Roundoff

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ren

May 2, 2012
I know it's a long shot that someone is going to be able to help me over the internet (especially as I don't have a video of me doing it yet) but it's worth a try:
I started cheer in March, and one of the first things I was taught was a roundoff. I had an issue with them for a couple of months because I just couldn't pop off the ground- I'd always end up landing with one hand still on the ground.
So I went to a gymnastics class, and they fixed it. I was so happy, and it meant I could move onto BHS. We haven't really been doing much tumbling in practice lately, but I tried my roundoff for the first time in a few weeks on Sunday and when I landed I ended up twisting my arms around to my right and my chest was down. No matter what I tried, I can't get my chest up when I land- the best I managed was landing and twisting, then getting my chest up when I rebounded.
Any ideas on what might help? I know it's a bit of a long shot... I'll try to get a video of it next time we train on a sprung floor which might be a bit more useful than my description!

It's a lot harder to tumble on a dead mat, and that probably has a lot to do with it. Try doing some handstand snap down drills to practice blocking through your shoulders and getting your chest up

It's a lot harder to tumble on a dead mat, and that probably has a lot to do with it. Try doing some handstand snap down drills to practice blocking through your shoulders and getting your chest up

On Sunday (when it all went wrong!) I was on a tumble track (not the air one, just like a slightly bouncier sprung floor), so no excuse there :(
And that's exactly what my coach had me practice but I did those fine, landed chest up and arms up.
I would guess it's something to do with turning in the roundoff but I don't really have a clue! I'm going to start gymnastics so hopefully I'll be able to spend some more time on it there.

Back