All-Star Spirit Cheer 2/12 - 13/2011 Hartford, CT

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Anyone know if any professional videographers there this past weekend? Saw action pit stop did photo's but wondering about video.

Not looking to start drama at all. This is a board and we are all entitled to our opinions.

Well, I took issue with the fact that you made a statement that they have most of their level 5's cross to youth 2 and senior 2, which clearly isn't true. 5 out of 60 level 5 athletes works out to 0.083% LOL...it's not rocket science to figure out this is not most of their level 5 athletes.

Well, I took issue with the fact that you made a statement that they have most of their level 5's cross to youth 2 and senior 2, which clearly isn't true. 5 out of 60 level 5 athletes works out to 0.083% LOL...it's not rocket science to figure out this is not most of their level 5 athletes.

I think the issues is that perception is reality and I too saw the board at Spirit Fest, where there were so many teams it ran out of room for crossovers. It is what it is and is - regardless next year will fix all of them problems for everyone and ensure an even playing field.

I want to also add that regardless if an athlete throws a level 5 tumbling pass or not a level 5 athlete has no business being on a level 1 or 2 team. The reason that athlete is on level 5 if they do not tumble is obviously to stunt - so putting an athlete that can stunt level 5 on level 2 is not right either... the issue does not only rest on tumbling. Being on level 5 you must contribute one or the other in order to make that team, not to mention the mental capacity of handling a level 5 routine (that takes a certain maturity). Look at it this way, if you were watching your child in their junior varsity football team and the opposing team suited their varsity team for the junior varsity game - who would win? Would you be upset?

Your math is off - 5/60 is indeed .083, but that corresponds to 8.3%. That's still nowhere near "most" of them, but just pointing that out.

Your math is off - 5/60 is indeed .083, but that corresponds to 8.3%. That's still nowhere near "most" of them, but just pointing that out.
hahha! Sorry! Forgot to move my decimal point
smile.png

I think the issues is that perception is reality and I too saw the board at Spirit Fest, where there were so many teams it ran out of room for crossovers. It is what it is and is - regardless next year will fix all of them problems for everyone and ensure an even playing field.

I want to also add that regardless if an athlete throws a level 5 tumbling pass or not a level 5 athlete has no business being on a level 1 or 2 team. The reason that athlete is on level 5 if they do not tumble is obviously to stunt - so putting an athlete that can stunt level 5 on level 2 is not right either... the issue does not only rest on tumbling. Being on level 5 you must contribute one or the other in order to make that team, not to mention the mental capacity of handling a level 5 routine (that takes a certain maturity). Look at it this way, if you were watching your child in their junior varsity football team and the opposing team suited their varsity team for the junior varsity game - who would win? Would you be upset?

Well, technically they're suiting 2 or 3 of their varsity players...very different than suiting an entire team. FWIW, I'm not saying I disagree with anyone regarding the crossover issue. I just took issue with the fact that the numbers were WAY off as to how many there are.

the people that crossover dont have a full except 2 of them so its not like the people crossing over are throwing doubles, 2 only have a bhs, and 1 only has a tuck, and the other 2 only have a full. but its not like sparks is the only gym that has crossovers...

Not looking to start drama at all. This is a board and we are all entitled to our opinions. I respect those that don't see a problem with someone crossing down 3 or 4 levels. I feel differently. The crossover issue is my biggest pet peeve in cheer, the majority of my posts are about it, and I feel this industry will never be recognized as a sport until there is a set of rules consistent with other recognized sports. It isn't about being a sore loser - to me these are the types of things that make people consider cheer to be "a joke". There is no other sport that allows elite to compete with advance beginner/intermediate. Whether it is 1 level 5 athlete or 10 who crossover, I don't feel it should be allowed. Although you say one of the crossovers doesn't have a full, there are so many other level 5 skills these kids have that give a huge advantage to a level 2 team - jumps, motions, standing tumbling, stunting, dance. All of these components are clearly harder and more technical on a level 5 team than a level 2. I specifically said it was legal in my post, but I also have the right to my opinion that it is team stacking, particularly when a gym is fielding 8 teams and have divisions with lower levels they could pull from if they really needed the numbers. My apologies that I don't know the specific counts of how many level 5 crossovers are on the level 2 teams - I saw a lot more than 2 running to warmups this past weekend, but as I said I feel even 1 is too many, 3 is 15% of your team and very easy to place in the routine to give a huge advantage. Not looking to target any gym either - I think Sparks has amazing level 5 teams, great athletes and great choreography and I always enjoy seeing them perform.

As a parent of a child on the senior 2 team you are referring to I feel that I can speak to the fact that:
1. Since they couldn't warm-up anymore without that ONE athlete that was late because Hall A was running behind they went to watch her team and cheer them on. They where -all 35- running back to warm-ups as soon as that team had competed.
2. 3 cross-over’s out of 35 is not 15% it is less than 10%, even when the changes go through, which I hope they do, that will be allowed.

At the beginning of the summer a lot of these kids, many who hadn't even done All-Star before, didn't have level 2 or solid level 2 skills. They all worked their tails off the entire summer. EVERY athlete on this team works so hard to be as strong as they are. It is unfortunate that instead of appreciating that, a few people feel the need to use partial or simply incorrect facts to make it seem like its unfair advantage and not hard work that makes them a really good team. There are so many great teams from other gyms levels 1-5, that I enjoy watching at every competition, I'm sure they all want to be appreciated for their hard work.

You are completely entitled to your opinion. I just think opinion should be based on fact, you may still feel completely the same and again that is your right, but at least it is an informed opinion.

fyi.....next year will not fix your issues...the only consideration being given on the crossover rule is the percentage and number of teams an individual cheerleader can compete on...they are not considering any level restrictions on crossovers...If you are merely interested in level restrictions then i suppose you should only compete at NCA...in Dallas...,

Just want to put it out there that Sparks has AMAZING teams & choreography from their littlest to their level 5's! And they really are the nicest kids. Very impressed with their program.
There were a lot of great programs there this weekend & it really was nice to see all good sportsmanship - saw lots of different programs cheering for everyone.

As a parent of a child on the senior 2 team you are referring to I feel that I can speak to the fact that:
1. Since they couldn't warm-up anymore without that ONE athlete that was late because Hall A was running behind they went to watch her team and cheer them on. They where -all 35- running back to warm-ups as soon as that team had competed.
2. 3 cross-over’s out of 35 is not 15% it is less than 10%, even when the changes go through, which I hope they do, that will be allowed.

At the beginning of the summer a lot of these kids, many who hadn't even done All-Star before, didn't have level 2 or solid level 2 skills. They all worked their tails off the entire summer. EVERY athlete on this team works so hard to be as strong as they are. It is unfortunate that instead of appreciating that, a few people feel the need to use partial or simply incorrect facts to make it seem like its unfair advantage and not hard work that makes them a really good team. There are so many great teams from other gyms levels 1-5, that I enjoy watching at every competition, I'm sure they all want to be appreciated for their hard work.

You are completely entitled to your opinion. I just think opinion should be based on fact, you may still feel completely the same and again that is your right, but at least it is an informed opinion.

I was referring to the statement that there were only 3 level 5 kids on youth 2. Appreciate the facts - thanks for the information!

I think people are forgetting this is a team of 35 athletes, and one who is a level 5 crossover did not start on the team at the beginning of the summer but did replace a flyer who left the team, which she does not do on a level 5 team. And the team we're talking about here is a popular team in the gym from their past (and current) success which makes it attractive to other athletes. All of these athletes work insanely hard and leave it all on the mat and it's not fair for people to be judging an entire team based on two crossovers who aren't just part of a team but are more like a family. Also, the teams success is not based on 2/35 people, but rather the coaches, surroundings, teamwork, and dedication which is what cheerleading is truly about. Think about the I PROMISE <3

Back