All-Star Should I Try Out For Worlds Teams?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2016
I cheered for two years, and progressed rather quickly, but I was never taught proper tumbling technique. I quit after the end of the second season (due to mental health issues and conflict with the head coach) I thought that would be the end of my cheer career, but I ended up moving to an area with a couple of different gyms to choose from. I've been taking tumbling classes, where I've re-learned and corrected some of my tumbling, and flying clinics at one gym since september and I know I'm going to be on a team at this gym next year. One of the coaches has already filled out an evaluation of my skills (tryouts are only for new athletes and worlds teams) so I will be placed on a team but I'm debating wether I should bother trying out for a worlds team.

The gym has two worlds teams, a small senior 5 that is going into their second season, and an IOC6 going into their third season. With both teams being fairly new there are some athletes that aren't all around level 5 or 6 athletes. My issue is that I can fly level 5 stunts but my tumbling is level 3, working on level 4. I know that if I get on a team, with practice at least two times a week plus tumbling classes, I will be able to get tumbling skills at a pretty good pace, I won't be getting a double any time soon, but I may be able to get a full in a few months. I'm wondering if I should even bother trying out for a worlds team, knowing that I don't have all of the skills that I should. Normally I would just wait until next season, but this upcoming season will be my senior year of highschool and while I would still be age eligible next season I don't know if I will still be in the same city, or if I will go to a different city for college, or if I will even have time in my schedule for cheer.

So basically: Should I bother trying out for a worlds team?

I cheered for two years, and progressed rather quickly, but I was never taught proper tumbling technique. I quit after the end of the second season (due to mental health issues and conflict with the head coach) I thought that would be the end of my cheer career, but I ended up moving to an area with a couple of different gyms to choose from. I've been taking tumbling classes, where I've re-learned and corrected some of my tumbling, and flying clinics at one gym since september and I know I'm going to be on a team at this gym next year. One of the coaches has already filled out an evaluation of my skills (tryouts are only for new athletes and worlds teams) so I will be placed on a team but I'm debating wether I should bother trying out for a worlds team.

The gym has two worlds teams, a small senior 5 that is going into their second season, and an IOC6 going into their third season. With both teams being fairly new there are some athletes that aren't all around level 5 or 6 athletes. My issue is that I can fly level 5 stunts but my tumbling is level 3, working on level 4. I know that if I get on a team, with practice at least two times a week plus tumbling classes, I will be able to get tumbling skills at a pretty good pace, I won't be getting a double any time soon, but I may be able to get a full in a few months. I'm wondering if I should even bother trying out for a worlds team, knowing that I don't have all of the skills that I should. Normally I would just wait until next season, but this upcoming season will be my senior year of highschool and while I would still be age eligible next season I don't know if I will still be in the same city, or if I will go to a different city for college, or if I will even have time in my schedule for cheer.

Well, would you like to be on a Worlds team? If you would then I don't see the harm in trying out. I would guess if they don't think you are a good fit they won't place you on either of those teams.

You likely aren't going to go from a tuck to a full with good technique in a few months, that's just the reality of the situation. That being said, I don't see any harm in trying out for a worlds team, even if you don't make it. You are showing your coaches that you want to work for it. If the gym is looking to be competitive, their goal should be to have level appropriate teams. For you, that would be level 3. Be ready and willing to accept that and work towards a worlds team.

I cheered for two years, and progressed rather quickly, but I was never taught proper tumbling technique. I quit after the end of the second seaseason (due to mental health issues and conflict with the head coach) I thought that would be the end of my cheer career, but I ended up moving to an area with a couple of different gyms to choose from. I've been taking tumbling classes, where I've re-learned and corrected some of my tumbling, and flying clinics at one gym since september and I know I'm going to be on a team at this gym next year. One of the coaches has already filled out an evaluation of my skills (tryouts are only for new athletes and worlds teams) so I will be placed on a team but I'm debating wether I should bother trying out for a worlds team.

Why not tryout for the Worlds team, you really have nothing to lose and if you do not make the team, that gives you 1 year of AS experience and definitely, probably, make that Worlds team next season...

In reality, it's up to you if you want to try out or not. If you want to try out for the experience and possibly make the team, then great. If you are only going to try out if there is a sure chance you'll make the team, then don't. Go into it, show your skills, hope for the best, but expect the worst. They might take you as an alternate if you don't make the actual team at first.

Side Question- how long did it take you to progress from no tumbling, to backhandspring, to tuck, to layout? Just curious?

If you're interested in competing at Worlds, tryout. The worst is that the club says no and you cheer on a different levelled team. You never know what might happen. And for most of the Worlds teams in my area, if you have a tuck or higher, you're making a Worlds team cos not everyone can tumble at leave as with many younger levels. Good luck!

In reality, it's up to you if you want to try out or not. If you want to try out for the experience and possibly make the team, then great. If you are only going to try out if there is a sure chance you'll make the team, then don't. Go into it, show your skills, hope for the best, but expect the worst. They might take you as an alternate if you don't make the actual team at first.

Side Question- how long did it take you to progress from no tumbling, to backhandspring, to tuck, to layout? Just curious?

no tumbling to handspring was probably about 6 months, and then tuck and standing tuck/ jumps to tuck about 3 months after that, and layout took another 3-4 months. I had just started working on fulls about 3 weeks or so before I quit.

no tumbling to handspring was probably about 6 months, and then tuck and standing tuck/ jumps to tuck about 3 months after that, and layout took another 3-4 months. I had just started working on fulls about 3 weeks or so before I quit.
Would you feel comfortable posting videos of you tumbling? Your progression seems rather quick and you want to ensure that your technique is solid.

I would go for it! It sounds that they look at more than just tumbling, so maybe you could make it. Honestly I would talk to your coach and let him/her know that you are interested in being on a worlds team. He might be able to give you some insight on what your chances are and if you have a chance at making the team. Whatever you decide, just make sure you are keeping with good technique and not just trying to whip new skill around just the progress faster! Remember: PERFECTION BEFORE PROGRESSION! Good luck!

You cheered for 2 years and said your tumbling is a level 3 and working on level 4? So, took you 2 years to get your current tumbling? Jumps to standing tucks and layouts are level 4? Working on fulls, is working R5 level skills? Also, you are listed as Coach/athlete . What do you Coach?

Last edited:
Would you feel comfortable posting videos of you tumbling? Your progression seems rather quick and you want to ensure that your technique is solid.

I don't have any videos of me tumbling at the moment, but ill see if I can find some. I might have to do some digging through my old phone : )

You cheered for 2 years and said your tumbling is a level 3 and working on level 4? So, took you 2 years to get your current tumbling? Jumps to standing tucks and layouts are level 4? Working on fulls, is working R5 level skills? Also, you are listed as Coach/athlete . What do you Coach?

I used to have level 4 tumbling, which took me two years to get, but I quit for a year and have spent this past season working on getting back to where I was at after not doing any sport or physical activity for a while. So currently I have pretty solid level 3 tumbling, and am working on getting back to where I was. It was also a big adjustment from learning to tumble as an athletic twelve year old, to learning to tumble as an out of shape 16 year old, that with the fact that I was only able to tumble for half an hour once a week basically meant having to slowly re-learn a lot of my tumbling.

And I'm not currently coaching and haven't for a while, but I used to assistant coach a few recreational teams at my first all star gym. I am certified for level 1 and 2, but I mostly was teaching very basic skills, and choreo to first time cheerleaders :)

I used to have level 4 tumbling, which took me two years to get, but I quit for a year and have spent this past season working on getting back to where I was at after not doing any sport or physical activity for a while. So currently I have pretty solid level 3 tumbling, and am working on getting back to where I was. It was also a big adjustment from learning to tumble as an athletic twelve year old, to learning to tumble as an out of shape 16 year old, that with the fact that I was only able to tumble for half an hour once a week basically meant having to slowly re-learn a lot of my tumbling.

And I'm not currently coaching and haven't for a while, but I used to assistant coach a few recreational teams at my first all star gym. I am certified for level 1 and 2, but I mostly was teaching very basic skills, and choreo to first time cheerleaders :)

You have to be 18 to be certified through USASF. May I ask, who are you certified through? I don't know how it works in Canada.

US All Star Federation: HOW TO GET CREDENTIALED

Last edited:
Back