't require tumbling at all.

Last edited:
Our JV team is essentially walk on. The girls have to tryout but I have never heard of someone not making JV regardless of their level of tumbling.

When I cheered for high school, our JV team required back handspring OR you had to show that you were working on one. A spotter was at tryouts for JV girls only.

We also had a stunting portion. Our tryouts were three days, so you got your stunt group on day one and JV was expected to have a half, straight up full, and a cradle as a minimum. Twist cradles got you bonus points. Full libs usually bumped you up to varsity if you were old enough.

However, I graduated four years ago and they changed their requirements this year. Our school has gotten a LOT better, so now JV requires handspring series minimum. Varsity requires tuck minimum.

Of course, there is an exception every few years. One girl when I cheered had no tumbling, but was probably the best back spot I've ever met.

Biggest advice is look interested, stand in the front line, smile, be respectful of the varsity girls (even if they aren't to you), and try for your absolute best. Judges can tell if you are trying :)

I am going to say that it really varies from school to school.

Our school is too small to even have a JV!

Stretch and start tumbling if possible! Also if there are open gyms before try outs try to attend. We kept in mind the girls we saw working really hard leading up to try outs. We have a pretty strong jv team don't have specific requirements for making the team, it depends on a few factors. Stunting is most important to us with tumbling a close second. But really just be willing to work and try new things! Good luck!

Everyone at my school is so vague about the requirements[emoji19] they say you don't need tumbling, but you need the basic jumps, and to memorize a dance. There's no way to ask the coach , as our grade(9th) is in a separate building across town from the 10th through 12th highschool where the jv coaches are, which is totally stupid because 9th is apart of the jv team but whatever[emoji21]

Everyone at my school is so vague about the requirements[emoji19] they say you don't need tumbling, but you need the basic jumps, and to memorize a dance. There's no way to ask the coach , as our grade(9th) is in a separate building across town from the 10th through 12th highschool where the jv coaches are, which is totally stupid because 9th is apart of the jv team but whatever[emoji21]

Are the coaches teachers? Do they have school emails?

It would be completely appropriate for you to email the coaches about specific questions. It would also show that you are interested and enthusiastic about doing your best when trying out.

Our JVs need a handspring series and 3 jump combo with whip approach minimum, plus stunting skills for those who build. They typically teach a cheer, chant, and dance at tryouts. You are evaluated on execution of skills, motions, and dance, projection, and ability to lead a crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are the coaches teachers? Do they have school emails?

It would be completely appropriate for you to email the coaches about specific questions. It would also show that you are interested and enthusiastic about doing your best when trying out.
That's exactly what I'm about to do. Hopefully they reply

Our JVs need a handspring series and 3 jump combo with whip approach minimum, plus stunting skills for those who build. They typically teach a cheer, chant, and dance at tryouts. You are evaluated on execution of skills, motions, and dance, projection, and ability to lead a crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Whoa[emoji15] when I go to jv games, our cheerleaders don't do much of anything. They do simple cheers and stand there looking cute most of the game.

Whoa[emoji15] when I go to jv games, our cheerleaders don't do much of anything. They do simple cheers and stand there looking cute most of the game.

Do your teams compete? Schools with competition teams have different standards than those who don't.

Do your teams compete? Schools with competition teams have different standards than those who don't.
We only have one team that competes, the Varsity Competition Cheer Team. The other three are strictly sideline

We only have one team that competes, the Varsity Competition Cheer Team. The other three are strictly sideline

Don't worry about tumbling then. You want to have tight, sharp motions and a loud, clear voice.

Do you have any dance experience? Helpful, but not essential.

Do the other exercises for strength for stunting!

Don't worry about tumbling then. You want to have tight, sharp motions and a loud, clear voice.

Do you have any dance experience? Helpful, but not essential.

Do the other exercises for strength for stunting!
I have no dance experience[emoji85] I'll try to enroll in a zumba or hip hop dance class at my local YMCA. Hopefully that'll help me get some rhythm lol. My arms are very skinny and scrawny, maybe weight lifting will help build muscle for being a base. I don't think I'll be a flyer in stunts because of my height.

Latest posts

Back