Paying For Allstar Cheer Myself (at 16)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At 16, you should be eligible to work in restaurants and retail, so you can look for jobs there. I manage a fast-casual and the night shift is 5-11pm, which is pretty normal for a lot of places. I've heard Starbucks pays decently.

Or, you can present your case to your parents and explain that you are committed to cheering again (give the reasons why you love it) but also acknowledge that it will be a financial burden for you. Explain to them that you can afford X amount and will need to make Y amount to fill in the gaps. See if they will pay you the remainder in exchange for extra chores. My mom used to pay me to scrub the grout in our tile. I made about 500 bucks by the time I was done with the whole house.

You can also dog sit, house sit, tutor other students (if you have good enough grades), or offer to do chores at your friend's houses. Your gym might also be willing to "pay" you (basically cover some of your fees) if you clean the gym. (vacuuming, scrubbing mats, cleaning bathrooms etc)
Hmm, I was just wondering... At 16, I am thinking, 1st, you as a minor cannot sign any contracts with any gym...
2nd, If your parents are not supporting your cheer dream are they signing off on these papers... Matter of fact, most gyms requires a credit/debit card on file to ensure payments... Do you have another way to pay for cheer...

3rd, I hate to be stickler for the law, but as a minor, a gym cannot travel out of state with you, unless the parent give them permission to do so or sign all waivers and guardianship paperwork or you file to be emancipated. This is a definite liability when you think of insurance, medical insurance, etc... I really doubt if a Gym Owner and/or Coach will sign up for this responsibility...js
At the age of 16, you are still a minor.

Back