Returning To All Star As An Adult?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 21, 2020
I retired from all star cheer quite a while ago due to health/battling cancer. I always longed to return once I was healthy enough, but by the time I got my health back I had also gotten older and a return never happened. I’ve casually watched from the outside as a fan, though there have been times it has been challenging because I have always been heartbroken that I couldn’t get back to something I loved.

I sat next to someone on a flight recently and noticed her cheer keychain on her bag and started up a conversation. She’s around my age and is on an international open team. The idea that I could potentially cheer again has filled me with a bit of hope. We discussed international open teams, cheerabilities, and parent teams.

Has anyone else returned after several years away? I know I would need to spend time working on regaining skills before attempting to join a team; anyone else go through this?

I guess I’m just wondering what steps I would need to take to recondition myself, how to find a gym where I can do this, and if it’s actually possible to return at my age (30 yrs)/after so long out. Maybe it’s just a dream I should give up on?

I recently relocated to the Charlotte, North Carolina area; if returning to cheer in any capacity is possible, this is the area I would be looking for a gym.

I retired from all star cheer quite a while ago due to health/battling cancer. I always longed to return once I was healthy enough, but by the time I got my health back I had also gotten older and a return never happened. I’ve casually watched from the outside as a fan, though there have been times it has been challenging because I have always been heartbroken that I couldn’t get back to something I loved.

I sat next to someone on a flight recently and noticed her cheer keychain on her bag and started up a conversation. She’s around my age and is on an international open team. The idea that I could potentially cheer again has filled me with a bit of hope. We discussed international open teams, cheerabilities, and parent teams.

Has anyone else returned after several years away? I know I would need to spend time working on regaining skills before attempting to join a team; anyone else go through this?

I guess I’m just wondering what steps I would need to take to recondition myself, how to find a gym where I can do this, and if it’s actually possible to return at my age (30 yrs)/after so long out. Maybe it’s just a dream I should give up on?

I recently relocated to the Charlotte, North Carolina area; if returning to cheer in any capacity is possible, this is the area I would be looking for a gym.
Cheer Athletics Charlotte has an international open non tumbling team called Queencats. Jumps, stunts, pyramid, and dance. No tumbling.

Cheer Athletics Charlotte has an international open non tumbling team called Queencats. Jumps, stunts, pyramid, and dance. No tumbling.
Good to know! I saw that CA Charlotte was close to me when I was searching to see what gyms were around. I might have to check them out and see if they would be a good fit.

Thanks!

So funny I’m in the same boat!! Wishing the best of luck to you!!

Yes you can. I returned at 25 as there were no gyms where I was living before that, after finishing high school. Be prepared to work a bit harder than the younger kids, but look into the Intl/Open level teams, as they have no age cap. I also tumbled well into my 30's on teams, but there is the non-tumbling option for teams as well, as I found tumbling went first out of all the skills, for obvious reasons. So glad to hear that you're healthy enough again to cheer! Congrats and good luck finding a gym near you

Yes you can. I returned at 25 as there were no gyms where I was living before that, after finishing high school. Be prepared to work a bit harder than the younger kids, but look into the Intl/Open level teams, as they have no age cap. I also tumbled well into my 30's on teams, but there is the non-tumbling option for teams as well, as I found tumbling went first out of all the skills, for obvious reasons. So glad to hear that you're healthy enough again to cheer! Congrats and good luck finding a gym near you

Thank you! It’s reassuring to see that others have come out of retirement successfully as adults. I haven’t tried much tumbling recently, but I’m sure I don’t have my standing full anymore, lol!

Of course you can come back, you're not alone with the same problem.

Back