Scared Of Flying?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 18, 2013
I'm becoming a flyer On senior level 2 and I'm just really scared of falling down. (I use to base) I'm not aggressive enough when I push off my bases shoulders cuz I feel like ill fall. I know tht I'm not giving it my all but I can't help it cuz I'm just afraid, it's like a mental block! Even just for a prep I end up falling, something gets messed up and ik it's my fault but I can't help it. Like my paranoia about falling pretty much just makes me fall! Pleeeaaaasssee help! All tips appreciated, I MUST get over this fear

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Well, this is how I would look at it. You used to be a base, right? And as a base you should do anything to make sure your flyer doesn't fall or get hurt. So, just look at it from that stand point. If the people underneath you are going to do their best to keep you up there, then you should have nothing to worry about. I just tell myself that it's faith over fear, and that I'm going to fall. It happens. It's cheer.

trust your bases & try your best to attack every new skill as best you can.
being scared is totally normal & perfectly okay but you can't let your fear paralyze you!
Good Luck!!

If you're really struggling to hit your preps, maybe you could try some show-and-gos first? Obviously not going through to extension but just drilling that so you practice rising up and standing and then coming straight back down. It should help you get your weight placement right which will help with balance and you'll be so bored of them after drilling drilling drilling, you be longing to move on!

The more aggressive you are, the safer you will be! If you stand up quickly and tight, it will be so much easier on your bases and your chances of falling are even lower than they would be if you were cautious and timid.

I used to have this problem! I was afraid to fly but I was always the shortest and smallest! Mostly, you just need to trust your bases. I've fallen from stunts MANY times, but honestly, you need to WANT to fly. Just push off hard, and stand up straight. Have a front spot the first couple times, grab her hands, and have the bases dip and put you in a prep. You'll be leaning forward still and holding the front spot's hands. Then let go.

If you still can't do it, you just might be a base. It happened to me, but I can fly

I'm becoming a flyer On senior level 2 and I'm just really scared of falling down. (I use to base) I'm not aggressive enough when I push off my bases shoulders cuz I feel like ill fall. I know tht I'm not giving it my all but I can't help it cuz I'm just afraid, it's like a mental block! Even just for a prep I end up falling, something gets messed up and ik it's my fault but I can't help it. Like my paranoia about falling pretty much just makes me fall! Pleeeaaaasssee help! All tips appreciated, I MUST get over this fear

Then don't fly, trust me there is ALOT of people that would fly.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

When I first started flying I was scared!
At first everything you do new will be scary and that's okay! I 2 was a first time flyer in level 2
But here is some tips...
1. Think about your arms or next move
2. Stay tight
3. NEVER LOOK DOWN!
4. Communite with bases but not to the point you get loose! Like for example you feel like ur about to fall say down. (That's how I was tonight) talk more so on ground

5. Pratice at home with to go block or chair is what I did
6. Stretch
7. Work out legs and stomach/ butt good just really whole body.

How this helped! Look up YouTube videos too!

Back