Recruiting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@Flcheer13, I think the Rec Cheer team were Pop Warner, but now they are AYC...I am totally unfamiliar with Rec Cheer, other than the difference in cost and the team travel together with the coaches... However, my community seems to really support this activity and the coaches all stressed how much fun the young people have and a lot of my daughter's friends are on the team...The coach told me they missed making finals(Florida) due to lack of either tumbling, dancing or stunting, but not quite sure...But they seemed to think my daughter can help them in some way...
PS: I am just looking forward to the less demand on my time that Rec Cheer promise, unlike AS Cheer.
Well, that narrows it down LOL! Please tell me that the coach didn't say that and that those are your words.

@Flcheer13, I think the Rec Cheer team were Pop Warner, but now they are AYC...I am totally unfamiliar with Rec Cheer, other than the difference in cost and the team travel together with the coaches... However, my community seems to really support this activity and the coaches all stressed how much fun the young people have and a lot of my daughter's friends are on the team...The coach told me they missed making finals(Florida) due to lack of either tumbling, dancing or stunting, but not quite sure...But they seemed to think my daughter can help them in some way...
PS: I am just looking forward to the less demand on my time that Rec Cheer promise, unlike AS Cheer.
There are a lot of Rec teams that travel quite a bit. Hotels, gas, comp fees, that will not change (although you most likely will not be flying to Dallas). If your cp's future Rec team is gunning for a bid to Florida, it you will still need to put in the time and money. Plus you might find it money even less best spent if the team is all about having fun especially after coming from the competitive environment you have grown accustomed to. That being said, I wish your cp the best of luck.

Thank you for all the suggestions! Quite a few of them are going to help me, gotta love Fierceboard! :)

I have to address the recruiting thing, we do not recruit allstar, in fact the few years we had girls try to do both it was a nightmare. Mamabear hit the nail on the head as far as time commitment goes. We do have a longer off season, but start practice beginning of Aug 4 nights a week, then when school starts it's at minimum two nights plus games on weekends with a separate optional night of tumbling (we bring in a tumbling instructor for this). Competition is a minimum of 5 comps including at least one nationals. We go to events like Jamz, Reach the Beach or Spirit events just like Allstars. The financial obligation is less topping out at about $465-500 (this includes field and comp registration, comp uniform shoes etc) however of course hotel for nationals etc is more. You are not allowed to compete if you miss more than 2 football games. Competition squad is optional and not all girls who do field do comp. I think in the last 3 years we've lost maybe 5 girls to allstars and we occasionally rent mat time at a local gym so they are definitely exposed to it.

Well, that narrows it down LOL! Please tell me that the coach didn't say that and that those are your words.
Yes, these are the coaches word and these are my words, I really think that my daughter, if she joins the Rec team will be the only cheerleader on her squad with the competitive experience, so should help the other cheerleaders...Plus, all her best girlfriends are on the team and she loves the coach/teacher...@CheerBank, I was told that the Rec Cheer is not expensive and they have a shorter season, what July (I think) to Dec. So my daughter miss less days of school and participate in other school sports too...
PS: Everything sounds reeeaal good to me, YASSS! Btw, thank you for the well wishes for my daughter and she definitely be back AS Cheer, someday...

Yes, these are the coaches word and these are my words, I really think that my daughter, if she joins the Rec team will be the only cheerleader on her squad with the competitive experience, so should help the other cheerleaders...Plus, all her best girlfriends are on the team and she loves the coach/teacher...@CheerBank, I was told that the Rec Cheer is not expensive and they have a shorter season, what July (I think) to Dec. So my daughter miss less days of school and participate in other school sports too...
PS: Everything sounds reeeaal good to me, YASSS! Btw, thank you for the well wishes for my daughter and she definitely be back AS Cheer, someday...
If the coach doesn't know if it was tumbling, stunting, or dancing that kept them from progressing I don't see how one person is going to make a difference. At least their jumps are good, it seems :)
Hope CP enjoys the season.

Rec is less money then most big all star gyms but our parents buy about 1000$ a year. Maybe more :/

We have two uniforms (game day and comp). We have three comps durning the Pop warner season. "City" comp is about 30-45 min drive we do stay in a hotel. It's a fun time. The older team use this comp as a dress rehearsal but for the nane compete teams(tinys and mity) it's a big deal. Regionals is in Orlando for us thanksgiving weekend. At the same place the AYC nationals is. It's a three day comp so a lot of people stay many days. They hotel is have to stay at is 100$ a night. Plus food and tickets for the whole it adds up. Nationals is at Disney. The hotel on site (you have to stay there) is 350$ a night ! It's a 5 day comp. we normally have 4 teams compeleing.

We start August 1 and the Nationals is in December. We practice 4 nights a week til school starts and 3 night after that. Plus Saturday games then fundraisers on both Saturday and Sunday's.in October we do one to two nights at a all star gym. That cost 5-10$ a practice.

It's a really long and expensive 4 months. Lol

And that trip to Disney is planned in a week just so you know. It is the second week in December and AYC does not compete at Disney.[emoji4]

And that trip to Disney is planned in a week just so you know. It is the second week in December and AYC does not compete at Disney.[emoji4]

Yes thankfully we have in Florida. But the money is due the next day! The girls miss two days of school. I don't know how they do it up north in a short time. I'm so stress During that week.

The coach must be building in all areas, but my thinking mostly in stunting and tumbling, my daughter is not the only one in the community that been approached, but she is the most accomplished in AS Cheer and most of the other new girls, her girlfriends are coming from competitive gymnastics backgrounds ...However, she may be an asset in the area of competitive cheerleading... Tbh, I am glad to hear more about Rec Cheer side because I know very little about it and particular the travel and additional expenses, but listening to my daughter and her friends it sounds a lot cost efficient and does not required me to take too much time away from job and home...

Back to the question at hand, how to recruit...I think in my community, word of mouth from peers is the main source... However, like someone already mentioned the school and town websites and many of the town businesses have community flyers and newsletters are heavily used to announced what's happening in the community...I live in a small tight knitted community and many of the youth activities are widely advertised...All the young people seems to know each other and the town have pep rallies and parades to celebrate our young people...

Our community has articles published in the kids sport section of the local papers,flyers and morning announcements at the local schools. They also have a strong social media component and constantly post about registration. We will see how well it works tomorrow is the first night of registration.

Back