Music Selling Music

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 13, 2010
I've been working on creating cheer mixes for a few years now, and I've gotten pretty good at it. I've done them for the high school team I coach, the all-star team I coach and other teams in the program, high schools in my area, etc. I want to start SELLING this music... legally. Does anyone have good tips about how to get started with this? Thanks!

I've been working on creating cheer mixes for a few years now, and I've gotten pretty good at it. I've done them for the high school team I coach, the all-star team I coach and other teams in the program, high schools in my area, etc. I want to start SELLING this music... legally. Does anyone have good tips about how to get started with this? Thanks!

I'd start advertising to the High School and rec teams around you first, since they usually don't have huge budgets to spend on the big name mixers.

Starting a website and sharing it on the Fierceboard sounds like a good start. As someone has mentioned, a lot of people cant afford the big name guys. I have found a "small name" guy that did ALL of my mixes this summer (I believe he did over 60 teams for me, plus referrals) Id also contact choreographers and let them know that you could produce a good quality for cheaper. Also contact allstar gyms and maybe offer to do a free mix for a lower level, and if they like it, Im sure they would consider you for other teams. Also maybe local colleges for their halftime routines, or something, do some free little halftime routine cuts. You have to figure if its good they would tell their old High School, Allstar, oir Rec coach. Word of mouth is the best!

Well, I have the people who want my music already. Surrounding high schools and all star teams have already contacted me asking for it for next year :) BUT, I want to make sure I do it legally as far as taxes and such.. would one just do the same thing as small business owners? Thanks!! :)

International Teams don't really have big budgets for music too, because cheer is not really run as profitable businesses outside North America...(Unsure about other areas) However they do love US Standard music...so international market is quite a good place too...market on Facebook!

I started the exact same way. I did individual mixes for kids I knew, then for a few local school teams. I charged next to nothing just to get my name out there ($50 per minute of music), and because I loved mixing so much I really WANTED to mix for people! After a few years I was hired to do an all star mix, and then the word of mouth started to spread. My biggest helper in getting my business off the ground was becoming known as the "emergency cheer mix" producer here on the boards. Over the past few years several opportunities arose where people needed last minute mixes, and I was happy to step in and help them. I cannot tell you how much this board has helped my business!! It is ALL about word of mouth!!

You MUST provide great customer service though. Make sure you are super professional, quick turn-around time, super quick edit turn-around time, and never act insulted when clients want something changed. Great customer service and quick turn-around can set you apart! Eventually you can get a website going, but I will bet most clients still hire me due to word of mouth, and repeat business year after year. It is just not necessary to pay for a website until you are more established.

Just remember there are TONS of teams out there who need low-budget music!! Take care of them and treat them like BIG DOG clients and they will refer you like crazy :). Good luck!

I think the advice the OP is looking for is more on the business end. Should they become and LLC, are they an independent contractor? How do they file taxes?
I do bows on the side, but just for a few local teams. I really only charge them enough to cover costs, so it's not an income thing for me.
I don't know which route of incorporation is the best for you. If you have a law school nearby, contact them to see if they have anyone you could consult with. I suggested a law school, because these students need experience, so you could get it low cost or free.

I am just a sole proprietor. I use Quickbooks Pro software. I use the reports I generate from Quickbooks to file my taxes on a Schedule C when we file our family income taxes. Easy peasy lol. I do not feel the need to incorporate or become an LLC at the point. Perhaps some of the larger music production companies represented on the boards could give the OP advice about that. Good luck!

Back