Parent Problems On A Rec Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 23, 2015
This is my second season with this rec team but my 10th season coaching. I've never run into this issue before. When the girls arrive late after the game kickoff they have to wait in ready stance for 10 minutes then may join the rest of the team in cheering. This was discussed before our first game of the season. I had a parent who was late all last season ( hence the reason for this policy) and she got in my face at last nights practice in front of the whole organization and told me "that I can't expect her to be on time for game since they need to arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled kickoff." I'm at a loss for words. I have no idea how to respond to her... Any advice?

This is my second season with this rec team but my 10th season coaching. I've never run into this issue before. When the girls arrive late after the game kickoff they have to wait in ready stance for 10 minutes then may join the rest of the team in cheering. This was discussed before our first game of the season. I had a parent who was late all last season ( hence the reason for this policy) and she got in my face at last nights practice in front of the whole organization and told me "that I can't expect her to be on time for game since they need to arrive 30 minutes before the scheduled kickoff." I'm at a loss for words. I have no idea how to respond to her... Any advice?

Tell her this isn't the activity/sport for them then and you wish them well.

Oh how I wish I could. Were like pop warner but without all the rules and no competitions (yet). You pay and your child is on the team...

Wow. My CP does middle school cheer and an AS team. I am floored sometimes by school parents' actions. They have us parents trained at AS gym. We had a school parent yesterday upset with the coach for giving two demerits for someone deciding to just skip practice but it was our first home game, the girls were doing great and this mom had the coach trapped for a good 20 minutes airing out her issues in front of everyone. Wasn't cool.

I know a few of the parents have an issues with me as cheer commissioner because I'm on the younger side but have more than enough experience. And they HATE the fact that my daughter always flys, but I'm not the coach... but somehow its still my issue.. ugh just venting.

I know a few of the parents have an issues with me as cheer commissioner because I'm on the younger side but have more than enough experience. And they HATE the fact that my daughter always flys, but I'm not the coach... but somehow its still my issue.. ugh just venting.

Your initial post leads us to believe you are the coach of this team but the last one says you aren't, but rather the programs cheer commissioner. What am i missing?

Is there a reason the family cannot be at a game 30 minutes prior to the beginning?

Edited for spelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your initial post leads us to believe you are the coach of this team but the last one says you aren't, but rather the programs cheer commissioner. What am i missing?

Is there a reason the family cannot be at a game 30 minutes prior to the beginning?

Edited for spelling.

I am both. We have another coach who has the official title of head coach but she ant always be there due to work. No reason she cant make it on time. She doesn't show up to practice on time either...

Always bring it back to safety. I'm sorry ma'am, it isn't safe for your daughter to jump right into cheering at the game without a proper warm up (not sure if this will work, though, if you make them stand around for ten minutes - what is the reasoning for that? Can you make the "punishment" for being late something that is a disincentive to arriving late yet is still productive, like a set amount of time warming up/stretching/etc before being allowed to cheer with the rest of the team?)

I'm not coaching rec anymore, but I did for 15 years. Every single policy was instituted for safety reasons. Miss a practice before a game? You won't be able to do the half time routine, because we do stunts and you're not properly prepared to safely do those stunts. Miss a practice in the two weeks prior to competition? Sorry, you missed important instruction time that may make it unsafe for you to compete - no competition.

If you can always back your policies up with safety as the driving impetus, you will be supported by parents and your organization.

Always bring it back to safety. I'm sorry ma'am, it isn't safe for your daughter to jump right into cheering at the game without a proper warm up (not sure if this will work, though, if you make them stand around for ten minutes - what is the reasoning for that? Can you make the "punishment" for being late something that is a disincentive to arriving late yet is still productive, like a set amount of time warming up/stretching/etc before being allowed to cheer with the rest of the team?)

I'm not coaching rec anymore, but I did for 15 years. Every single policy was instituted for safety reasons. Miss a practice before a game? You won't be able to do the half time routine, because we do stunts and you're not properly prepared to safely do those stunts. Miss a practice in the two weeks prior to competition? Sorry, you missed important instruction time that may make it unsafe for you to compete - no competition.

If you can always back your policies up with safety as the driving impetus, you will be supported by parents and your organization.
The standing is because they aren't allowed to do anything but cheer on the sidelines. No warming up, no jumps or stunts. With a limited coaching staff we cant be in two places at once. I'll reiterate our policy and put an emphasis on safety and warming up along with stretching. I'll also give out yet another copy of our league rules stating what the the girls can and can not do on the sidelines.

Thank you all so much for your advice and timely manor. I look forward to being part of this board!

I am both. We have another coach who has the official title of head coach but she ant always be there due to work. No reason she cant make it on time. She doesn't show up to practice on time either...
Makes sense, thank you.

SarahS has the right idea. It's all about the safety.

Not sure the age group but Another thing you could try that I did while coaching a different sport is to not begin practices or game day warmups until this family arrives. Just sit the whole team down and do nothing. Stress thorough out practices that you are all a team.

If you try this maybe you should talk to the overall organization commissioner to let them know what you're doing just in case the phone calls begin. In my scenario the kids were high school age but the message was clear.

Makes sense, thank you.

SarahS has the right idea. It's all about the safety.

Not sure the age group but Another thing you could try that I did while coaching a different sport is to not begin practices or game day warmups until this family arrives. Just sit the whole team down and do nothing. Stress thorough out practices that you are all a team.

If you try this maybe you should talk to the overall organization commissioner to let them know what you're doing just in case the phone calls begin. In my scenario the kids were high school age but the message was clear.

They are all little girls. Kinder-5th grade. The president of the organization as well as the board of directors are on my side as football has the same policy.

They are all little girls. Kinder-5th grade. The president of the organization as well as the board of directors are on my side as football has the same policy.
Might be too young to try that then but then again the sooner you can train the parents the better.

Back