Reader Discretion Advised

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It is comprised of more then that, much more then that. As far as I am concerned cheerleading is still a far way from that we do not have one governing body of rules and regulations. Judging Sheets and scoring change with every company and competition. Now as for your responses I had stated that I didnt feel like you recieved appropriate responses and was just trying to maybe shed some light that it could have been those coaches athletes making rude comments or feeling like it was an unfair thread. Im not sure. I agree that it was a valid question and that you were not making light of criticizing athletes. But as another comment cheer is sometimes very personal to coaches for example- I make a dance section that I think is awesome work my butt of teaching it and get the score sheet or hear another coach say they didnt like it ouch! I still get that personal attack feeling (not justified I know) But I think this is unique with "sports" like dance and any other personalizied choreography.

My intended audience for this was those who don't seem to get why cheerleading isn't always considered to be an equal of other sports. But if you're stating that you can already see why it's not then I guess it is irrelevant.

my biggest thing is these cheerleaders are so young, and not really having a place to work for other than worlds could take the fun out of it when people rip them apart. gymnasts strive toward being elite and the olympics, other sports are striving for playing at college for a full or partial scholarship, and the pros. all cheerleaders have is worlds and a scholarship to a limited number of schools.

do i think we should have more to work for? by all means yes. but until that changes, i think under age kids shouldn't have that scrutiny just for doing something they think is fun.

I would like to point out that I wasn't making the argument that other sports pick on their athletes so it's okay for us to... I was making the point that other sports pick on their athletes so we need to realize it's going to happen to cheerleaders too.

I always hate defending something by claiming others do it or others have it worse.

"Other sports do it", "But they do it like this in Europe", "They're gonna do it anyway"

That just sets the bar too low.

Frank discussions are good and should continue. But higher goals and standards should always be included.

I always hate defending something by claiming others do it or others have it worse.

"Other sports do it", "But they do it like this in Europe", "They're gonna do it anyway"

That just sets the bar too low.

Frank discussions are good and should continue. But higher goals and standards should always be included.

You're right and .........once again......... I'd like to point out I'm not defending the that I think cheerleaders should be insulted and that it's okay for us to rip apart our athletes. The fact of the matter is that it even if we think it's wrong and mean, well.. yes, "they're gonna do it anyway". BUT here's a huge difference in accepting something as being "right" and simply accepting the fact that it's out of our control and going to happen. I think the high standard comes in by accepting it and still remaining poised and classy even while the criticism happens. See the negativity as an opportunity to take the higher road and keep your head held high rather than complaining that it happens

my biggest thing is these cheerleaders are so young, and not really having a place to work for other than worlds could take the fun out of it when people rip them apart. gymnasts strive toward being elite and the olympics, other sports are striving for playing at college for a full or partial scholarship, and the pros. all cheerleaders have is worlds and a scholarship to a limited number of schools.

do i think we should have more to work for? by all means yes. but until that changes, i think under age kids shouldn't have that scrutiny just for doing something they think is fun.

Not sure I understand what you're getting at... I hardly believe that all cheerleaders have to work towards is worlds. There are plenty of competitions that are just as exciting for those athletes. I cheered for 7 years at multiple gyms and the biggest competition I went to was NCA in Dallas where we won first place. Wasn't Worlds (never even got to compete at Worlds) but it was definitely something to work towards. I'm in college and I don't cheer anymore so if all cheerleaders have is worlds and a scholarship to a limited number of schools my 7 years of cheerleading would be seen as a waste...and I definitely don't count them as that.

And you are right, kids SHOULDN'T have that scrutiny...we could list topics all day that "should" or "shouldn't" be some way or the other. But as the sport evolves and more attention is put on it (that's what the industry wants, am I wrong?), it's what happens.

Not sure I understand what you're getting at... I hardly believe that all cheerleaders have to work towards is worlds. There are plenty of competitions that are just as exciting for those athletes. I cheered for 7 years at multiple gyms and the biggest competition I went to was NCA in Dallas where we won first place. Wasn't Worlds (never even got to compete at Worlds) but it was definitely something to work towards. I'm in college and I don't cheer anymore so if all cheerleaders have is worlds and a scholarship to a limited number of schools my 7 years of cheerleading would be seen as a waste...and I definitely don't count them as that.

I'm not saying those other competitions are a waste, and they're huge competitions that tons of athletes work hard to perform and perform well at. Worlds is just kind of the "biggest" thing to work for for level 5 and 6 cheerleaders. we don't have the option to work for full rides to school or to be put into a professional draft or go to the olympics...yet. and without all of that, is where i'm making my argument from. and be honest, how many other sports hold things with all levels together and not make the "professionals" more of an elite, secluded thing? Cheerleading is still a very generalized thing open to all ages and levels, and while other sports are too, they do more of a seperation between just the beginner, lower levels and elite / professionals.

I'm not doing a very good job elaborating on the last part...and i'm not really sure how else to word that...it makes sense in my head, and i'm just hoping someone semi grasps my concept and can help me to fully develop that part.

After careful consideration, I can’t help but point out the irony Ive found in cheerleading. The other week I registered and after my first post I got negative feedback, from comments such as “seriously?” “umm is this appropriate?” and other remarks where I could see multiple fingers snapping at me through my computer screen.

edited for brevity . . .

You may disagree with me, but I hope if you think objectively about the points I made you’ll see the perspective I offer. To those who are about to jump down my throat for this post, or furthermore to the admin who may remove this… thank you for further adding to the irony.

I am pretty certain that the question you posed wasn't taken as negatively as the way you asked it. When the responses began and you answered back the thread turned into nothing but negativity and not about the original subject. That sounds like a good reason to remove a thread to me.

If you would have posted your original question and maintained your responses with the same maturity level as your original post in this thread, I would guess it could have been a productive discussion.

I am pretty certain that the question you posed wasn't taken as negatively as the way you asked it. When the responses began and you answered back the thread turned into nothing but negativity and not about the original subject. That sounds like a good reason to remove a thread to me.

If you would have posted your original question and maintained your responses with the same maturity level as your original post in this thread, I would guess it could have been a productive discussion.

My original post actually contains a bit of satire as well so I feel I asked the question as straightforward and bluntly as I stated my opinion on this thread. To each his own..

Straightforward yes. Blunt may have been the issue.

The post on this thread is very well thought out and worded. Just passing on an observation, whenever I read a lot of negative replies it has always had to do with a choice of wording or tone in the orginal post.

Just trying to help, I have no issues either way. Take it for what it's worth.

apparently I missed an interesting thread. I hate when that happens :(

Straightforward yes. Blunt may have been the issue.

The post on this thread is very well thought out and worded. Just passing on an observation, whenever I read a lot of negative replies it has always had to do with a choice of wording or tone in the orginal post.

Just trying to help, I have no issues either way. Take it for what it's worth.

You are right and I did quickly learn perception is everything, especially on a message board where text is the only thing to draw from. That is why I took time to carefully word this post and I appreciate you noticing that!

Back