Performance Tools

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cRayCheerDad

Cheer Parent
Dec 15, 2014
Looking for tools (apps) to help assist in progression in tumbling. Anyway to monitor performance? Video store feedback etc???

My suggestion is to pass on anything like this. The usasf does have a skills evaluation sheet I have known gyms to use once a year. This in my opinion is enough. If you are putting something like this in front of cp, especially at home, it can add to the pressure to gain skills and if they don't come along quick enough can lead to frustration self doubt. Neither of which are good.

By video store feedback of you are referring to doing your own video analysis of their skills that I strongly disagree with. Leave the coaching to the coaches. Your job is to love, support, offer encouragement, and keep it fun.
Something like this could also add to sibling rivalry since a checklist of sorts is more measurable.

**i am so incompetent I can't even be wrong**

My suggestion is to pass on anything like this. The usasf does have a skills evaluation sheet I have known gyms to use once a year. This in my opinion is enough. If you are putting something like this in front of cp, especially at home, it can add to the pressure to gain skills and if they don't come along quick enough can lead to frustration self doubt. Neither of which are good.

By video store feedback of you are referring to doing your own video analysis of their skills that I strongly disagree with. Leave the coaching to the coaches. Your job is to love, support, offer encouragement, and keep it fun.
Something like this could also add to sibling rivalry since a checklist of sorts is more measurable.

Just quoting to give it a full :shimmy:

Looking for tools (apps) to help assist in progression in tumbling. Anyway to monitor performance? Video store feedback etc???
For what purpose? If you are a coach there are some apps available. They are not suitable for parents though.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

I guess I am looking for something that will track progression. Store videos to review and refer to when skills need work. Tumble coaches rotate quite a bit ( which is fine and healthy) but it would be nice to have a tool to refer to when a new coach arrives to show where the CP is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I am looking for something that will track progression. Store videos to review and refer to when skills need work. Tumble coaches rotate quite a bit ( which is fine and healthy) but it would be nice to have a tool to refer to when a new coach arrives to show where the CP is.

Coaches don't have the time nor desire to see videos from every parent of the athletes they coach. A good coach will easily figure out "where the CP is" by watching the athlete.

Let the coaches coach and you be the parent. In my experience, doesn't mean it is everywhere, coaches do not want to be approached by parents showing video of that nature unless they are looking for something specific.

A new coach can do a quick evaluation by asking the athlete and then looking at some tumbling. Video is too easily edited. A person could record 100 BHS where 99 bust and they keep the 1 that hit and say they have that skill when in reality they don't.

Let me be more specific .. I am crystal clear on the parent/coach part...The tool would not be for me specifically.

I notice going into a few gyms a few constant issues.

1. Parents want more information
2. Coaches want to coach
3. Tumble coaches are not always on the same page as team coaches.(things get lost in translation or in coaching/tumble coach churn)
4. During tryouts(to your point) someone pulls out a 1/100 tumble pass that lands them on the wrong team etc. (Exception not the rule)

I was just wondering if there were any tools out there where a gym could track progression of an athlete and progress could be stored on a profile etc.. Not sure if coaches would actually use something like this or not but...that 9 posts later was actually my real question [emoji1]. (And why I am a newbie)

Let the coaches coach and you be the parent. In my experience, doesn't mean it is everywhere, coaches do not want to be approached by parents showing video of that nature unless they are looking for something specific.

A new coach can do a quick evaluation by asking the athlete and then looking at some tumbling. Video is too easily edited. A person could record 100 BHS where 99 bust and they keep the 1 that hit and say they have that skill when in reality they don't.

I have coach's eye on my phone. CP's lesson coach often asks me to video things with my phone for her to refer to at home. He will have me take a video, look at it with both of us, explain the technique error, how to improve it, and what drills could be helpful at home. He will take another video once she has applied the correction, show us the difference, and move on. She is able to keep the videos to track her progression. I think it is useful for keeping me, CP and coach on the same page. I like to understand what is going on, and I think it helps when CP wants to talk to me about something. I get where she is coming from. The coach appreciates that I am clued in and he doesn't have to spend so much time explaining why he is doing this or that at every lesson. I don't think a parent has to be completely ignorant of what the coach is doing and why.

Because of the many small conversations we have had in the past, I understand why he is fixing her rebound out of a BHS now, its because it will effect her set for tucks, ect. I like having that knowledge, not so I can coach my kid, but so I can understand WHY a coach asks her to do something and am able to explain it to her. I like her being able to see how far she has come via the videos, and that she is learning to watch a video of herself and spot the technique errors. More than anything else, it has improved her body awareness and helped her learn to self correct tumbling errors. I think having that kind of dialog is helpful and cuts down on parents second guessing the coach's methods. If I understand WHY you are doing it that way, I am less likely to insist I know better. There are a lot of parents out there who insist once they can do a handspring, they are ready for tucks, ect. I think having a solid explanation of what is going on and a way to understand proper progression really cuts down on those kinds of parent-coach confrontations.

Let me be more specific .. I am crystal clear on the parent/coach part...The tool would not be for me specifically.

2. Coaches want to coach
3. Tumble coaches are not always on the same page as team coaches.(things get lost in translation or in coaching/tumble coach churn)
4. During tryouts(to your point) someone pulls out a 1/100 tumble pass that lands them on the wrong team etc. (Exception not the rule)

I was just wondering if there were any tools out there where a gym could track progression of an athlete and progress could be stored on a profile etc.. Not sure if coaches would actually use something like this or not but...that 9 posts later was actually my real question [emoji1]. (And why I am a newbie)

Our gym uses a spreadsheet on a piece of paper that goes into a binder. For the coaches to use. The kids tumbling are encouraged to speak up if they have concerns or questions.

I have coach's eye on my phone. CP's lesson coach often asks me to video things with my phone for her to refer to at home. He will have me take a video, look at it with both of us, explain the technique error, how to improve it, and what drills could be helpful at home. He will take another video once she has applied the correction, show us the difference, and move on. She is able to keep the videos to track her progression. I think it is useful for keeping me, CP and coach on the same page. I like to understand what is going on, and I think it helps when CP wants to talk to me about something. I get where she is coming from. The coach appreciates that I am clued in and he doesn't have to spend so much time explaining why he is doing this or that at every lesson. I don't think a parent has to be completely ignorant of what the coach is doing and why.

Because of the many small conversations we have had in the past, I understand why he is fixing her rebound out of a BHS now, its because it will effect her set for tucks, ect. I like having that knowledge, not so I can coach my kid, but so I can understand WHY a coach asks her to do something and am able to explain it to her. I like her being able to see how far she has come via the videos, and that she is learning to watch a video of herself and spot the technique errors. More than anything else, it has improved her body awareness and helped her learn to self correct tumbling errors. I think having that kind of dialog is helpful and cuts down on parents second guessing the coach's methods. If I understand WHY you are doing it that way, I am less likely to insist I know better. There are a lot of parents out there who insist once they can do a handspring, they are ready for tucks, ect. I think having a solid explanation of what is going on and a way to understand proper progression really cuts down on those kinds of parent-coach confrontations.
This is fantastic input! This is the type of responses/concerns and thirst for knowledge I hear from most parents. (some not so much) which is fine..I have a great working relationship with my CP's coaches. I do not ask for input out of respect, but they provide it anyway. I am thinking a tool like this could help support a coaches cause and the before/after video validation can go a long way with the "WHY" they are progressing on a skill more importantly buy in from the Athlete. I appreciate all the feedback!

Interesting. All the gyms we have been with have an opposite philosophy. Maybe cp just isn't at the right one. <<< just kidding.

2. Coaches want to coach

Putting it this way your query takes a different perspective.

Interesting. All the gyms we have been with have an opposite philosophy. Maybe cp just isn't at the right one. <<< just kidding.

I guess different things work for different coaching styles? I love this coach and appreciate being kept on the loop. It works for us at least.

Latest posts

Back