Progressions To A Pull-up

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
How exactly does an athlete progress to the point at which they are able to execute a pull-up? I looked this up online but I would like to hear about it from the perspectives of cheer/gymnastics coaches.

Like a pull up on a bar? Or is that some exotic cheer skill I don't know about :p ? If you have access to a lat pull down machine, that's the easiest way, or an assisted pull up machine, but they are more rare. Wide grip works more of your biceps, while narrow grip works more lats. Curls are the best way to work on biceps, and bent arm barbell pullovers target the lats.

Like a pull up on a bar? Or is that some exotic cheer skill I don't know about :p ? If you have access to a lat pull down machine, that's the easiest way, or an assisted pull up machine, but they are more rare. Wide grip works more of your biceps, while narrow grip works more lats. Curls are the best way to work on biceps, and bent arm barbell pullovers target the lats.
And what if a person doesn't have access to machines?

Now that you mention it, somebody could work that into a pyramid sequence LOL.

The two exercises I listed can be done without machines, but if you don't have weights, you'll have to get creative with what you lift!

I can see it now, a hitch with people legit doing pullups on it. :D

The same way we all figured pull-ups out as a child. It was a natural skill because we played on the monkey bars. In fact conditioning wise as children we're more capable, well at least kids use to be. I never had an handheld toys and video games running my life. I was outside climbing trees, goofing off on monkey bars. My suggestion is go to your local playground with Monkey bars and condition those muscles through play. The muscles will build. Also do push-ups and handstand push-ups against the wall.

The same way we all figured pull-ups out as a child. It was a natural skill because we played on the monkey bars. In fact conditioning wise as children we're more capable, well at least kids use to be. I never had an handheld toys and video games running my life. I was outside climbing trees, goofing off on monkey bars. My suggestion is go to your local playground with Monkey bars and condition those muscles through play. The muscles will build. Also do push-ups and handstand push-ups against the wall.
Thank you! I was wondering how to do this for a team's conditioning, I figure it's the same as what you described.

Back