OT Living With Aspergers/autism

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
My son is an Aspie so I totally understand the social issues. He has one best friend and doesn't seem to care if he has any more than that. Just this year he started to interact with other kids at school, but not a whole lot. The only sport he has ever done is indoor soccer. He was blessed with an amazing coach and a couple of the kids on his team have known him all his life so they sort of protected him. He gets better every year and more importantly he enjoys it. We have two kids in our cheer gym that have Aspergers and being on their teams has actually helped both of them become a little more social. I would encourage you to join a cheer gym and give it a try. Be sure to be open and honest with your coach about your challenges. Feel free to PM me any time if you have questions or want to chat!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My 19 year old brother was diagnosed in pre-k. My grandma was a teacher, mom is a principal and uncle is a special ed teacher so it was picked up early and he received very early intervention. His biggest issues are the social ones, but when he does open his mouth you can almost guarantee it will be sarcastic. My best friend has a younger sister his age who is what I would call his best friend. They beat each other up like siblings, but he would stick up off her in a heartbeat. Last year he went to his senior prom with the class president and I coached him in line dances. He is attending college like any regular kid, and I'm convinced he's smarter than I'll ever be. His nose is always in a book, usually about history and we have to make him put it down when we go out to dinner and our food comes. I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing about him :) Sorry if that was a ramble, but I'm amazed by him every single day.

Happy Autism Awareness day!

he seem like a good kid. i got my diagnosis late. like only two years ago late but it has amazed me how much easier having a diagnosis is. my problems is mostly social too and im a bit akward to say the least. i read a lot too. but my special intrest right now is cheer. i have never cheered and know things that not many swedish cheerleaders know and most i have learned through the boards!

My son is an Aspie so I totally understand the social issues. He has one best friend and doesn't seem to care if he has any more than that. Just this year he started to interact with other kids at school, but not a whole lot. The only sport he has ever done is indoor soccer. He was blessed with an amazing coach and a couple of the kids on his team have known him all his life so they sort of protected him. He gets better every year and more importantly he enjoys it. We have two kids in our cheer gym that have Aspergers and being on their teams has actually helped both of them become a little more social. I would encourage you to join a cheer gym and give it a try. Be sure to be open and honest with your coach about your challenges. Feel free to PM me any time if you have questions or want to chat!

thats good that the kids in your gym fits in good. i just fell like i would be the super odd one. im old too. 23 is really old in cheer (we do not have the agecap in sweden..) and being old and having aspergers and having my back problems should really make me popular... not.. im going to PM you if that is ok. i can never have to many to talk to.

Not sure if this is the place to post this but needed to vent and i searched and found nothing on here.. I have Aspergers Syndrome and it is pretty hard. My social life is.. well it is non existing. i have one real friend who lives like 380 miles from me. so i can not se her that often. and no one in my family really understand the struggle.. so i need to ask.. Does anyone on here have aspergers or know someone who does?? the reason why i ask is because im so tired of explaining to everyone the long version of what aspergers is and really would love to talk to someone about it. and i fell like it needs to be said. i think (but dont know only my thoughts here) that there needs to be cheerleaders out there with aspergers and how do you handle the social part of cheer? Im thonking about joining a level 1 team (all i can do with my back injury and in sweden you can be over 18 and on senior 1 teams. im 23) and need advice on how to handle the social bit and the pressure.

I know alot about aspergers and autism, i've been working with diagnosed children with (aspergers and autism) at a school in sweden since 2002 and i also coach cheerleading (since 2005) . If you wanna talk or just get advice on cheering och a gym or just the social bit, maybe i can help? Pm me if you're interested!

It's alright, a moderator will be able to merge both threads I think.

My cousin's been diagnosed with mild Asperger's syndrome also a few months ago (he's 11 so I imagine he's lucky to be diagnosed so young). He's always had a lot of social interactions. That's how his family is, so he's been used to it since birth. He's very outgoing, but he's also definitely insecure and can be very awkward in social interactions. He also needs moments alone, and I mean "needs". Not being allowed to be left alone when he needs to generates a lot of anxiety for him, but his parents are also careful to pull him out of his alone time, because he could stay in them forever otherwise. He craves being alone, but he fears loneliness desperately and sometimes you can tell he's very conflicted between the two. But he still goes to school normally, plays tennis and drums and that I know of, he socializes in all these activities (though they're not exactly team activities). Not sure it helps, but that's pretty much all I have on the subject.

It helps alot. I am basicly like that. my personality is really bubbly and i can seem social. but i feel akward being around people that i dont really know. i need my alone time to. but it can be hard to get that living with a grandmother that is old and do not understand my diagnosis. he is lucky to be diagnosed so early. i got my diagnosis at 21 in 2011.

It's alright, a moderator will be able to merge both threads I think.

My cousin's been diagnosed with mild Asperger's syndrome also a few months ago (he's 11 so I imagine he's lucky to be diagnosed so young). He's always had a lot of social interactions. That's how his family is, so he's been used to it since birth. He's very outgoing, but he's also definitely insecure and can be very awkward in social interactions. He also needs moments alone, and I mean "needs". Not being allowed to be left alone when he needs to generates a lot of anxiety for him, but his parents are also careful to pull him out of his alone time, because he could stay in them forever otherwise. He craves being alone, but he fears loneliness desperately and sometimes you can tell he's very conflicted between the two. But he still goes to school normally, plays tennis and drums and that I know of, he socializes in all these activities (though they're not exactly team activities). Not sure it helps, but that's pretty much all I have on the subject.

and sorry i double quote you but should i pm one of them or something and which one? thank you! i realised to late that i hade created this one twice.. typically me to do someting like that..

My oldest will be 14 soon (2.5 weeks) and has aspergers. He has one online friend and that is it. He doesn't cheer, but we have experience with the social stuff. You're welcome to pm me any time.

my only friend is basicly online as well. i have met her a few times but thats it. we live like almost 400 miles apart. (sweden is BIG.) going to PM you as well.

I have no idea about what you're dealing with, but I can totally understand about feeling like an outsider. The good news is- we have a lovely resource here full of people who are more than willing/happy to help you with what you need and even make your transition! You're in good hands.

I have no idea about what you're dealing with, but I can totally understand about feeling like an outsider. The good news is- we have a lovely resource here full of people who are more than willing/happy to help you with what you need and even make your transition! You're in good hands.

thank you! yeah the boards are great! that is why i wrote this! i have learned like everything i know about cheer that i know on the boards. but i kinda do not wanna comment on threads because i am afraid of being hated on..

I have coached kids with asperger in cheerleading, so I'm familiar with it (and very familiar with Swedish cheerleading). Let me know if you need any guidance, I would be happy to help.

I have coached kids with asperger in cheerleading, so I'm familiar with it (and very familiar with Swedish cheerleading). Let me know if you need any guidance, I would be happy to help.

i know who you are. i read your blog like every day! going to PM you if that is ok.

I am probably not going to start cheering. I feel like there is to much stopping me. My back problems is holding me back from ANY tumbling and i feel like being on a team and not tumble is not anything for me (not that i hate on others that cant tumble not in a million lifes.. i am such a big fan of you! i just dont not wanna be someone like that for myself) and i also feel too old. but thank you for your advice!

Back