Partner Stunting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

J

Justin

I just started cheerleading two weeks ago. And the cheer coach wants me parnter stuning, which I extrememly like. But I'm having a huge problem. I am able to do toss to chair and walk in to hands already. But for some reason when I do toss to hands I don't feel like I'm getting the flyer up high enough to catch she keeps getting caught on my shoulders. Is there any technique that i should know for how to toss her higher.

its your flyers job to jump and your job to help her
Your flyer should use all her leg muscles to jump up and you should dip with her using your legs to throw her that extra bit so that she feels weightless.
Once your flyer is up and tight you should be able to get under her and catch the toss.
Just talk it over with your flyer, ask her to jump a little higher and you make sure you guide her up with your strength.

I definitely agree with the post above, but I think another thing that would help is making sure you don't finish the toss too soon.

When new boys are learning to stunt with me they often 'toss' at chest height because they are getting ready to catch it, and it means there isn't enough air time and they end up missing my feet or grabbing my ankles. You really want to follow through with your arms and flight right at the top above your head, and then settle and catch the feet at chest height. Make sure you use your legs to get extra height. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it's a little hard to explain.

Also, timing takes a LONG time to get used to. Every boy I work with is completely different and it takes time to get into the groove, so just keep working at it :)

Thank you, yeah we have been practicing partner stunting for about maybe 4 hours cuz we only try new techniques at private practices where its just two flyers and me and another guy. Do you think if I have our coach video tape it, I could see where we/I needed to do better at. I really wanna get to toss to lib cupie by the 20th.

I feel like I should be strong enough to do thiese stunts. I am an ex college football defensive end for the school I am now cheering for. I got hurt and lost my football scholarship. As of right now my 1rpm for my main lifts are, bench -315, squat-625, hang clean-290, and push presh-245.

I feel like I should be strong enough to do thiese stunts. I am an ex college football defensive end for the school I am now cheering for. I got hurt and lost my football scholarship. As of right now my 1rpm for my main lifts are, bench -315, squat-625, hang clean-290, and push presh-245.

It's only about strength to a point. Even the strongest guys take a bit to learn, it's all about technique in. Get lots of reps in, that's really the best advice I can give. Like someone else said, make sure you're following through all the way and not cutting off your toss, and also make sure that she's not doing the same. She could be flicking early. It's possible the two of you are having timing issues as well, it just takes some time.

Also, it's pretty unlikely that you'll get to toss cupie by the 20th. Nothing against your skills, just being realistic. It really is about a lot more than just strength.

Back