OT Starting The College Process

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Feb 28, 2010
I'm going to be a senior this year so over the summer I want to look into schools.. But, I don't know what I want to major in or really how to get started on all of this.
Could anyone provide me with some guidance with this overwhelming process?!

Im in the same boat as you. Ive know forever that Ive wanted to be a teacher but it is still over whelming. My grandmother actually got me "college coach". As silly as it sounds, she comes every 4 weeks, we go through college books, look on colleges websites, set us visits, write resumes and starting this summer will do college apps and essays. I think the first step is deciding a major. If you pick something unique there are specialty schools for that. Another important step is location. Do you want to stay close to home? Warm weather? Athletics? Price? SAT scores? Everything plays a role. I actually have a list with three columns. One is "reach schools" one is "safety schools" and one is "target schools". This helped me organize what colleges I am definitely applying for. Best of luck!

What types of things have you already made criteria? For me it was warmer weather, nice dorms, certain price point, school of nursing, some type of family around, etc. I narrowed it down from about 20 schools to five on that alone. Once I applied to those five (I, fortunately, got accepted to all my choices), I visited them and that narrowed it down to three. I made a list and decided from there.

I basically did exactly what @PghxCheer2 did..find things you know you want in a college. Maybe you want to stay around home, or go far away, maybe a school with a huge athletic program, or in nice weather. Things like these will help you begin a list and once you get started it is much easier. If you are not sure what you want to major in, then you can either look for schools that have tons of options rather than specializing in certain things, or you don't have to include that in you're choice at all. I had no idea what I wanted to major in when it came to applying for college and just applied based on other factors. Forcing yourself to make a choice and going to a school based on that may not be the best idea if you are not absolutely 100% positive thats what you want to do. Most college students change their major at least once or twice while they are in school.

Another thing, don't feel pressured to go to college with a major, it's always a good choice to have one, but I went without one my first semester and I was fine, I declared one for the spring, and have yet again changed it for the fall. So don't be too stressed about not you knowing what you want to do. You are not the only one!

@dohnutt @caa10 @PghxCheer2 @wcsstilldeath

Thank you all! I'm just stressed about it all soo much. My parents are pretty much constantly on me (but silently if that makes sense?) about SAT's, grades, college visits, and majors. I'd definitely like to stay in the New England area with probably a major in business just because I am pretty decent in math.. and that can get you pretty much any job haha.
Then tonight was my academic awards night.. I received awards for high honors for the past 3 quarters as well as maintaining at least a 90 average for the past 3 years. But I'm still SO stressed because I constantly feel second best to all my friends who got college book awards and department awards (science/math, humanities, unified arts.. ect). Like I know I'll probably never get scholarships next year with all of them ahead of me so there are probably some schools I can't even look into because of that financial aspect.. and I probably won't get in haha.
SOO STRESSFULL!

If the financial aspect is the only reason that you would not be able to attend a school, don't let that stop you from at least applying. You would be surprised the amount of scholarship money colleges give out, and once you visit they will be able to tell you more about how others make it work when they can't really afford it. Basically everywhere I visited told me that if you wanted to go there, there was a way to make it happen. Fortunately for my parents, I fell in love with the cheapest school I applied to lol. Also, don't compare your academics to your friends. I go to Louisville, a university that is much easier to get into than the majority of the schools my friends went to (Harvard, Uchicago, Georgetown, Villanova Business School etc.) but I am one of the only ones that is absolutely in love with my school. While they are looking at places to transfer to, I am getting my schoolwork done while having time to go out at night.

If the financial aspect is the only reason that you would not be able to attend a school, don't let that stop you from at least applying. You would be surprised the amount of scholarship money colleges give out, and once you visit they will be able to tell you more about how others make it work when they can't really afford it. Basically everywhere I visited told me that if you wanted to go there, there was a way to make it happen. Fortunately for my parents, I fell in love with the cheapest school I applied to lol. Also, don't compare your academics to your friends. I go to Louisville, a university that is much easier to get into than the majority of the schools my friends went to (Harvard, Uchicago, Georgetown, Villanova Business School etc.) but I am one of the only ones that is absolutely in love with my school. While they are looking at places to transfer to, I am getting my schoolwork done while having time to go out at night.

Oh I definitely won't but I would much prefer to go to a cheaper school than find myself in student loan debt right out of college. There are schools I said I would never consider (not for the academic aspect) that I am looking at just because in state tuition is a LOT cheaper. And I know i shouldn't be comparing myself but I always feel second best (or third) in EVERYTHING.. and especially lately, which is another story in itself. But it's just so hard to hear about all of their AP classes, SAT scores, awards constantly and not compare myself. Whatever, I guess I'll get over it eventually haha

Oh I definitely won't but I would much prefer to go to a cheaper school than find myself in student loan debt right out of college. There are schools I said I would never consider (not for the academic aspect) that I am looking at just because in state tuition is a LOT cheaper. And I know i shouldn't be comparing myself but I always feel second best (or third) in EVERYTHING.. and especially lately, which is another story in itself. But it's just so hard to hear about all of their AP classes, SAT scores, awards constantly and not compare myself. Whatever, I guess I'll get over it eventually haha
Yes definitely a good idea, I am so glad I chose to go to one of the only public schools I applied to. It is less than half the price of most of the private schools I applied to, and now that I'm thinking about going to law school I'm soo much happier about that. haha..and I'm sure once you figure everything out and aren't so stressed you will feel much better about everything :)

Don't ever feel second best to your friends. Quite a few of my friends were in APs and honors classes and I never took any of those classes in HS, and to be honest, I seem to be doing the best out of all of them. Kids I know who went to higher universities are currently doing summer classes because their gpas weren't good, or they just failed classes. While I'm not taking any classes because I passed all of mine, and my gap is fine. So don't look at your friends and compare yourself to them. Everyone is different.

Also, don't look at a school and say I'm not going to apply because I'm not going to get in, I did that and actually regret it. I didn't apply to some of the schools I looked at because I figured I wouldn't get in, but I probably would have. I applied to 2 schools, got into the bridge at one school, while I got accepted to the university at the other, which surprised me. But if you are interested in the school, then apply, the worst they can do is say no, and you can not kick yourself later for at least not trying.

But if you need any more advice or just wanna chat about college, feel free to PM me and we can talk through messages or Facebook! :)

I really really do not want to sound like a Debbie Downer compared to anyone else but you are VERY smart to look into the cheaper schools to go to. I went to a much more expensive school for 2 years and then had another year of student loans to take out from my current school or a total of $45,000 and that is missing 2 years that have been paid for (that is also after scholarships and grants). With the economy taking a much slower pace to rebuild itself then it was expected to it is smart to find a way to owe less money when you graduate. Many high school counselors told me that the payment for student loans would be roughly $80 a month. WRONG I will be looking at $300+ in payments a month unless I refinance right away. Now that they are starting to regulate things more and set it based on income depending on who they go through (with my experience so far hope and pray it isn't Sallie Mae). Still it is A LOT of debt that you can't get out of once you graduate (there is no bankruptcy on student loans).

I was once the type that would say go to your favorite school no matter how much it cost, but coming from the point of view now that will graduate in more debt then I could make in my first year working scares the crap out of me and has opened my eyes a lot. Of course I am not telling you to choose a school you don't really like but is super cheap, but if you can't narrow down from say 2 or 3 schools choose the one that is cheaper I am sure it will allow your parents to finally take a deep breath since more than likely their names will also be tied down to these loans.

ALSO to go on with the student loan thing, not sure if it has changed in the past 2 years, but when they tell you "oh take out a subsidized loan it is great" yeah but you can't take out your entire tuition in one of those loans. After a year of taking out a subsidized and private loan I realized it is much easier to take out 1 loan. If you are scared of the financial burden of school make an appointment with the bank you plan to take your loan out through and sit down with them. My bank lady helped so much in finding the perfect loan with the lowest interest rate for me.

Wow @ztaprincess took the words right out of my mouth! I went to a small private school in MA to play field hockey, and while I loved it, the loans are definitely not worth it. Loans are the devil and if you can avoid them, or at least have a smaller amount, DO IT. I'm paying about $700/month and have 6 different loans out for all four years. I have two with interest rates that are outrageous (both through Sallie Mae :mad:) and after countless phone calls they finally told me I can't decrease them. Most of my friends went to cheaper schools and are able to save money for apartments and such, while most of what I make goes to my loans. I've been avoiding grad school because I don't want to put myself in more debt.

On another note, I wouldn't worry about not getting in either. It's always worth it to apply. I only took a few honors and one AP in hs, and my SATs were beyond awful and I got into school just fine. And even if you apply to a specific program and don't get into that, but get into the school, that's a good thing. That means they want you and know you have the potential! Also, there are scholarships for pretty much everything, so keep your eye out and do a ton of research and apply, apply, apply! The more you apply to, the greater your chances of winning at least something.

Another thing, (sorry I'm rambling) Bentley and Babson I'd say are some of the top business schools in MA. I don't know about their price range, but I'd take a look. I'd say you're right on track as far as 'the college process' goes, so just keep doing research and looking at your options and you'll eventually find the right school and have the best four years of your life! :)

@ztaprincess - My friend is a graduating senior and she is attending a state university.. in state and has estimated to pay about $2000 a month to keep up with her expenses and not have debts to pay off after school.

@fiercerando88 - I'll definitely look into those schools! I know Bentley is a FANTASTIC school and I have also heard great things about Babson. If I have time this summer, I'll go down and visit! :)

@ztaprincess - My friend is a graduating senior and she is attending a state university.. in state and has estimated to pay about $2000 a month to keep up with her expenses and not have debts to pay off after school.

@fiercerando88 - I'll definitely look into those schools! I know Bentley is a FANTASTIC school and I have also heard great things about Babson. If I have time this summer, I'll go down and visit! :)
I live right near Bentley, and it's a really nice campus! It's pretty pricey though- I think tuition alone is 36,000. I'm also struggling with the whole college process. I really have no idea what I want to do-which makes things a littl difficult lol. My dad works for the state (MA) so we get free tuition to state schools, so my parents are really pushing that. We (me and my brothers) have to pay for school, so I'm trying to weigh cheap vs. dream schools...

I live right near Bentley, and it's a really nice campus! It's pretty pricey though- I think tuition alone is 36,000. I'm also struggling with the whole college process. I really have no idea what I want to do-which makes things a littl difficult lol. My dad works for the state (MA) so we get free tuition to state schools, so my parents are really pushing that. We (me and my brothers) have to pay for school, so I'm trying to weigh cheap vs. dream schools...

Just keep in mind, a lot of college students transfer schools in the 4 years they are continuing their education. There are many reasons but it's not a bad thing. (It may be a little difficult matching up credits but it's not too bad.) Here is a possibility for you.

Go to a state school for a few years and then transfer into a different school later. This will do a few things for you:
1. Since you've stated that you can get free tuition at State schools, you can put the money you save there towards the school of your choice. That way, when you pick the school you really, really want to go to, the financial aspect wont be THAT big of a deal as it was before, since you were saving up.
2. It will give you more time to really research the dream school you want to/will be transferring to.
3. Since you aren't sure of what to major in, get your core classes or gen eds out of the way at the state school before going to your dream school. Every school offers those classes, so why pay a ton of money for them when you don't have to.
4. Transferring will let you go into your first years Undeclared and give you time to ponder what you truley want to major in. By the time you transfer, you will probably know what you want to do.

Back