All-Star Mental Blocks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 29, 2011
I'm 14 and I started cheering when I was 12. All my coaches say that I'm super super close to my back handspring and that I would have it if I just did it. But I have a hugeee mental block. Sometimes it's so bad that I'm do scared to do my BHS on the wedge with a spot. It has gotten progressively worse: I used to be able to do a BHS at the end of the wedge (almost on the floor) but now I'm too scared to even try it on the trampoline. How do I get rid of this mental block? I know I can do a back handspring, I did one before (about 6 months ago) but now I'm too scared to do them anymore!! It kills me so bad that I can't do it. I usually end up crying at practice because my coaches are pushing me to do it but I can't. Any advice?

This used to happen to me all the time. :( I know how it feels, and now I'm blocking on a running tuck which I had a year ago. Honestly, all you have to do is throw it. One day at practice it all just clicked and I did a standing BHS and round off BHS by myself, and I got specialty through to BHS in one practice. If your coaches say you're ready, you must be. You just have to trust yourself and your coaches, and just think "I CAN!" If you have any negative thoughts, try to think about something else, and don't wait before you go; as soon as you get to your spot just throw it so you have no time to think. If you feel really bad, do a fun tumbling pass even if it's just a round off, to gain your confidence back. You can always check out ForTheLoveOfTumbling if you think your block is bad enough. It might help! Good luck! :) You can do it! :)

This is from my story/ opinion for you, you may not agreee. But i got my full in 6th grade. I lost it a year later when I got diabetes.. then got everything back, and suddenly I just stopped tumbling. I was soo afraid to tumble it was sad but I got more frustrated when people would keep telling me it's all in your head, just do it.. it's not that easy. But what helped me is starting with basics to take my mind off of the tumbling, and then before you go for a skill don't think and take three breaths, you focus on them more so you just go. and even if nothing helps you, one day you will just throw it because you will be so frustrated it will just seem easier to go and get it over with.! I know this is a lot to read but trust me, it will all come with time! :] good luck girl. I know you can do it!

This is from my story/ opinion for you, you may not agreee. But i got my full in 6th grade. I lost it a year later when I got diabetes.. then got everything back, and suddenly I just stopped tumbling. I was soo afraid to tumble it was sad but I got more frustrated when people would keep telling me it's all in your head, just do it.. it's not that easy. But what helped me is starting with basics to take my mind off of the tumbling, and then before you go for a skill don't think and take three breaths, you focus on them more so you just go. and even if nothing helps you, one day you will just throw it because you will be so frustrated it will just seem easier to go and get it over with.! I know this is a lot to read but trust me, it will all come with time! :] good luck girl. I know you can do it!

this is pretty much just like my sisters story. she got diabetes 2 years ago?! and was tumbling AMAZING had her full and everything...then once she started having a hard time with her diabetes her tumbling started going down hill. Shes on so much insulin that its made her gain weight & now shes back at step 1 again...backhandsprings. but she doesnt give up. She is my hero! Hang in there girl, you all will get your tumbling back!

Back