College Making A College Cheer Squad In My Year Abroad To The Us?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 28, 2010
Im 16, and the English equivilent of a Junior in highschool and Im trying to plan where I want to go for college...

Its possible to spend a year abroad from most UK univeristies, and me being the total cheer freak I am, would really love to spend it in the US...

Soo...my question is, do you think it would be possible for me to get onto a college cheer team for the year I spent abroad? Im not talking SFA or Louisville, but any average college squad?

Im 5"10, so I guess Im much more suited to all girl, but if I had the required skills for the team, would it be resonable to expect that me only being there for a year wouldnt hurt my chances?

Ive cheered since I was 9, assistant coach to the youth teams at my squad, and I got 11 A's in my GCSE's (the exams we take at 16)?

Any suggestions would be great thanks :)

As long as you are a student there for the entire year and have the skills then i don't think there will be a problem.

-First off, get an idea of what schools you would be able to study abroad at(whose credits will transfer for you/ have the program/major you need). Also look up if these schools even have an all girl/small coed team. Some large schools only have a coed, but will have a STUNT team or a competitive only all girl team instead.
-Second, when you have it narrowed down a bit, take a look at each school's tryout process which will usually be explained online around this time (spring). Some require you to send in a video, others want you to come in for a tryout weekend and so on , so be aware that you will probably have to fly out to the US in spring for a day or two to tryout even if you don't start taking classes until fall. Also be aware that even when a school says "skill requirements", those are the minimum requirements. Example: At larger schools, don't be surprised if the skill req. is a roundoff BHS tuck but a good chunk at tryouts are throwing fulls.
-Third, do as much research as you can on the programs you are interested in. Search youtube for past tryout videos, game performances, competition videos, etc. to see where your skills match up if possible. Take a look at the school's tryout score sheet if its online and see where you need to improve to get the highest possible tryout score.
- Finally, if you have questions or are seriously interested in a school, email the coach about your interest and see if they have any recommendations for you.
Good Luck! :)

That was just the info I was looking for, Im hoping to do psychology, so its a fairly common subject, but as soon as I choose my English uni, I can start working out my year abroad
Thanks again

At Robert Morris University in Western PA (Pittsburgh) we have tons of exchange students and lots of them stay for a year or more and do sports programs we also have a lottttt of other exchange kids here just for a semester. we have a cheerleading team as well! there's a team no matter your ability (as long as you can stunt) and do great motions, we have a tumbling and a non tumbling team. if you'd like to check out our team here's our website!

http://www.rmucolonials.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13900&ATCLID=801726
here's a video one of our seniors made
http://www.rmucolonials.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13900&ATCLID=801726

sorry that second link is the same, when I try pasting the video link it just puts the cheerleading page on it.....but if you look on youtube and search RMU Cheer there should be a video:)

Honestly, as a coach, if I saw that you were only going to be here for a year-that would weigh against you in tryouts. I'm being totally honest with you. I'm looking to build a program, not piece together a team year by year. I'm looking for athletes who will be committed to the program and are willing to do the long term work to build our program into a National Championship contender each and every year. If it came down to an exchange student who would be here for 1 year and a student who plans on being at the University for 4 years, and they have identical skills...I'm going with the athlete who is going to give me 4 years.

I'm not saying this to be mean, or rude, or to hurt feelings. I'm saying it because it's what I would do.

Back