Standing Tucks?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 2, 2012
Okay, so My cheer season just ended last month, I had been working on my tuck, and I am going to start private lessons in january once a week for 30 minutes. I know that everyone learns at different paces and such, but based on personal experience, do you guys think that I could get it by march/april?

There are a lot of factors involved that, make it difficult be able to tell how long it would take to learn a skill. Your strength (particularly core,) coordination, quality of your coach, and confidence, are a few of the many factors involved.

oops... accidentally posted before I was done.

Do I think you COULD do it? ABSOLUTELY! However, I will tell you that, unless you have strength and coordination that is far superior to the average person, once a week for 30 minutes will not be enough to reach your goal in that time period.

If you want to reach your goal to learn a back tuck in 4 months, I would recommend taking a tumbling class, and if possible participate in some kind of strength training or conditioning program to supplement your training.

Best of luck,
Coach Matt
Full-Out: Cheer and Fitness

It took my cp almost 6 months to get her RO BHS Tuck-and she isn't even close to her standing. That being said she is young and it's a fight to get her to condition at home and work on drills. If you continue conditioning outside of the gym you can certainly speed the process up. But I agree one 30m private once a week isn't enough. Once you get passed the warming up and then the cool down you are really only looking at 15 minutes of actual training.
I'd definitely have your coach write up some things you could be doing at home to help you out.
Good luck!

I remember a quote fr0m a coach at the JAM U coaching conference a few years back. I forgot who said it, but he said "the difference between a goal, and a wish, is a date." I think that in tumbling, many times, both athletes and coaches lose touch with specific, measurable, goals, and just "go with the flow."

Goal setting can be great motivation to keep working hard. Also, it keeps how much progress you have made in perspective.

Instead of asking yourself and your coach "Can I get this skill a certain amount of time?" try asking "What do I need to do to get this skill in a certain amount of time?"

Okay, so My cheer season just ended last month, I had been working on my tuck, and I am going to start private lessons in january once a week for 30 minutes. I know that everyone learns at different paces and such, but based on personal experience, do you guys think that I could get it by march/april?

Definitely.

Standing tuck- Throw it into a pit/crash mat with ankle weights. Keep your chin into chest & don't throw your head back. Squeeze core and when you see the floor roll your shoulder back and stand up.

Running RO BHS tuck- Momentum. After handspring pull feet through and throw arms up for the set. (like you are taking a deep breath in) set a little back not straight up and down. The rest should happen on its own but grab under legs, squeeze and bring hips over head!

Good luck girl.

Standing tuck- Throw it into a pit/crash mat with ankle weights. Keep your chin into chest & don't throw your head back. Squeeze core and when you see the floor roll your shoulder back and stand up.

Good luck girl.

Couple thing here. In no way am I trying to you; but there are a few things in this post that you recommended that are not safe, or are not congruent with current standing tuck technique.

First off - I would not recommend the use of ankle weight before the athlete has mastered the skill. If she is unable to preform the skill successfully, the added weight will make it even more difficult and could result in possible injury, even when going into a crash mat. However, using ankle weights during conditioning exercises, or performing isolated, task specific, drills could benefit an athlete.

Secondly - When performing a tuck, while it is true that you DO NOT want to put your head back, you also do not want to tuck your chin in. Your head should remain in neutral position, allowing the greatest range of motion in the shoulders to set.

one thing my coach taught us to help with rotation and to keep your knees to your chest is to grab behind your legs... almost your ankles... being 5-9 it helps get my legs over!!!! everyone that has learned their tuck in my gym grabs our ankles

Couple thing here. In no way am I trying to you; but there are a few things in this post that you recommended that are not safe, or are not congruent with current standing tuck technique.

First off - I would not recommend the use of ankle weight before the athlete has mastered the skill. If she is unable to preform the skill successfully, the added weight will make it even more difficult and could result in possible injury, even when going into a crash mat. However, using ankle weights during conditioning exercises, or performing isolated, task specific, drills could benefit an athlete.

Secondly - When performing a tuck, while it is true that you DO NOT want to put your head back, you also do not want to tuck your chin in. Your head should remain in neutral position, allowing the greatest range of motion in the shoulders to set.

Oh yeah of course, I am in no means saying that you should go try this by yourself. I really have no idea where you are at in your tumbling so I was kind of just giving some basic tips on what typically helps a standing tuck thats flawed. I appreciate you clearing it up!

To be realistic, by only working out 30 mins once a week will not get you a standing tuck. Ask your tumbling instructor for exercises and things to speed up the process. Do these everyday.

What I think of when I do a standing tuck it to really push off the floor and press my arms to my ears then tuck. By doing this I land my tucks all the time and I can do it anywhere ( like concrete and grass!). Defiantly build up your strength. And don't ever give up :)

No expert here - but having watch my gymnast/CP for three years - 30 minutes could be enough depending on you skill base IF you practice in between the lesson reinforcing your skills and continue to condition your core throughout the week. Try to find an open gym facility that you could go to in between lessons. The extra practice on her own along with conditioning helped her progress faster. Just make sure you are executing proper technique on your own. If you feel the technique is not there - stop so that you do not form bad habits and/or hurt yourself.

No expert here - but having watch my gymnast/CP for three years - 30 minutes could be enough depending on you skill base IF you practice in between the lesson reinforcing your skills and continue to condition your core throughout the week. Try to find an open gym facility that you could go to in between lessons. The extra practice on her own along with conditioning helped her progress faster. Just make sure you are executing proper technique on your own. If you feel the technique is not there - stop so that you do not form bad habits and/or hurt yourself.
Good Luck!!!
Thank you ! Your advice is perfect !

Back