High School Signs For Competition- What Makes Them Good?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

There is no right answer, but there are some wrong ones! We have every type of sign there is; rectangles, squares, circles, flip open signs, switchable signs, word signs and plain color signs. I like circle signs if they make sense. Octagon ones kind of irk me, but thats a personal preference. We have never had a comment or score reflect the shape of the sign.

Dark signs don't score well. Make sure they are easy to see, easy to read. Contrast in colors. Gold/yellow for example doesn't show up on white. Having a buffer color or border can make difficult to see colors stand out more.

Big signs score well. Too big of signs get clumsy. Make sure the signs aren't so big that your kids look awkward using them.

Keep in mind that signs are important, but they cannot save a bad cheer or break a great cheer! To score well on the cheer, you really need to focus on how your girls cheer.
I have been looking for a place that has flip open signs for over a year lol, do you have a company you'd recommend?

I have been looking for a place that has flip open signs for over a year lol, do you have a company you'd recommend?
We used a little local owned sign shop. If you're in the middle TN area, I can share the contact! I don't have a solution other than going to a shop local to you. I have never worked with an online sign company.

We used a little local owned sign shop. If you're in the middle TN area, I can share the contact! I don't have a solution other than going to a shop local to you. I have never worked with an online sign company.
Unfortunately I'm not, but if I were to go to a local shop and asked for flip out signs would they know what I'm talking about or is there a specific name?

Unfortunately I'm not, but if I were to go to a local shop and asked for flip out signs would they know what I'm talking about or is there a specific name?
I showed them a video when I went in and drew up a sketch of what I wanted. From there we made a mock-up out of a piece of cardboard. I took it home and to practice to see the functionality of it and size compared to the girls using it. They then took scrap plastic and made a sample and finally once we were happy they made the final ones. For our signs like that I went in probably 4 or 5 times because it was that shops first time doing something like that and I'm picky! It sounds complicated but it really wasn't!

I showed them a video when I went in and drew up a sketch of what I wanted. From there we made a mock-up out of a piece of cardboard. I took it home and to practice to see the functionality of it and size compared to the girls using it. They then took scrap plastic and made a sample and finally once we were happy they made the final ones. For our signs like that I went in probably 4 or 5 times because it was that shops first time doing something like that and I'm picky! It sounds complicated but it really wasn't!
Thanks!

What area are you from? The sign place we used was awesome. They called them "story book signs". We don't use them but she explained to me that they do them.

I agree with big and plain signs, but I have to admit that I love innovation with signs sometimes. Just something out of the norm is great to see. I like to see people thinking outside of the box! Most times it's a great start to something that could be awesome! This year at nationals there was a team that had retractable signs and I saw one team at All-Star Nationals that had signs they tumbled through. Very creative! Nice to see something different occasionally.

What's the coolest non traditional type of sign you've ever seen?

Back