All-Star Rays Rumors Questions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What can we expect from the Stingray teams this season that is 'different' than the past season(s), particularly the level 5's? :)

We analyze our program every year (and even mid year) and look at and think of ways to improve when we see we are not exceeding our own expectations. We have had hour long meetings with 20 coaches over Level 1's when the have not performed as well as we would have liked.

All that being said, this year our level 5's are the strongest across the board they have ever been. We had a huge increase in tumbling and stunting ability. Any team we made in their current division out tumbles any team in that division last year. That a good enough tease?

All that being said, this year our level 5's are the strongest across the board they have ever been. We had a huge increase in tumbling and stunting ability. Any team we made in their current division out tumbles any team in that division last year. That a good enough tease?
YES! :rays:

I don't know if this has ever been answered before (I'm a newbie when it comes to knowing the "big name" gyms-just was introduced to them this year), but how did you come up with the names for your teams, like Smoke, Amber, Spice, etc.? They always struck me as so unique :)

Reactions: ian
when rays first started (2003 i believe?), how did the company take off so fast; majority of small gyms struggle the first years and ya'll seem to just take off like you had been doing it for years. how did the advertisement of the gym go? where did you get most of the athletes? was it a surprise how well ya'll ended up doing in the beginning?

I wasn't around from the start to when we hit our prime (I would say we got in our stride about 06-07? Right when I showed up!). I will ask and get the full answer for this. But I would say Stingrays was the culmination of a few smaller programs with strong coaches and ideals that just came together at the right time.

Most of our non level 5 athletes we get the way any normal gym gets them. Camps, working with high schools, all that stuff. (unless you are level 5 most people dont like to drive that far). We do get some from other programs who want to try a change, but we also lose some who don't like how we do things (maybe they were put on a team that is lower than they were expecting). Level 5 wise we teach a lot ourselves, and then some do make the trek to us form other gyms. I would say 70% internal, and 30% from other gyms? And it depends on long you consider a kid to 'be' from another gym. If an athlete came to us in 5th grade from gym A when she had her full by the time she hits 9th grade is she now ours or is she still from another gym?

I don't know if this has ever been answered before (I'm a newbie when it comes to knowing the "big name" gyms-just was introduced to them this year), but how did you come up with the names for your teams, like Smoke, Amber, Spice, etc.? They always struck me as so unique :)

It originally started with colors so people could know the difference in which team was which because of all the ages and levels, then some colors just started to represent a team. The ideas come from coaches and we discuss and the coaches pick. I have been pushing for a Scarlett for 3 years (catch the fever!) and was happy when last year we had a Cinnamon (that was peppermints original name and we were gonna call the the cinna-minis. I so dug that).

I have been pushing for a Scarlett for 3 years (catch the fever!) and was happy when last year we had a Cinnamon (that was peppermints original name and we were gonna call the the cinna-minis. I so dug that).
that's awesome. love it!

I wasn't around from the start to when we hit our prime (I would say we got in our stride about 06-07? Right when I showed up!). I will ask and get the full answer for this. But I would say Stingrays was the culmination of a few smaller programs with strong coaches and ideals that just came together at the right time.

Most of our non level 5 athletes we get the way any normal gym gets them. Camps, working with high schools, all that stuff. (unless you are level 5 most people dont like to drive that far). We do get some from other programs who want to try a change, but we also lose some who don't like how we do things (maybe they were put on a team that is lower than they were expecting). Level 5 wise we teach a lot ourselves, and then some do make the trek to us form other gyms. I would say 70% internal, and 30% from other gyms? And it depends on long you consider a kid to 'be' from another gym. If an athlete came to us in 5th grade from gym A when she had her full by the time she hits 9th grade is she now ours or is she still from another gym?

well i was actually a ray for a year.. hah but it was quite a drive (2 hours- and i was level 3!); but just wasnt sure how the gym took off so fast, thanks again, let me know when you figure it out.

Im interested. What do you mean?

Well say she joined Rays from another gym with say a round off BHS in running tumbling when she was in 5th grade and you had her doing fulls by 9th then I'd say she's yours. But if she joined with a shakey layout then I'd say her tumbling would be from another gym because they tought her the basics and advanced her past that. If that makes sense?

Random question, but I've always wondered why a stingray? What made them choose the stingray to name the gym after?

Would rays place an athlete on a level 5 team if their tumbling was at level 3/4 but they could land jumps to tuck, and base and/or fly level 5?

Well say she joined Rays from another gym with say a round off BHS in running tumbling when she was in 5th grade and you had her doing fulls by 9th then I'd say she's yours. But if she joined with a shakey layout then I'd say her tumbling would be from another gym because they tought her the basics and advanced her past that. If that makes sense?

Interesting way to look at it. What about all the other parts of cheer? What if she had a a double full and triple toe back, but was a bad jumper, couldnt base, bad motioner, couldnt throw a basket well? Is it just running tumbling that defines who's kid is who's? (I am not attacking, I am generally asking).

Random question, but I've always wondered why a stingray? What made them choose the stingray to name the gym after?

From what I was told no one else is a Stingray, that is why. Ill ask and double check.

Back