All-Star New to All-Star Cheer competitions parent- HeIp, I don't know what I don't know!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 1, 2018
I have an older teen daughter competing in All-Star cheer this year and I am seeking any tips, things you wish you knew when you started, the ins and outs of how the competitions work. Also seeking any tips and info on Worlds. I am familiar with gymnastics competitions but not cheer. A few questions I know I have: How does awards work, does everyone stay until the very end of the competition or are you done after your division competes? Do you have any free time during the weekend or are you pretty much at the arena the whole time? What are typical spectator fees and are there parking fees? What are the best tips and tricks you have learned to survive the weekend/make it more enjoyable? Thanks for helping out a clueless newbie!

A lot of the answers to those questions will be completely dependent on your gym. Some gyms will release you after your awards, some won't. Some will make you watch all of the teams in your gym both days, some will have a schedule of teams for you to watch. Your gym will let you know arrival times, release times and what teams you have to watch.

Awards are usually a few hours after your division completes. Completely opposite of gymnastics, you won't know your teams placement until then. Generally, all the teams in the division will be up on the stage/floor for awards. If there are specialty awards, these are usually given out then. Worlds/Summit bids are announced via video on the Monday following the event.
You will have free time during competitions. You may not have enough free time to go exploring the city you are in, but that is completely dependent on your gym.
Spectator and parking fees will vary from competition to competition. One day comps are cheaper than two day. The competition companies should have that posted on their website. It's been awhile since I've paid an entry fee, but I would guess $50 for a 2-day. Parking fees are almost always at the discretion of the arena, and that should also be posted somewhere online.
As for tips and tricks, wear comfy shoes/clothing. Don't buy souvenir t-shirt etc at every competition. Bring snacks/easy breakfast etc for the hotel so you don't have to eat crap all weekend.
Lastly, enjoy every second. It will be a shared experience with you and your daughter. Competitions are fun, and the memories last forever. It's over all too fast.

Have fun! Enjoy your daughter competing in this sport!!! Bring your own food/drinks with larger competitions and divisions being spread out every other or sometimes every 3 rd team it can be a long space of time between competing and awards!! $30 -$50 entry fee for 2 day competition, costly to bring family and friends to watch..,,

Survival tips:
*Cell coverage is not always great in and around the arenas. Collaborate with friends with varying cell plans to make sure you're not missing out on texts.
*Expect a lot of traffic around the arenas. We would double, sometimes triple, the time it would take us to normally get to an arena and just be 10-15 minutes early.
*Pre-purchase online for close parking at Cheersport if you're attending. Comfy shoes can't be stressed enough for Cheersport, this includes athletes who will have bruised feet if they stay all day in cheer shoes.
*Put your athletes name on all uniform pieces, practice wear, t-shirts, warm ups, etc. They will usually get back to you if left or accidentally switched.

Make new friends and enjoy the time with your daughter!

Get to know who takes the pictures and videos and shares them with the other parents so you don't feel like you have to watch everything through your camera. You can buy the professional ones just like gymnastics but it seems like each team has a parent that prides themselves on making the videos!
I also found that my cheer comp days were longer than my gym meet days, the check in times were much earlier than the actual competition time.
Maybe this was just my kid, but no matter how many snacks or how much hair spray I packed, there was often a panicked call prior to the comp- mom, can you bring me something? I need it right away.

I have an older teen daughter competing in All-Star cheer this year and I am seeking any tips, things you wish you knew when you started, the ins and outs of how the competitions work. Also seeking any tips and info on Worlds. I am familiar with gymnastics competitions but not cheer. A few questions I know I have: How does awards work, does everyone stay until the very end of the competition or are you done after your division competes? Do you have any free time during the weekend or are you pretty much at the arena the whole time? What are typical spectator fees and are there parking fees? What are the best tips and tricks you have learned to survive the weekend/make it more enjoyable? Thanks for helping out a clueless newbie!
12 year Veteran Cheer Dad here, read through what is here and here is what I will add:
1. Pricing is incorrect for this year, range for a 2 day comp is $45-70 for 22-23(WSF as a note which is a mid sized competition is $57.45 for a 2 day adult ticket).
2. Find out who is videoing if you want to get a video, but if that is prearranged take the time to watch you child and cheer loud. The athlete's will feed off the energy from the crowd. Nothing drives me more nuts when waiting for my daughter's teams to go on then watching an entire team where everyone has there phone above their head filming and is completely silent because they don't want to hear themselves in the video.
3. When links for Stay to Play competition hotels come out, book immediately.
4. At large competitions such as Cheersport and NCA they often will run out of the spirit wear pretty quickly so I would advise if your know your child will want a shirt/sweatshirt, etc to go as early as possible.
5. Many competitions serve alcohol, and there is nothing wrong with having a drink, but understand you are there for your child and not just to party so don't over do it. Seen way to many times where a stunt drops during a performance and to drunk parents from that gym start loudly blaming each other.
6. Ultimately remember you are their for your child and if they are new to performing in the sport they are likely to be nervous, and there will also be times that things just won't go there way(a stunt will drop, the judges might not score the routine the way they feel it should be, etc). Be positive and support your child.

Back