Music Music Category On Scoresheet?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 3, 2011
I was looking at Cheer Music Productions website, (cheermusicpro.com) it said that competitions have began making music its own category on the scoresheet.

"Music has grown to be a very big part of the overall effect of cheerleading routines. Some competitions have even started making music its own category on the score sheet."

Is it true? And if so what competitions? Mini local competitions only I would hope! Judges looking at music as well would be a major step back for our industry!

I was looking at Cheer Music Productions website, (cheermusicpro.com) it said that competitions have began making music its own category on the scoresheet.

"Music has grown to be a very big part of the overall effect of cheerleading routines. Some competitions have even started making music its own category on the score sheet."

Is it true? And if so what competitions? Mini local competitions only I would hope! Judges looking at music as well would be a major step back for our industry!

i think what they meant, was like saying they take music into consideration when they score for the "overall effect" of the routine... if a team has horrible music, i will not be able to get into their routine as much. thus, the score decreasing to some degree.

i think what they meant, was like saying they take music into consideration when they score for the "overall effect" of the routine... if a team has horrible music, i will not be able to get into their routine as much. thus, the score decreasing to some degree.
I honestly disagree if this is the case, if a team can't find a mixer, or even the money to afford a top quality mix they shouldnt be deducted for it. To me cheer is about the talent the allstars bring to the floor

I honestly disagree if this is the case, if a team can't find a mixer, or even the money to afford a top quality mix they shouldnt be deducted for it. To me cheer is about the talent the allstars bring to the floor

oh, i completely agree. but im just saying that the quality of music can hype up the crowd, and the judges when watching a routine...

I do not believe that teams should be penalized for music at all. If this in anyway becomes a rule, there's a good chance that Cheerleading will end up like Gymnastics. Boring.

I think the subconscious hype that awesome music can give the team, the crowd and the judges is enough to affect the vibe of the routine, and it does have an impact on the score. We have all seen routines that are so-so, but when you add a really amazing mix, it's on fire! But a properly executed skill is objective, and measureable. Lord help Sr Elite if a judge absolutely despised Celine. Music is not a calculable skill and totally subjective.

I do not believe that teams should be penalized for music at all. If this in anyway becomes a rule, there's a good chance that Cheerleading will end up like Gymnastics. Boring.

I disagree. There are children in the audience and the music should be appropriate for them.

I disagree. There are children in the audience and the music should be appropriate for them.

You're right. haha... Let me clarify what I meant to say.

I do not believe that music should be a score on the score sheet. When you start regulating creativity you lose creativity. Music is an art form and not everyone sees or hears art the same way. Also, you would have to have a panel of Cheerleading Music Experts to set a standard scoring system for cheerleading music and that defeats creativity. It's not a win win in any situation to have music on the score sheet.

I go to music conferences every year and meet Musicians from all over the world. The Best in their fields. When they hear Cheerleading Music, they are blown away at the intricacy and even the engineering. Some of them wouldn't no where to start. The few producers that I've brought in are relearning their skills and thought process to producing music. Cheerleading Music is a whole world on it's on and it's too new for anyone to think that they are the authority on this art. The next phase of cheerleading Music producers are going to be so so talented. With music producers sharing their technical skills and thought process, you will have a nice group of really decent music producers that will be available in the coming years. I'm excited for this and will be helping a lot of people achieve better mixing skills. I hope that I will help the next producer that makes my jaw drop. Until then I'm still searching for the Chosen one. hehe

As a judge your music doesn't play a part at all in my judging, unless it includes profanity.

You're right. haha... Let me clarify what I meant to say.

I do not believe that music should be a score on the score sheet. When you start regulating creativity you lose creativity. Music is an art form and not everyone sees or hears art the same way. Also, you would have to have a panel of Cheerleading Music Experts to set a standard scoring system for cheerleading music and that defeats creativity. It's not a win win in any situation to have music on the score sheet.

We agree on this.

Back