Killing Conditioning

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 19, 2015
My team and I started conditioning today and it was hell plain and simple. I honestly don't think my coach knows how to conditioning athletes right at all.
Today we did our usual 1 lap around our student parking lap at school, about half a mile, in the blazzing heat at 8am.
Then we split up into groups and did lunges, star jumps, side squat kicks, and walking on our tip toes holding a high V. We all had jelly legs.
We then stretched, which did no good and she made us do 200+ all together leg circles on each leg and then both legs together. Same with leg raises/taps. AND then we were made to jump, jelly legs and all and she got super mad when no one could jump more than 2 inches off the group. A couple of the freshman even fell onto the ground and almost faceplanted because our legs were giving out. One girl got extremely dizzy and puked and i did what any senior would do, confort her and tell her to close her eyes and breathe. My coach yelled at me and told the girl she HAD to jump, no choice, even if she was dizzy.
We went inside and split into 3 groups were we ran stairs even with jelly legs (you can imagine the amount of falling people did), calf raises, wall sits, push ups, and arm circles. Another "station" for abs we did 200 russian twists, 1 minute planks and some other weird pilates/yoga stuff one coach found on the internet.
For the last station you went to the varsity coach and she made you choose 4 squares and you had to jump in these sqaures in a specific pattern as fast as you could and if you stopped she yelled at you. Even on one leg.
Each station is about 15 minutes long. We did 3 rounds of them and then learned a few 8 counts at the end of practice to our camp dance where she insulted us even more.
I don't really know, but for a High School team that does no competitions or stunting, does that seem like appropriate condition??
* our conditioning is 4 hours long monday-friday with no breaks and we go back in and do the exact same thing tomorrow, no matter how sore we are.
Also, a total of 6 girls threw up and 2 passed out and she didn't care. At all.

"a total of 6 girls threw up and 2 passed out and she didn't care. At all. "

You need to document and report to her superiors.

My goodness between this thread and another that you posted earlier these stories of your coach are something out of a horror story. I would think if the coach is as bad as you say that parents will get involved very quickly. If these things are happening the parents and athletes should discuss this with the coach and athletic director together. Good luck!

4 hours, no break, in the sun, 2 girls losing consciousness with no one calling for help? If true, time to get parents involved.
She didn't think it was "serious enough" to call for help because they were out for less than the time it took her to walk to them. she made them sit for maybe 15 minutes before putting them back in to condition. One of the girl screamed she couldn't see, probably because she was seeing stars and the coach wouldn't even walk down to see if she was fine. She told me that she was going to wait for her to come back up the sidewalk to her. We got water breaks that were maybe 2 minutes at the max. But i dont count it as a break because we weren't even allowed to sit. You got a sip of water and were back out conditioning.

My goodness between this thread and another that you posted earlier these stories of your coach are something out of a horror story. I would think if the coach is as bad as you say that parents will get involved very quickly. If these things are happening the parents and athletes should discuss this with the coach and athletic director together. Good luck!
A lot of the parents don't care because the ones who could help the most think she's a super fantastic coach all because their daughters are all on varsity and have been since their freshman year, so they think nothing is wrong.

Yes I did and he saw that I couldn't walk well 3 hours after practice had finished and he tells me time and time again he's going to talk to the AD over her but he never has time because he works a lot.
So your dad is okay with this coach putting children's health and well being at risk? You could be next to pass out and possibly sustain life threatening head trauma in the process?

What state are you in and is cheer a recognized sport?? Feel free to pm me all related info including coaches name, school athletic director and superintendent of schools.

**Official dog paTROLL of Fierce Board**

Yes I did and he saw that I couldn't walk well 3 hours after practice had finished and he tells me time and time again he's going to talk to the AD over her but he never has time because he works a lot.
He could start with an email. Those can be sent at all hours of the day. If he doesn't know the email address, it's probably listed on the school's website. If not the AD, then definitely the principal.

This "coach" does not seem to be qualified to be running your team through conditioning drills. Everyone knows that you start slowly and gradually add more demanding drills as time goes on! She is going to cause injuries the way she is "conditioning" you guys! She is WAY out of line and she needs to be reported.

Back