OT Paleo Diet

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 29, 2012
I have decided that I am going to begin to eat Paleolithic. Anyone have any tips? I got a pretty good cookbook, but if anyone can recommend any, or any sites to visit that would be a huge help!

Chowstalker, for any and all recipes! It's actually very easy once you commit to it though, and requires a lot less thinking than most diets. We swear by it in this house, even though we are nowhere near as good as we should be.

Thanks! I already know it's going to be a little bit of give and take, since I love me some dairy, but I figure once we get going on it it will be easier. I made a great dinner last night and my boyfriend kept asking me "this is all ok to eat? Are you sure?" The biggest problem for me right now is trying to figure out what I can eat for breakfast when I have limited time in my morning routine to really make something from scratch.

From what I understand it's no gluten, no wheat, little to no dairy unless its raw or unprocessed, and no processed food. One site I looked at simply put it as "if it comes in a box don't eat it." It consists of natural foods, lots of meats and veggies.

The basic idea is primal eating, which is meat, fruits, and vegetables.. No processed foods from a box, and nothing that is "diet" food (because diet food usually means crazy chemicals to replace the flavor). No wheat and flour and carbs pretty much, but you aren't counting carbs either. You are just eating natural carbs and sugar instead of processed stuff.
It is very easy to follow, and the results are crazy. It's something you can do the rest of your life I think. You feel a ton better. You eat full fat food which scares some people, but you are full. You are never hungry. You can eat out at restaurants and not count calories, and it doesn't consume every single part of your day like normal diets do for me. When my fiance tried to lose weight for a contest at work, he lost 19 pounds in about 6 weeks following paleo (and he is not big to begin with).

My little brother does cross fit. His trainer was the one that drilled in my mom's head that he needed to do the paleolithic thing. So she walks in the house today, after grocery shopping and his workout- with a 3 pound pack of bacon. But no...it's on the diet. I'm just sort of not grasping how eating an apple- and a pound of bacon is considered 'healthy eating'. Sure, bacon is a meat, but aren't you supposed to be eating lean meats? Bacon is most definitely the least lean of them all. someone just tell her before I go insane. no mom, bacon will never be healthy like you want it to be!

Actually, bacon (nitrate and sugar-free) is pretty much a staple of Paleo diets. There is a lot of research that healthy fat (of which bacon is one type, along with coconut oil, lard, olive oil only when not cooked) actually helps keep cholesterol levels in check, especially when highly processed carbs aren't included in the diet.

For breakfast, eggs and bacon are really quick and easy. Get a cast iron pan. Use it. Love it. You can also take nitrate free sausage, fill muffin tins (use cupcake papers or grease the tins) 1/3 of the way with sausage, then crack an egg on top of each muffin, then cook in a 350 oven for 25-30 min. You can refrigerate these for five days or freeze to eat later.

i think we should all eat like this all the time... but i love certain foods a little too much to give them up completely.

I did paleo at the beginning of the summer and lost 6lbs my first week! i plan to start back within this month

Apparently I'm doing this without even knowing, except the dairy (I eat Greek yogurt). Maybe I'll read up on it - shouldn't be hard to fully conform to it, since the way you're describing it is how I've been eating for a couple months. (minus a few "bad" days :eek:). I've been going to the gym like a fiend too, and I've lost 23 pounds so apparently this works!

Apparently I'm doing this without even knowing, except the dairy (I eat Greek yogurt). Maybe I'll read up on it - shouldn't be hard to fully conform to it, since the way you're describing it is how I've been eating for a couple months. (minus a few "bad" days :eek:). I've been going to the gym like a fiend too, and I've lost 23 pounds so apparently this works!

It really is a pretty easy "diet" to follow - just eat whole, real foods, avoid grains, legumes, etc. People get kind of freaked out because the whole "eat like a cave man, hurr hurr hurr" thing seems kind of like a fad diet, but when you get into the meat and (sweet) potatoes of it, it is pretty reasonable. I eat more vegetables now than I ever have, and I've always been a relatively "healthy" eater.

If you want to eat dairy, that's cool - check out the "primal" way of eating: it allows for more variations than strict paleo.

i love the idea of paleo, but you can't do paleo and be a vegetarian at the same time since that would take all my protein sources away... so i guess it's not for me, huh? :confused:

however, i do have a paleo banana bread recipe that i could live off of.

Back