High School Requirements For Hs Coaches

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This has become a concern for me. My cp will be 9th grader next year and wants to cheer in HS and the cheer coach for the HS she will be attending, is the HS Art teacher. This season a girl got seriously hurt during practice tumbling (shattered her elbow, she is done for the season). I just checked to see if her or the JV coach were AACCA certified and of course they are not. At HS districts last month they ended in last place due to an illegal pyramid hmmm.
I would discuss with your daughter the safety issue, maybe that will change her mind. I would not want to risk my daughter getting hurt, as you stated! I would also write a letter to the school system informing them of your opinions and what a proper coach needs.

I am a high school cheerleading coach. I'm not a teacher, so this is what that means for me. I have to spend a few hundred dollars to take a class to become what my state considers a certified coach, at then end of that class all the coaches pay to take a few tests, after you pass them, you can coach. Now, in order for me to get hired by my board of education no teacher can want the job. Every year my job comes up for bid, if a teacher doesn't want it, then I get my job back. But, if a teacher decides "Hey, I think I'd like to be a cheer coach" boom it's their job over me. Teachers do not have to go through the "how to coach" class or the "this is our states rules" class. I was not only a middle school, high school, all star (level 4), college cheerleader and on an open squad till I had babies. I also taught tumbling in college, hold a few certifications more than required and after my kids, I live and breath cheer. From what I am told, before I started the seniors were basically the coaches, they were using techniques that were way out of date and the squad would pick who's best at doing what. It's been a hard transition but we are coming along just fine. The bad part is, next year any teacher can take the job and it's their's till they no longer want it.

I am a high school cheerleading coach. I'm not a teacher, so this is what that means for me. I have to spend a few hundred dollars to take a class to become what my state considers a certified coach, at then end of that class all the coaches pay to take a few tests, after you pass them, you can coach. Now, in order for me to get hired by my board of education no teacher can want the job. Every year my job comes up for bid, if a teacher doesn't want it, then I get my job back. But, if a teacher decides "Hey, I think I'd like to be a cheer coach" boom it's their job over me. Teachers do not have to go through the "how to coach" class or the "this is our states rules" class. I was not only a middle school, high school, all star (level 4), college cheerleader and on an open squad till I had babies. I also taught tumbling in college, hold a few certifications more than required and after my kids, I live and breath cheer. From what I am told, before I started the seniors were basically the coaches, they were using techniques that were way out of date and the squad would pick who's best at doing what. It's been a hard transition but we are coming along just fine. The bad part is, next year any teacher can take the job and it's their's till they no longer want it.
It's much the same where I coach. Again, if a teacher wants the job then I'm out the door despite the fact that I've turned the program around. I am certified thru classes and have to take refresher courses each year. I don't mind the training, in fact, it's essential to my job. With a sport that changes so much, I couldn't imagine relying only on the information I learned as a cheerleader many moons ago.

FYI: If you go to AACCA.org you can check anyone's certification status by entering their last name and state. If this coach isn't certified, I would (politely) email them the link for the online course and point out the benefits of being certified. Then you can at least say that you've done your due diligence. If they don't get certified, it's on them. However, I would give it a practice or two and if you're not happy-I wouldn't let my child continue to be on a team if I were worried for their safety. I would also let the Athletic Director, Principal, HR Director and Superintendent know why my child was leaving the team. I've found that speaking only with the Athletic Director, things often get swept under the rug.

just checked AACCA.org and none of the HS cheer coaches in my are on here. Only 2 out of the 11 HS cheer coaches in my area are Allstar Coaches. :eek:

just checked AACCA.org and none of the HS cheer coaches in my are on here. Only 2 out of the 11 HS cheer coaches in my area are Allstar Coaches. :eek:

I think some coaches are just required to be certified by the state, but even then it's sometimes just for competition cheer. I entirely agree that this should be a required certification, but there are also probably good deal of great coaches that aren't certified by AACCA.

I think some coaches are just required to be certified by the state, but even then it's sometimes just for competition cheer. I entirely agree that this should be a required certification, but there are also probably good deal of great coaches that aren't certified by AACCA.
I think it's important for any cheer coach to be certified, but there are some states that require a lot of certification while others do not. I am pretty sure if you attend a UCA or NCA camp you can get AACCA certified. Although my state did not require me to go thru AACCA certification, I did anyways. Illinois has a different certification course you have to pass in order to coach, even sideline cheer.

My state requires a LOT of certification but none that are cheer specific. You are required to test for CPR/AED certification, care and prevention of athletic injury, concussion awareness, heat acclimatization, sportsmanship, and pass a state coaches exam (general for all sports). Like another poster stated my position is based solely on the fact that no one in the school wanted the job. I have several certifications and experience as I have been coaching allstar and school for several years. I went through an extensive interview process and was hired solely for the purpose of coaching cheer. However if at any time a teacher or other staff member decided they wanted to do a dual role they would give them the job because I am a much more expensive hire. In our county there are a handful of outside coaches most have been working with the school for many years and the AD wouldn't dare give someone else their job. But it is very hard to convince a school to make the initial switch to an outside person

Last edited:
Our principal would gladly get rid of cheer altogether. I am the only person at our school who has taken the AACCA safety certification and I am just that annoying parent who wants them to follow the safety rules. :banghead:

Back