For Parents So why ARE uniforms so expensive?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 10, 2022
My husband’s jaw dropped when he finally registered that our uniforms are $650.00 each. Short of telling him that Varsity runs a racket and gets the price they demand, always have, always will, can anyone help a newbie out with explaining WHY the uniforms cost so much? To my husband’s point, we ain’t exactly buying protective gear…

The gym uses the uniforms for three years, but with young girls growing so quickly, the scamble seems to begin anew each summer to find a fit without buying brand news.

Thanks in advance!

Our gym used Varsity and they were considerably lower than that. As a once buyer, however, I will share why they're expensive, as well as, why the prices vary so much by gym.

1) They are custom costumes with multiple small size runs and low quantities.

2) Crystals. Depending on your gyms love of crystals, they can raise the price substantially.

3) Gyms often load uniforms with their own fees for processing time and having stock on hand for new athletes, lost items, damaged, and growth spurts. Some businesses can afford to front most of that money knowing they will probably get a lot of it back, others know that any extra uniforms not sold is money they've lost, so they build it into the cost of doing business.

My husband’s jaw dropped when he finally registered that our uniforms are $650.00 each. Short of telling him that Varsity runs a racket and gets the price they demand, always have, always will, can anyone help a newbie out with explaining WHY the uniforms cost so much? To my husband’s point, we ain’t exactly buying protective gear…

The gym uses the uniforms for three years, but with young girls growing so quickly, the scamble seems to begin anew each summer to find a fit without buying brand news.

Thanks in advance!
Never have I ever paid this much or have people pay this much. My jaw would have dropped too.

But as long as nobody speaks, I doubt that your gym will take the time to consider finding a lower cost option.

Short of telling him that Varsity runs a racket and gets the price they demand, always have, always will, can anyone help a newbie out with explaining WHY the uniforms cost so much?
In addition to what was posted earlier, your uniform costs that much because your program allows it to cost that much. Yes, V is expensive, but you can get affordable uni's from them. You can't put the entirety of the blame on them.

Thanks in advance!
Unless you are on multiple teams with custom uniforms or a worlds team that has multiple uniforms thought the year you are getting jobbed by gym upcharging. My CP has been competing for 11 years at multiple large/well know gyms, and we have never paid more then $450 for a Worlds and $350ish for a program uniform.

Back