Should Colleges Have Different Types Of Cheerleading Squads?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 46469

Interesting question.
Meaghan Mackey (@meaghanmackey) — 2555 answers, 2362 likes | ASKfm

Do you think that looks play a part in making a cheer team? I tried out for my university cheer team and although I was friendly and helpful with everyone and had more advanced skills than most people I didn't make the team but people with far less skills than I made it but they are much prettier.

Looks definitely play a huge factor for most college cheerleading programs and all professional cheerleading teams

How would you feel if colleges decided to have two different types of cheerleading squads? One cheerleading squad made up of the pretty girls that perform at Football games and another cheerleading squad that doesn't pick its members based on looks but instead on skill and instead of performing at football games they would perform at competitions.

Bad idea?

I definitely think it's a bad idea. All squads should be based in a combination of skill and "stage presence". I don't think facial beauty is a huge consideration in anyone's cheer selection process, but I do think that being well put together and appealing to a crowd is and should be a consideration, along with body type and fitness level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it all depends on the source of the squad and their needs.

Meaning... does the Athletic Department want pretty faces on the sidelines and on tv? Or do they want a successful and athletic looking cheer squad that is executing skills with ease on the sidelines?

If you have two squads and one is for competition only, what does that do for the school? Does it affect their enrollment? Their branding? Their budgets?

it all depends on the source of the squad and their needs.

Meaning... does the Athletic Department want pretty faces on the sidelines and on tv? Or do they want a successful and athletic looking cheer squad that is executing skills with ease on the sidelines?

If you have two squads and one is for competition only, what does that do for the school? Does it affect their enrollment? Their branding? Their budgets?

And there is also the risk of injury.

Interesting question.
Meaghan Mackey (@meaghanmackey) — 2555 answers, 2362 likes | ASKfm

Do you think that looks play a part in making a cheer team? I tried out for my university cheer team and although I was friendly and helpful with everyone and had more advanced skills than most people I didn't make the team but people with far less skills than I made it but they are much prettier.

Looks definitely play a huge factor for most college cheerleading programs and all professional cheerleading teams

How would you feel if colleges decided to have two different types of cheerleading squads? One cheerleading squad made up of the pretty girls that perform at Football games and another cheerleading squad that doesn't pick its members based on looks but instead on skill and instead of performing at football games they would perform at competitions.

Bad idea?
I know a college that has two squads. One for comps and one for games

Many already do. A collegiate teams primary focus is to uphold traditions and promote athletics. Try joining a club team or the sports acro group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many already do. A collegiate teams primary focus is to uphold traditions and promote athletics. Try joining a club team or the sports acro group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what my oldest's school does. Their game day teams compete at UCA and their club team goes to NCA.

Back