Physio Tape - General Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 7, 2012
I'm probably five years late asking this question but I've just recently learned about Physio and Kinesio tape. Do a lot of cheerleaders use it now and what is your experience with it?

I'm probably five years late asking this question but I've just recently learned about Physio and Kinesio tape. Do a lot of cheerleaders use it now and what is your experience with it?

My cp has used it, but only after airrosti or myofacial work, to help support the muscle worked on and speed the healing. It never stuck long on her to really have a full effect (she was only 8 and not careful by any stretch). I would say the muscle work done in her was by far more beneficial than the tape itself and she could live without it, but it did help to be taped when she had to be a practice and was still injured.

I use a brand of KT tape. I just love it.
I sprained my ankle about a month ago, regular strapping tape was great while it was still swollen.
once the swelling went down, I still had had to strap it to resist some of the moment but it was too much and i couldn't jump of it. unfortunately cheer leading involves a lot of jumping.
I switched to KP tape which is more flexible. It still gives me the support i need but it lets me move my foot as well, which is perfect for what i need. Also because its flexible i can loosen it as my ankle heals so i don't have to just stop using tape.
plus it comes in great colors :)

only problem is it doesn't stick as well, but i just put a small piece of regular tape over the join to join them together and also the strap the goes across my foot connecting to the edge of the tape and my skin and it keeps it on for the whole training session.

as for anything it really depends on the individual and the injury. it is also pretty pricey.
if your really reliant on tape for training maybe speak to your physio, if you just use to for comfortable, then you could possible try it out.

My PT told me to use KT on a knee injury to guide my knee and remind me not to position it a certain way.

I just read this article on CNN about it and thought it was really informative too.

I've used it on my knee that has sporadically given me grief for 11 years. Works well there for a few days. Makes me "feel better" and draws my attention to my knee to keep me from stepping weird unintentionally. I've tried it on my ankle after a moderate sprain, it refuses to stay stuck there for me. I have not seen much of it in cheer but I keep both it and regular sports tape in my med bag (med bag motto: if you have it, you never need it).

I put some on my lower back for the first time today and it does keep me from twisting the wrong way or tweaking it in a way that makes it uncomfortable.

I love it already, and I just bought a package of pink :)

Back