Scorpion Help...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MomOf2ThatsMe

Cheer Parent
Feb 18, 2011
CP focused on her tumbling for the past few months as that was the area where she was really lacking for her team. As a result, she wasn't stretching the way she needed to because the routine wasn't requiring her to do "advanced" positions- heel stretches and scorpions. Now, they have amped up the routine and she has to do a scorpion, and we are having trouble with her technique. She is plenty flexible, but she isn't doing something right. I am not positive, but when she pulls scorps, and even when she is doing front-back splits to stretch, it's almost like she is rotating her left hip up and out (if that makes any sense). It is becoming really difficult to get her to where she needs to be. I have tried manually shifting that hip back in line with the other. Any thoughts?!

She might need more hip flexor flexibility, especially if she has been tumbling a lot. Try front lunges where the right knee is perpendicular to the ground, back is straight and keeping the hips square with the top of the led foot on the ground rather than out to the side.

My hip does that too and it just takes practice and lots of focus.

To her: When you grab your foot, make sure your hips are square and you aren't turning your shoulder too much because that makes you turn. I know when I do it wrong because my shoulder will start to hurt. Keep your eyes focused high up on a wall and just trust that you'll grab it right. It won't come the first day you do it, but just keep doing it and it becomes more natural.

Back