OT Living With Aspergers/autism

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jun 3, 2013
Not sure if this is the place to post this but needed to vent and i searched and found nothing on here.. I have Aspergers Syndrome and it is pretty hard. My social life is.. well it is non existing. i have one real friend who lives like 380 miles from me. so i can not se her that often. and no one in my family really understand the struggle.. so i need to ask.. Does anyone on here have aspergers or know someone who does?? the reason why i ask is because im so tired of explaining to everyone the long version of what aspergers is and really would love to talk to someone about it. and i fell like it needs to be said. i think (but dont know only my thoughts here) that there needs to be cheerleaders out there with aspergers and how do you handle the social part of cheer?

Edited this post because im probaby not going to start cheer so deleted the bit about that. My back is really bad at the moment and i feel like i am to old too. but still going to be the biggest fan i can be!

Last edited:
I don't have Aspergers so I can't say "I know exactly how you feel" because I don't, but cheer was never a social thing for me. Even now at 22 I don't socialize with my team much at all. I just have trouble being the outgoing person that everyone else seems to be. I would encourage you to try cheering but look at it for the sport and not "making a million friends who all hang out together like all the time" because it isn't like that for everyone. It definitely isn't for me.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I don't have Aspergers so I can't say "I know exactly how you feel" because I don't, but cheer was never a social thing for me. Even now at 22 I don't socialize with my team much at all. I just have trouble being the outgoing person that everyone else seems to be. I would encourage you to try cheering but look at it for the sport and not "making a million friends who all hang out together like all the time" because it isn't like that for everyone. It definitely isn't for me.

Well i feel like you can have right. but im still insecure.. i feel like im going to be the outsider...

My brother has aspergers but he doesn't cheer so I probably can't help that much. He seems to do fine now that he's gotten involved with his church band where he met a bunch of people who like the same things as him, and he got to high school and our school is so big that there's really a space for everyone no matter what. But his is pretty mild and he was only officially diagnosed like 2 or 3 years ago (he's 15).

My brother has aspergers but he doesn't cheer so I probably can't help that much. He seems to do fine now that he's gotten involved with his church band where he met a bunch of people who like the same things as him, and he got to high school and our school is so big that there's really a space for everyone no matter what. But his is pretty mild and he was only officially diagnosed like 2 or 3 years ago (he's 15).

mines pretty mild too but i feel like it affects me. i did not have my diagnosis in school (i got it when i was 21 and in sweden you are 19 when you finish school) but i feel like that is a disavantage because everybody i knw with aspergers got it in school so they got help much earlier then me..

just realised i posted this thread twice... so just answer to this one and ignore the other one.. my mistake. did not meen to...

My oldest will be 14 soon (2.5 weeks) and has aspergers. He has one online friend and that is it. He doesn't cheer, but we have experience with the social stuff. You're welcome to pm me any time.

just realised i posted this thread twice... so just answer to this one and ignore the other one.. my mistake. did not meen to...

It's alright, a moderator will be able to merge both threads I think.

My cousin's been diagnosed with mild Asperger's syndrome also a few months ago (he's 11 so I imagine he's lucky to be diagnosed so young). He's always had a lot of social interactions. That's how his family is, so he's been used to it since birth. He's very outgoing, but he's also definitely insecure and can be very awkward in social interactions. He also needs moments alone, and I mean "needs". Not being allowed to be left alone when he needs to generates a lot of anxiety for him, but his parents are also careful to pull him out of his alone time, because he could stay in them forever otherwise. He craves being alone, but he fears loneliness desperately and sometimes you can tell he's very conflicted between the two. But he still goes to school normally, plays tennis and drums and that I know of, he socializes in all these activities (though they're not exactly team activities). Not sure it helps, but that's pretty much all I have on the subject.

mines pretty mild too but i feel like it affects me. i did not have my diagnosis in school (i got it when i was 21 and in sweden you are 19 when you finish school) but i feel like that is a disavantage because everybody i knw with aspergers got it in school so they got help much earlier then me..
I think joining a cheer team could really help you out, finding people who like what he likes and opportunities to do what he likes really helped my brother. I know it's annoying to explain but you'll definitely need to let your coach know so they can be on the same page as you, and it would probably help if your team knew, but I don't think they have to if you don't feel comfortable. You're an adult so you can probably decide for yourself if/when you want to explain it to the whole team. I think you should do it!

My 19 year old brother was diagnosed in pre-k. My grandma was a teacher, mom is a principal and uncle is a special ed teacher so it was picked up early and he received very early intervention. His biggest issues are the social ones, but when he does open his mouth you can almost guarantee it will be sarcastic. My best friend has a younger sister his age who is what I would call his best friend. They beat each other up like siblings, but he would stick up off her in a heartbeat. Last year he went to his senior prom with the class president and I coached him in line dances. He is attending college like any regular kid, and I'm convinced he's smarter than I'll ever be. His nose is always in a book, usually about history and we have to make him put it down when we go out to dinner and our food comes. I can honestly say I wouldn't change a thing about him :) Sorry if that was a ramble, but I'm amazed by him every single day.

Happy Autism Awareness day!

Well i feel like you can have right. but im still insecure.. i feel like im going to be the outsider...
I can't relate to the asperger's, but I can relate to being the outsider at cheer. I was most definitely the outsider (or felt like it) on every team I have ever been on. I can get pretty shy, and when everyone else cliqued, I never really did. It didn't make cheerleading any less enjoyable for me!

I can't relate to the asperger's, but I can relate to being the outsider at cheer. I was most definitely the outsider (or felt like it) on every team I have ever been on. I can get pretty shy, and when everyone else cliqued, I never really did. It didn't make cheerleading any less enjoyable for me!

well thats good (that you enjoyed cheer) but i feel like in sweden you need to clique with your team mates. there arent really gyms just clubs and they have e few sometimes even just one team and are like e big family.. so me not fitting in is going to be hard..

I think joining a cheer team could really help you out, finding people who like what he likes and opportunities to do what he likes really helped my brother. I know it's annoying to explain but you'll definitely need to let your coach know so they can be on the same page as you, and it would probably help if your team knew, but I don't think they have to if you don't feel comfortable. You're an adult so you can probably decide for yourself if/when you want to explain it to the whole team. I think you should do it!

thank you for your advice. im thinking about it. the problem is that i wanna compete and there are no senior level 1 teams close to me. the closest is like 240 miles away.. because all the prep teams are just younger girls here because they dont compete so it is only girls who are young and do not wanna compete yet.. and me being 23 i'm going to be the oldest by atleast 5 years..

Back