OT Speech Topic: Are Childhood Sports Too Competitive?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
This is gonna be kinda short since I'm on my phone (broke my computer.. Again), but I am working on my speech right now and a lot of what y'all have said is included. About how parents are trying to live through their kids yet there are still the good ones who keep the fun in it. Im also talking about how starting younger and younger more "burnouts" and injuries occur which in turn result in kids not wanting to go back to their sports. Specializing young is another topic I'm exploring because specializing young means you may not get other skills you could learn from more sports. Thanks for the input though, keep it coming! It's a semester long class so I'm only breaching the topic this week
In years past, yes I'm that old, parents did not invest as much time and money into their kids sports. Organized sports were at the Middle School and High School, and if there was a "league" sport when I was growing up, I didn't know about it. With that said, when you are a parent and you are writing checks in the upwards of $5,000-$10,000 per sport activity/per child and you're spending 6 and more hours per week per sports/per child, it does tend to over-invest the parents. I am not justifying the behavior, however, spending this much time and money in sports is truly a new phenomenom on this large of scale, and just like any investment, parents want to see a "return" for the money they are spending. Unfortunately, also, many parents can't afford to spend this type of time/money on sports, but do anyhow, so it puts additional stress in the mix. Lastly, on burnout, my child is required to tumble one hour per week for her team. I, however, require her to tumble two hours per week, plus a half hour private. Why? Not because I'm a cheer mom, but my daughter tumbles slowly. She has injured herself by others colliding into her, because she doesn't tumble fast. She tends to "bust" her tumbling if she isn't extremely confident in her passes. I don't care what sport she decides to do, but I will require her to do what is needed to keep her safe in that sport. On starting kids young, often it is as simple as, neighbor kids are so busy anymore, that if your child isn't involved in something they will be coach potatoes. Again, this is a new phenomenom.

I believe they are very competitive sometimes because of the coaches and parents. All they want is the fame and glory (Most of the time for themselves & not the kid) and they want to live vicariously through their kids because they didn't have a chance. You see those Toddlers and Tiaras Parents, the Dance Moms and such but it's not just them. My friend plays select baseball, (which he loves) but his dad pushes him far too hard and even threw him across the garage once. And keep in mind, this kid is 5"8 and weighs 180 lbs. And plus, this lady on T&T said she was over $10,000 in debt from pageants! And it didn't even look like her daughter was that interested! They're teaching kids to be over competitive and to win at all costs no matter what the outcome. As long as you win. It can help kids, but sometimes give them psychological problems for the future.
Love this!!!! It's so true!!! Too many parents putting the pressure on their kids! They are kids!!! Competitive is good but it has to be healthy! Society has taken this to a whole new level. Somewhat disturbing!

Welcome to the New CA generation~ Claws Out Ya'll!

This is gonna be kinda short since I'm on my phone (broke my computer.. Again), but I am working on my speech right now and a lot of what y'all have said is included. About how parents are trying to live through their kids yet there are still the good ones who keep the fun in it. Im also talking about how starting younger and younger more "burnouts" and injuries occur which in turn result in kids not wanting to go back to their sports. Specializing young is another topic I'm exploring because specializing young means you may not get other skills you could learn from more sports. Thanks for the input though, keep it coming! It's a semester long class so I'm only breaching the topic this week

I played ice hockey from the time I was 7 and I still play and started cheering in 7th grade. Hockey has helped me SO much with tumbling and stunting because of how much leg muscle I have and endurance to get through routines. On the other hand, cheer helped me with hockey a ton too because of the arm muscle I got from level 4 stunting, so I was able to shoot way harder at hockey. So maybe you could mention how if the focus was on two or three sports (in different seasons) they would complement each other because of the different muscles being worked.

Reading through all the posts, I completely understand the different points of views. IMO, to answer your question, I would say no. and this is not because I feel that youth sports is not too competitive, it is; however, when you take a look at the reasons it has evolved, to answer no, would leave us with a very unpleasant alternative.
The reasons I feel that youth sports has become so competitive is because kids have to be a part of organized activities because of the alternatives: watching TV, playing video games, and getting very unhealthy due to inactivity. Back in the day, you could go outside and run, ride your bike, play stick ball, etc. But because of increased crime even you your suburbs, this is no longer a safe option......so most communities now have rec programs. A place for neighborhood kids to go and participate in physical activities (sports). This is a reasonable alternative. You have those parents who can afford more puts their kids is private activities, mostly because of the parents, or becasue Susie is practicing cheerleading with the rec program and Kathy has no one to play with......
As to the competitive aspect of the activities, well lets face it, you have competitive adults coaching kids and basically competing with other competitive adults.....:) it is evolution and there's no way to progress without it....

long post, but hope it helps....

Back