All-Star Ripped Off Dances?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

WHO actually 'owns rights' to choreography. I know you technically 'can't,' but if you're paying for choreography, even if it's not a team you're going against, would you want to have a say in whether or not it could be used? I'm talking less about created elements (like Maddie's ballup 360, although if you notice, how many of us refer to it as 'hers' whether or not it actually is!) and more dances. Even though the choreographer 'creates' it, once someone pays for it, does ownership transfer to them?

I would say the choreographer owns it. I realize it's not exactly the same, but if I buy a Picasso that doesn't make it my 'work' haha. That's just the way I see it.
Once a high school cheerleader was helping coach a middle school team and taught them her choreo. I'm not sure if she had permission from her coach, but I just though it was kind of tacky and rude...:rolleyes:

As a coach, this subject makes me very uncomfortable. It's already been said in different ways, but the bottom line is that gyms/coaches/parents pay outside choreographers for their creativity. Though most routines are combinations of motions from an array of previously done routines, I would be livid if a choreographer came into my gym and started teaching my team a dance (or any major sequence) that was recognizably ALREADY performed by or given to another team.

If it were me, I would literally tell him or her to stop and pack up, pay him for whatever he'd done so far, and proceed to choreograph my own routine.

It's actually funny because by the end of the season, I think most coaches (or maybe just me) tend to change so much that you wonder what you were given in the first place....

Panthers dance is probably the most ripped off this season. I've seen about 4 teams use that music/dance in the last 2 months. It's horrific, and disrespectful, and if these routines were put on the boards, these teams/coaches would be torn apart. Like seriously, be original. Get your own music. Stop stealing routines from others. It's not right.

Panthers dance is probably the most ripped off this season. I've seen about 4 teams use that music/dance in the last 2 months. It's horrific, and disrespectful, and if these routines were put on the boards, these teams/coaches would be torn apart. Like seriously, be original. Get your own music. Stop stealing routines from others. It's not right.
video ?

It's actually funny because by the end of the season, I think most coaches (or maybe just me) tend to change so much that you wonder what you were given in the first place....

I often wonder why I pay someone to come and choreograph when I change so much of it too!! :)

i no this has nothing to do with dance but i saw on shaycarl he went to a high school cheer comp and use senior elite music i think it was 2010 mix lol

there is a team from Ohio with the second half of stingrays cheer( national champions, one more time. let's go ******) and I've heard too many teams with cheer extremes voice overs. SO original..

Havent seen dances being ripped of comps, well at least not that I've noticed :p but I'm pretty sure a couple of girls on my team said they were at a competition last season and one team were using Senior Elite's music v/o and all and then one of top gun's mixes, I think they even said the two teams were from the same gym :/

Back