All-Star Poor Sportsmanship At Cheer Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We had an incident a couple weeks ago at a comp where our senior coed 4 team was getting ready to go on and another gym was in the vip area when we asked them to move we were met with " I need to see this team" and while we all got a chuckle out of the fact that they were so interested in our gym it was still rude they would not move for our parents of the kids on this team.

Me and another mom pushed our way up front and then gave our seats to level 4 mommas.
We had this happen one year in the priority section at a comp. We had only one team at this comp (6 total parents!) and a certain large programs parents who were seated down front said "we've been here all day to watch these teams!" Security guy told us to go ahead and sit in front of them or sit on them! This one mom went nutty at that! Seriously 6 parents!!!!

We had this happen one year in the priority section at a comp. We had only one team at this comp (6 total parents!) and a certain large programs parents who were seated down front said "we've been here all day to watch these teams!" Security guy told us to go ahead and sit in front of them or sit on them! This one mom went nutty at that! Seriously 6 parents!!!!

That's when you'd be holding my earrings while I took care of this... Stuff like that just gets on my last nerve. lol

I tried to hold it in, only squealing (you couldn't hear it over the roar of everyone else though) but by day 3 I was full out sobbing during everyone in our division so that is a different story...

Being overcome by excitement/emotion/whatever you were feeling at the moment is okay and has nothing to do with bad sportsmanship in my opinion. It comes with competition : what hurts one team helps the others. And it's not like you were outright mean and disrespectful to your competitors.

We had an incident a couple weeks ago at a comp where our senior coed 4 team was getting ready to go on and another gym was in the vip area when we asked them to move we were met with " I need to see this team" and while we all got a chuckle out of the fact that they were so interested in our gym it was still rude they would not move for our parents of the kids on this team.

Me and another mom pushed our way up front and then gave our seats to level 4 mommas.

Okay you are better than me because that is when I tell them they have 5 seconds to vacate or I get security - yeah that is the moment when I go all Wicked witch of the east and west. I also make our own cheerleaders (mine included) move so moms (especially brand new moms who have no idea what is going on) get to see their kids. CPs get the floor or the back moms and dads of CPs on the floor get the front seats.

There's one gym I've encountered on more than one occasion that does this quite frequently, and rather than listening to security, I've heard them yell at them, tell them to get real jobs, had parents shove security out of the way...

Have we gotten to the point that we have taken the cheer out of cheerleading as if we are apologetic if our teams win because we don't want to hurt anyone else's feelings because we are happy? Being excited that you won an event - especially when you are not the fan favorite, wasn't given any chance by the "experts" or went thru a lot of untold hardship, injuries, etc to even be there let alone compete does not bother me. I get that every gym has their own unique story and while it may not seem like much to you, the adversity they had to overcome for that win to them was everything. As long as it is not taunting other teams or rivals, ok. Teach a better response but don't get bent out of shape. Now if it is a continuous every event type of thing, it speaks something different to me.

What bothers me more is the seat saving, priority seating issues, beefing, name calling, fighting, trash talking when you think no one from the other team/gym is around, crowding the warmup mats in stare down type silliness, etc. I know a lot of our kids lost respect for a couple of bigger name programs at an event last year after hearing a few (not all) of those kids talk so much trash about our program. We didn't even know them like that. It was truly a case of your hero has fallen with one of those teams, as many of our kids looked up to that team as inspiration. Not any more.

Back