Setting For A Back Tuck

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 28, 2016
I know every gym has this issue, but I need some suggestions...

I have a girl that came from another program that does her RO BHS Tuck with NO set of her arms. She is strong enough to just jump and land her tuck correctly, BUT we all know how that scores!! :)

I have tried her on a trampoline with arms up throwing the tuck and she does fine with that.
I have tried having her go and do the pass onto a 7' by 14' by 4' high resi with 8 in mats on it to simply do the set and keep her arms up and she can do that...
I have tried spotting her on the tuck and she does better, but when she does it by herself she will "never" set with her arms by her ears.

HELP! :)

Any suggestions?

I have a suggestion for you. Wait your time out to get out of newbie status then post in one of the AllStar forums. Most posters don't come back to newbie often for meaningful discussion.

You can also then get into the Coaches forum and get better discussion there unless you want advice from a bunch of parents and athletes mixed in.

Happy posting!

When she does her round off handspring rebound, do her arms go up? If not, she needs to go back and learn it again, as this is very important for layouts and fulls. I know I've had to break this habit with my lessons a few times. Some athletes for whatever reason feel more comfortable rebounding with their arms down. When a rebound with the arms up becomes second nature, she may be willing to attempt the tuck the correct way, and it might be an important lesson if you inform her that she won't be throwing tucks again until she can use her arms in her set.

I agree that you should send her back to RO BHS with a set - no moving on until she's doing it well. I think she's able to do it with you spotting, cos she can think about it, but once the spotter is gone, she reverts to old habits. I'm like that too. I've also done passes onto crash mats (which you may be doing, I wasn't sure from your post), either 1 or 2 high. Other athletes were landing their passes onto port-a-pits. Having the additional height to land on made me very aware of setting up to gain that height, and my tumbling really improved in gaining height and setting. But start on 1 and move her up as she is comfortable. Don't start on the high one, obviously.

When she does her round off handspring rebound, do her arms go up? If not, she needs to go back and learn it again, as this is very important for layouts and fulls. I know I've had to break this habit with my lessons a few times. Some athletes for whatever reason feel more comfortable rebounding with their arms down. When a rebound with the arms up becomes second nature, she may be willing to attempt the tuck the correct way, and it might be an important lesson if you inform her that she won't be throwing tucks again until she can use her arms in her set.

Thank you for the response and yes in rebounds "when thinking about a rebound only" she gets her arms up. When she throws the tuck - arms go literally by her sides and she just throws the tuck.

I agree that you should send her back to RO BHS with a set - no moving on until she's doing it well. I think she's able to do it with you spotting, cos she can think about it, but once the spotter is gone, she reverts to old habits. I'm like that too. I've also done passes onto crash mats (which you may be doing, I wasn't sure from your post), either 1 or 2 high. Other athletes were landing their passes onto port-a-pits. Having the additional height to land on made me very aware of setting up to gain that height, and my tumbling really improved in gaining height and setting. But start on 1 and move her up as she is comfortable. Don't start on the high one, obviously.

Thank you!

I have also had this same problem with my own. I learned a BHS before a tuck and now that I'm working on a tuck I can't get the set right for it. Any tips?

I have also had this same problem with my own. I learned a BHS before a tuck and now that I'm working on a tuck I can't get the set right for it. Any tips?
Every time I start someone on a tuck I literally say, "You know how to do a handspring right? Well forget what you've learned about a handspring, because a tuck is way different." I'll post some pictures for a visual.

The eagle: this is the position you want to set from, with a dip and a fast extension from the eagle to the set.

ru1cjrJ.jpg

The set: shoulders pulled slightly back with a full extension from the legs, note that there is no sit backwards, the legs stand straight up, toes are the last thing off the ground. Arms in a high touchdown.
pGCv3h4.jpg

The pull: while keeping the back straight, pull the hips and knees upward using your legs and core. Your shoulders should be at their highest here.

HhsiuIx.jpg

Start to pull the shoulders while maintaining a straight back. Pull with your arms and continue pulling with your knees and core. The hips should still be rising at this point.

WKuGR17.jpg

Your hips should now be at their highest point. Pull your shoulders up and continue to pull all the way until the landing.

fTyx8V9.jpg

Spot your landing and absorb with your knees.

IWLrv69.jpg

vSVxKjG.jpg

Edit. @Allie_T12g3fca2a I'm not sure if you wanted help with running or standing, but everything applies with running tumbling, except for the eagle step. ; )

Last edited:
My CP is struggling with this same thing right now. She will finally, after weeks of work, set correctly pretty much every time In ROBHS and ROBHS series, and when the tuck is spotted, but not on her own. She whips every time. One drill that seems to be making a difference is landing ROBHS in front of a large resi mat with a wedge on top and tucking up onto the wedge. The top of the wedge is high enough that she HAS to go up before she goes back to make it, and it seems to help her find her set.

My CP is struggling with this same thing right now. She will finally, after weeks of work, set correctly pretty much every time In ROBHS and ROBHS series, and when the tuck is spotted, but not on her own. She whips every time. One drill that seems to be making a difference is landing ROBHS in front of a large resi mat with a wedge on top and tucking up onto the wedge. The top of the wedge is high enough that she HAS to go up before she goes back to make it, and it seems to help her find her set.
This is a great drill if you have the equipment!

Back