OT Regional Food

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I never knew it was in those machines till last summer. My grandma and I stopped at a Burger King on the way to the beach and I freaked out when I saw it.
Awh :( as @bamacheerguy said it's at Sam's

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board
I know I just saw! Lol I've never been so excited to be a Sam's Club member.

Vanilla coke - if you can't find it buy coke and use that vanilla syrup you buy for coffee (only a TINY bit). If you use too much it ruins the carbonation but use a splash and it's the same thing (that's all those soda machines are is regular soda with flavored syrups put in).

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I've tried to put syrup in coke. Only one that was close in taste (to me) and not funky was Starbucks Vanilla Syrup. I repeatedly tried more/less syrup with various types though -.-

Self-proclaimed MD crab snob here. My NC friends were all weirded out that we cook our crabs whole. Apparently here they clean them before they cook them, which conversely I thought that was weird. If you are lucky they steam them with Old Bay and beer. If you aren't so lucky, they will boil them.

And mmmmmm.... eastern Carolina barbeque. With the vinegar sauce.... yummmm!

I'm spamming this thread... Oh well

My mom used to live in TN. They put mustard in their slaw? That thought kind of grossed me out. She always went to KFC and brought her own personal slaw to barbecues

I've tried to put syrup in coke. Only one that was close in taste (to me) and not funky was Starbucks Vanilla Syrup. I repeatedly tried more/less syrup with various types though -.-

Yeah it's not perfect. Just good for a fix if you're dying for one and can't find it.

When I was growing up we used to go to vermont in the summers and there was an old fashioned soda fountain there. I used to live and die for their chocolate cokes. I still try to make them occasionally for myself - never as good, but it's still a good treat to remind me of my younger days. :)

@MomOf2ThatsMe I miss Carolina bbq soooooo much! They try up here but I haven't quite found one that's perfect yet. (I assume when I find it that it will come from some transplanted north carolinians...)

Yeah it's not perfect. Just good for a fix if you're dying for one and can't find it.

When I was growing up we used to go to vermont in the summers and there was an old fashioned soda fountain there. I used to live and die for their chocolate cokes. I still try to make them occasionally for myself - never as good, but it's still a good treat to remind me of my younger days. :)

@MomOf2ThatsMe I miss Carolina bbq soooooo much! They try up here but I haven't quite found one that's perfect yet. (I assume when I find it that it will come from some transplanted north carolinians...)

Have you been to oberweis since you've lived in Chicago? They have chocolate cokes. I never tried them but I used to work at an Oberweis and there were a few people who came in for them all the time.

1. I think kids in Charlotte would starve to death without Chick-fil-a, Bojangles, and Panera.
2. When y'all say "gravy" do you mean the stuff you put on mash potatoes or some other sauce? Different areas mean different things. Here's it's the brown/beige stuff; well at least for us southerners.
3. People who say "Coke" have lived here their whole life. "Soda" or "pop" are the yankees that started coming in about 10 years ago. ;)

Gravy is the stuff for mashed potatoes if you ask me. Now, ask my old Italian grandma and she will say gravy is red sauce (marinara) for pasta. It's totally an Italian thing I think.

We have one chick fil a here. ONE. And it's in the middle of tourist central so I will not go. So I'm slowly learning to live without it, but it's hard. The struggle is real here in Chicago...real. :(

There is a chick fil a here in Crystal Lake. I live about a mile from there and have never been there yet. @Just-a-Mom, meet me there one day this summer.

There is a chick fil a here in Crystal Lake. I live about a mile from there and have never been there yet. @Just-a-Mom, meet me there one day this summer.

Deal! It'd probably be faster to drive to that one than to try to wait in the line at the Mag Mile one! :p

Just tell me when and I'll head on out.

We have had two exchange daughters from Germany, one from Munich and one from Hannover, both loves Vanilla Coke! It must be a big thing there!

This post is verified by Chad Mulkey!

Really?? I only ever remember seeing regular coke there! My German neighbors loved root beer though.

Are ketchup chips really just a Canadian thing?!

Apparently yes, when my family and I lived in Cali for a little bit my mom and I found in rather exciting to google some of the things that our Canadian or are not available in the US ketchup chips were one, along with kinder surprises and smarties (the smarties they did have were those rocket powder candies everybody gets on Halloween) on occasion if you go into specialty candy stores or that world market place you could find smarties and other chocolate but it never really tasted the same.

Kansas City is all about the BBQ. Oklahoma Joe's ribs are to die for. It's in a gas station in KCK, but definitely worth the wait in line. Arthur Bryant's, Jack Stack, Gates, and if you're north of the river Wabash are all excellent. KC is also known for steak- Plaza III is the best in town. Not a casual family restaurant, but if you want a nice meal it's perfect. Ingredient is a salad/wrap/sandwich place that I'm obsessed with and I think it's only available in KC and Como. 54th Street Bar and Grill is a KC chain mostly in suburban areas on the Missouri side. It's similar to a Chilis/Applebee's but so much better. Get the gringo dip and you won't regret it. If you're a die hard chocolate fan go to Panache or Christopher Elbow. 21+ take the tour of Boulevard Brewery. Tickets go fast so be prepared. Most of these places are downtown, but if you're staying in a different area of KC feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can come up with!

If you're ever in Como to visit Mizzou Shakespeare's is a must like mentioned earlier. They've got 3 locations now, but the one on 9th street is the best for visitors to experience because its got the best environment. Booches burgers and billiards is great but make sure to have cash since they don't take cards. Addison's nachos bianco are everything and more. Flat Branch Brewery is also one of my favorites. Since most people who come to Mizzou are of or near legal drinking age I'll include my favorite 21+ spots. Tropical Liqueurs (trops to locals) is a must have if the temperature is above 75. There is nothing like Harpos on a game day (or particularly after a big win) although I think Shiloh and Bengals both also have great game day environments, especially on their patios. For late night dining El Rancho or the Broadway Diner are the best options. If anyone is ever in Columbia please let me know if you need anything! I love it here!

And it's not local to me, but definitely worth mentioning- Taco Punk in Louisville on Market St is the best authentic Mexican food I've ever had outside of Mexico. My absolute favorite place to eat ever.

Are ketchup chips really just a Canadian thing?!

We have those ketchup chips here too, I like it though it Always gives me an allergic reaction:)

I miss lays honey bbq chips! I Always buy it when in the USA...they have the same flavor here too from a different brand but it's nothing alike. lays has regular bbq chips here wich is ok, but the honey bbq is just so much better! yumyum...someone pls send me a pack!

Apparently yes, when my family and I lived in Cali for a little bit my mom and I found in rather exciting to google some of the things that our Canadian or are not available in the US ketchup chips were one, along with kinder surprises and smarties (the smarties they did have were those rocket powder candies everybody gets on Halloween) on occasion if you go into specialty candy stores or that world market place you could find smarties and other chocolate but it never really tasted the same.
Smarties! Crunchie Bars! It's so strange that they're both made by companies that have many chocolate products in the US (Nestle and Cadbury) yet you cannot find those here unless you go into a specialty store (we had a deli near us in the Bronx that carried a lot of Irish food products because of the surrounding neighborhood so we were always able to find those there). Everyone here does think of Smarties as those horrid little powder discs but in my family we know of the better ones :D.

Back