OT Special Needs Team Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 31, 2010
Hi everyone!

I've been the assistant coach of a Special Needs team for about 4 years now and as of this season I am Head Coach. I have a couple things I'm looking for help on!!

1. Can anyone think of any simple, fun stunts for us to try? The skill level on the team is extremely varied. We have one girl who can do a heel stretch at half level and then a few other who can also fly preps. We also have a couple girls who can base preps and teddy bears. Others can do thigh stands. Basically, I want to come up with some simple stunts so they can be challenged and learn something new! We have helpers who can base more advanced flyers, but I also would like stunts that the special needs girls can base.:)

2. As a reward at the end of practice, we like to play a game. Usually we play duck-duck goose or freeze dance. I want to come up with a few more fun games so we can change it up from practice to practice!

Any help on either one would be fantastic! I am so proud of all the kids on the team and really want to reward them with something new. I love to see them accomplish new skills! Thanks so much everyone.

Keep working hard on teaching stunting techniques to the athletes. They CAN learn with lots of repitition. Having a helper as the backspot will usually alleviate problems and a helper front spot while they learn.

Watch lots of videos of level 3 teams an lower. That will give you ideas that you can take and modify for your own use.

Games are good, but they also need to know that they are there to work and the work is important.

If we played a game, it would usually be a Simon Says version of various motions (high V, T, etc.). That way they were still practicing and didn't know it.

Thank you!!

I try to set out a block of time to work on stunts every practice. I will make sure we do a lot of repetition and will definitely enforce technique! I will go look for some videos now :)

Love the idea for Simon Says with motions. I've been trying to think of games that involved motions and other routine-related thing. Once the season gets underway, I like have them to the cheer/ dance/ other motion sequence from the routine. If you do it correctly, you move onto the next round with a new motion sequence. Get them all correct and you get a sticker on the sticker board (our rewards system).

Thanks again for your help! Any other suggestions would be great as well.

Thank you!!

I try to set out a block of time to work on stunts every practice. I will make sure we do a lot of repetition and will definitely enforce technique! I will go look for some videos now :)

Love the idea for Simon Says with motions. I've been trying to think of games that involved motions and other routine-related thing. Once the season gets underway, I like have them to the cheer/ dance/ other motion sequence from the routine. If you do it correctly, you move onto the next round with a new motion sequence. Get them all correct and you get a sticker on the sticker board (our rewards system).

Thanks again for your help! Any other suggestions would be great as well.
ACEDAD is definitely a great person to go to! He has coached ACE Bows 'N Arrows for the past few years!

Back