High School Running Tucks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 21, 2017
How do you make sure you get over. I know when I got my bus consistent from a roundoff I told myself to just jump and arch and I knew I would make it over. What would be the equivalent for a running tuck besides a set or at least a different way to interpret set

How do you make sure you get over. I know when I got my bus consistent from a roundoff I told myself to just jump and arch and I knew I would make it over. What would be the equivalent for a running tuck besides a set or at least a different way to interpret set

It sounds like The first problem you’re having is your roundoff. I don’t even have to look at it to know that if you’re telling yourself to “jump and (do anything),” it’s not correct. You should be able to go hands down, block, snap and rebound and generate enough power to come off your toes and do any skill you want to do. Bent knee “jumping” is not correct. It sounds like a case study in what I tell my girls “you can ‘sell’ some
Skills with poor technique, but when you start trying to advance, the poor technique will ‘sell’ you short.”

I get what you're saying, I have little mantras I tell myself so I focus on one thing and then I let muscle memory do the rest too.
Baring issues with your roundoff, if you wrap under you should think "Wrap and hold". Assuming you wrap tight enough you can land still wrapped/closed just fine.
As you get comfortable with the tuck and they get higher ideally you should open up instead of landing still wrapped (so that you can work towards more difficult skills), but to this day I land my standing tuck still wrapped and then stand up. I set, bring my knees up between my arms, wrap under my legs, and then hold on tight/stay closed until my feet hit the floor.

So long story short, "Wrap and hold on" would be a good mantra.

You should be arching. You should be setting, and honestly, you shouldn't be learning it from a roundoff or learning it wrapped. If you have to wrap it to land it, you shouldn't be doing it on the floor, and doing it out of the roundoff forces the set, so it doesn't require you to learn a proper set. You should be learning it out of a BHS. You need to be blocking confidently out of your BHS, snapping a little shorter than you would for a BHS series, setting up for the tuck, and pulling your knees up. That should initiate the rotation and there should be no need to wrap. If you have to wrap to get over , the knee pull isn't strong enough and needs more conditioning.

Back