OT Pressure To Join A Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 30, 2013
All of the allstar cheerleaders at my (very small) school go to the same gym. One of my close friends goes there and she keeps pressuring me to come there and she almost always asks me to join every time we talk about cheerleading. I'm very shy, and I feel very uncomfortable going to a gym full of very popular, critical, and sometimes very mean girls who go to my school. I believe that the gym should be a second home where you can feel comfortable and be encouraged to do great, no matter what your skills are, and that gym just gives me anxiety! I wish my friends who go there would stop pressuring me, because it's not where I would like to cheer. How do I nicely tell her that it's not the place for me?

Your gym should definitely be a place where you want to be, not somewhere you avoid! Try something along the lines of "wow that sounds fun but I'm not sure if I'm ready to join a gym right now" she seems persistent so it might take a couple of times. And if she's a good friend of yours, try telling her your uncomfortable with the girls. I hope it gets better for you!

In the famous words of Nancy Reagan, "Just Say No" and if this person wants to continue the conversation - 'STOP' and tell the person you do not want to talk about it and you are not going to change your mind on the subject, PERIOD!

Are you planning on cheering allstar this season at a different gym, or just school?
If it is just school, I would tell her "Allstar is not an option for my family right now". Leave it at that. You could always also say "My family wants me to focus on school this year".
There needs to be some form of "no, its not happening this year" to tell your friend, or she is going to keep asking you thinking there is hope and a chance to persuade you still.

no matter what happens, you should never continue doing something you dont like or dont feel comfortable with. Give a reasonable explanation that would make sense in your situation. If they keep bothering you just ignore them and find other friends and another gym. do what makes you happy not other people :)

also, clearly they are not your "friends" if they keep pressuring you like this and giving you anxiety. find other people to hang out with and ask them for help and advice. maybe some other girls at your gym would help you.

Just say no and if she keeps talking about it, then nicely walk away.

1. All star is a very expensive and time consuming sport. If you're aren't ready for all of your free time to be taken away for cheer, you won't enjoy it as much. Your "friend" also needs to understand that not everyone can afford all star cheer. No matter how financial obligations are altered. Not saying you can't afford it because you never mentioned, but I'm just saying your friend as well as you, should be considerate about what parents have to pay.

2. She also needs to understand that not everyone feels comfortable in sports bras for practice and let alone the uniforms. Again, I know you didn't mention it, but I'm just throwing out possible reasons why one may not want or feel comfortable doing all star cheer.

There are many more reasons as to why some girls don't want to cheer all star. Whatever your reason is, just tell her and leave it at that. If it keeps going after that, talk to a trusted adult such as your parents and see if you can have a sit down talk with your friend and their parents along w/yours to talk about the issue and tell them how it's making you feel.

That may sound extreme for this small issue, but if she's really your friend she would understand.

Sometimes girls like her, don't have a clear understanding of what "no" means. So sometimes you have to bring in parents to get someone to stop pressuring you into things.

She probably doesn't realize that you don't like the other girls that go there and is just thinking about the sport itself and not the social side. She probably just thinks you will enjoy all star and loves her gym so assumes you will too.

I guess this person isn't a good enough friend that you can tell her the real reason and trust her to not blab?

Back