High School Plan For A 100% Normal Cheer Year In 21/22?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 18, 2015
So- everything was going great 3/4 weeks ago… things were looking optimistic- it’s soooo refreshing to see various camps in full swing and smiling cheer faces, then - BAM , rising cases EVERYWHERE! (I do not want this thread to get political so if we can PLEASE NOT GO there) but we are from CA and Im reallllllly starting to get worried we are headed for more restrictions-
Im fully Vaccinated, my teams are as well (zero judgment on anyone who isn’t) but slightly concerned about planning even with all precautions in place. What is everyone’s plans? Are you planning for full normalcy? Are you nervous at all? Playing it by ear?

So- everything was going great 3/4 weeks ago… things were looking optimistic- it’s soooo refreshing to see various camps in full swing and smiling cheer faces, then - BAM , rising cases EVERYWHERE! (I do not want this thread to get political so if we can PLEASE NOT GO there) but we are from CA and Im reallllllly starting to get worried we are headed for more restrictions-
Im fully Vaccinated, my teams are as well (zero judgment on anyone who isn’t) but slightly concerned about planning even with all precautions in place. What is everyone’s plans? Are you planning for full normalcy? Are you nervous at all? Playing it by ear?

Def feeling nervous in Nor Cal. We were initially scheduled to go to a UCA camp and went with a home camp instead... The UCA one got shut down on the first day for staff testing positive. I can't even imagine the logistical nightmare of dealing with that and how upset my kids and parents would have been.

We are planning for normal, but numbers are def on the rise everywhere around here. We are still testing every week, but I was never nervous to get my results before. Now every week I'm like ekkkkk please be negative even though I feel totally fine. We still have to mask on all school campuses, so I'm really hoping they'll just move forward and keep the mask mandate.

Also, I am in complete disbelief at the videos of camps going on with not a mask to be seen. It's stressing me out to see 500 teenagers in a crowd inside, screaming and singing and not one person wearing a mask.

Playing it by ear here. COVID Does Not Existin our state. Even if cases rise, our governor has gone on record saying that we will have no restrictions or shut down again- however, we have a VERY conservative (not speaking politically, haha) state association that will create their own rules at a moment's notice.

We are not allowed to require masks anymore. I'm curious and slightly scared to find out what happens when school is back. Last year was a logistical nightmare for quarantines and tracking exposure- and that was with a hybrid school model with alternating days of attending school WITH masks... Not to mention, last year the whole volleyball team was quarantined 2 weeks before state due to an athlete testing positive with the whole team practicing without masks.

So... Theoretically... If one of my athletes tests positive the whole team will have to quarantine for 9+ days. So that's fun I guess.

I have found that inconsistent policies have by far been the most frustrating part of last year. I hope that everything is smooth sailing this year going into year 2. I am fully vaccinated and fully support masks, but it was so, so hard to explain to high schoolers why every other sport can practice full out, play games with no masks, and have full contact with OTHER teams. Last year we were ground-bound, had to wear masks outside at football games (obviously inside, too), and had to always remain 6 ft apart- no contact, ever.

We have a surplus of vaccines in my state. I sincerely hope that my athletes choose to get vaccinated.

Def feeling nervous in Nor Cal. We were initially scheduled to go to a UCA camp and went with a home camp instead... The UCA one got shut down on the first day for staff testing positive. I can't even imagine the logistical nightmare of dealing with that and how upset my kids and parents would have been.

We are planning for normal, but numbers are def on the rise everywhere around here. We are still testing every week, but I was never nervous to get my results before. Now every week I'm like ekkkkk please be negative even though I feel totally fine. We still have to mask on all school campuses, so I'm really hoping they'll just move forward and keep the mask mandate.

Im hoping cases go down. I’m also hoping it’s just a 4th of July/Summer travel bump … perhaps things will settle when people are home and back to school- not so displaced from summer activity. I know that everyone I know has taken a vacation or two lately. While back to school might make people nervous- I for one feel like it will keep kids in more controlled environments. Same people, pretty much every day… with constant reminders to wash hands etc.

From an event standpoint I think things will be normal eg. travel, in person, comps, with spectators. But we still will have cases and quarantines disrupting the whole season and perhaps indoor masking in certain states (spectators, not athletes).

Playing it by ear here. COVID Does Not Existin our state. Even if cases rise, our governor has gone on record saying that we will have no restrictions or shut down again- however, we have a VERY conservative (not speaking politically, haha) state association that will create their own rules at a moment's notice.

We are not allowed to require masks anymore. I'm curious and slightly scared to find out what happens when school is back. Last year was a logistical nightmare for quarantines and tracking exposure- and that was with a hybrid school model with alternating days of attending school WITH masks... Not to mention, last year the whole volleyball team was quarantined 2 weeks before state due to an athlete testing positive with the whole team practicing without masks.

So... Theoretically... If one of my athletes tests positive the whole team will have to quarantine for 9+ days. So that's fun I guess.

I have found that inconsistent policies have by far been the most frustrating part of last year. I hope that everything is smooth sailing this year going into year 2. I am fully vaccinated and fully support masks, but it was so, so hard to explain to high schoolers why every other sport can practice full out, play games with no masks, and have full contact with OTHER teams. Last year we were ground-bound, had to wear masks outside at football games (obviously inside, too), and had to always remain 6 ft apart- no contact, ever.

We have a surplus of vaccines in my state. I sincerely hope that my athletes choose to get vaccinated.
Sounds like we are in the same state. Ours schools cannot require masks, we had option of virtual, in person, or virtual + UIL (in person). This year it’s mainly all in person or all virtual (but w/ limited options). So majority will be in person.

My daughter goes to a 6A school. No masks or distancing. And she knows 2 people other than herself that are vaccinated. Plenty of availability for vaccinations, they choose not to. When some other students found out she was vaccinated they called her “freak”, “weirdo”, “mutant” even though we had several football games cancelled because of quarantines & outbreaks and volleyball was only able to play 2 games. They were also quarantined at the beginning of season & started late, they continually had problems.

School started this week & judge in our county announced at press conference “Your child will wait for another child to die” that there are no pediatric ICU beds left for any emergency.

School started this week & judge in our county announced at press conference “Your child will wait for another child to die” that there are no pediatric ICU beds left for any emergency.

Interesting. Currently in ATL, all of the hospitals surrounding Children's hospitals are listed "Severe/Overcrowded/Busy," but CHOA (children's hospitals of ATL) are all stating "Normal." GA Coordinating Center Atlanta schools began last week, so that may change soon. I know many of the ATL school districts have installed ionizers in the schools (used in hospitals, but some people are stating they're too dangerous for schools), but it will be interesting to see if they help.

Back