One Answer To: "how Much Do You Have To Weigh To Be A Flyer?"

Discussion in 'College Cheerleading, NCATA, & STUNT' started by StuntMonkey, Jan 28, 2013.

1. scaliaa

scaliaa They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Great post

2. meetmeat_themat

meetmeat_themat I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    If it makes anyone feel better on my university all-girl team I'm one of the shortest flyers at 5ft4 but I'm naturally more stocky in the 110lbs - 120lbs range. The flyers on my team tend to be tall (around 5ft5+) but slim. Meanwhile I'm always in a battle to not put on too much muscle. Different strokes for different folks!

3. pochantas22

pochantas22 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    My daughter is 4' 11 and weights 80 pounds. Is she on the small side or in the middle for college flyers on coed??

4. SharkDad

SharkDad Most Positive, Best Parent '12 Staff Member National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    shark_dad
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    If you read the original post you can compare flyer examples. She's the same size as the smaller example.

5. ScottyB

ScottyB I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    She is definitely in the small child/cheer baby (lol) category

6. Lisa Seye

Lisa Seye I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Mine is 5'2 and weighs 80 pounds. She's all legs. She still has a couple years to grow too. Not sure how this will translate to college cheer....

7. Glitzandglam05

Glitzandglam05 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    5'3 and I use to fly. I was pretty much a giraffe flyer

8. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Old thread, but the only one I have seen that does a good job explaining this topic. I recently had a parent send me this article, then proceeded to say that it is a misconception that size matters for flying in college cheer. I am at a loss for words. Everyone LOVED Weber and their crazy elite stunts. The majority of their elite flyers on the comp. mat were tiny. If you want to know the true size of flyers just look at videos and social media of the teams you are interested in.

https://cheerleadingdaily.wordpress...3_s7ASziCd4gDve3DF9_ZrnVvge3A4BUSuI0qZVSCyb5o

9. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    @King do you still Coach for Georgia Tech Coach?

10. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    For the most part, I agree with this article. I think the biggest factor in everything is the skill. But physics obviously plays a role. Smaller girls (or guys) are easier to throw higher. But, if you have a 120 lb flyer who is excellent and can hit any stunt she throws, compared to an 80lb weight noodle who falls out of everything, it's obvious who should get the spot. But if you have the same 120lb vs 80lb and they can hit stunts relatively equally, then the smaller girl would be more likely to get the spot.
    The other key component in college cheer is those mid-layer flyers. They are more likely to be on the "bigger" side (obviously not big). They are often just as, if not more important than the top girl flyers that just get chucked in the air. The skill and strength for those positions is often higher, and larger/more muscular flyers work better.

11. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  12. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Look at every collegiate team winning their division at UCA/NCA.

You'd be hard-pressed to find one with flyers taller than 5'1. 5'2 is pushing it.

It's no secret that the current Most Popular All Star Cheerlebrity from That Meme is not short. I think that visibility of taller flyers like her gives parents/athletes a false sense of "Tall girls can totally fly at top programs! See! She is 5'8."

The thing is, the most visible tall girls like her ARE EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD. So good that you can overlook the height/size.

If you are unusually tall for a flyer, you have to almost be twice as good as someone who is exceptional and small. Can you middle layer? Maybe but most coaches are looking for that height to benefit them as as backspot really. Especially on all girl teams.

13. Keep_Believing

Keep_Believing Moderator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    stormydakota
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    @oncecoolcoachnowmom Completely agree. I am all about blunt honest, although there are exceptions, most College flyers are shorter and smaller than average. And now everyone wants to see cool/elite one-man coeds like handskis, one-to-ones, double ups, etc. When you throw those skills in full-out routines physics come into play. And at the elite College level, there are tons of tiny skilled elite flyers with great technique to pick from.

14. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    My frame of reference is HS but when I actively coached, I always had more than enough flyer talent at tryouts.

Between upcoming kiddos feeding in from the middle schools and returners, I had more than you could shake a stick at.

You know what I always found myself in need of? Strong backspots.

Anyone who came in the door at 5'8+, I was SUPER interested in seeing if they could backspot (even if they were normally a main/side base or had never really stunted before.)

I'd be curious as to whether collegiate cheer tryouts these days are similar - but I assume that there's never a shortage of capable flyers under 5'2.

15. King

King Is all about that bass Staff Member

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    fierceboard
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Verified Member:
    King Harrison
    Georgia Tech Coach
    I do not. I left that job in 2013 to help with my nieces. Their parents had gone through a divorce.