All-Star Stealing Kids???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

But they arent offering them any incentive they are just saying come here cause we think we're better
Sometimes incentives are offered. If an amazing male is cheering at gym A then gym B may try to recruit him by offering him discounted tuition, uniform etc

I wouldnt really call it stealing kids considering the athlete in question is making the choice to go to the new gym.
Agreed, it reminds me of middle school "she stole my BFF" drama because apparantly the best friend had absolutely no say in whether she chose a new best friend :rolleyes:

In cheerleading plenty of people bad mouth each other (sometimes they even put it in their music). It isn't illegal to express ones opinion about a gym and their ability to train up athletes. (it is only illegal to make false statements as fact about another company)

I wouldnt call it stealing.... you cant steal an athlete... the athlete and parents are the ones who make the "ultimate" desicion. But I do think its very tacky for other gyms to contact athletes on facebook or approach them at comps. To me if the athlete is interested in leaving current gym let the athlete make the move. My biggest pet peeve is when I hear gyms offer free tuition, uniforms ect to try and get you to leave your current gym to change to theirs.

Ok. Lets just quit thinking into it so much, and go with the intention of what the person posted, which isnt 'stealing' but more so 'recruiting' - Its my understanding that coaches and owners that 'recruit' can be turned into the USASF to an ethics commitee. If not, I would LOVE to know how a case would hold up in court for defamation of character. My gym dealt with another gym emailing our kids and parents that my gym was banned from Worlds. Definatley lost business over it.... Guess one will never know.

Ok. Lets just quit thinking into it so much, and go with the intention of what the person posted, which isnt 'stealing' but more so 'recruiting' - Its my understanding that coaches and owners that 'recruit' can be turned into the USASF to an ethics commitee. If not, I would LOVE to know how a case would hold up in court for defamation of character. My gym dealt with another gym emailing our kids and parents that my gym was banned from Worlds. Definatley lost business over it.... Guess one will never know.

I think the only punishment would be handed down by the cheer governing body....defamation would be a stretch....and very hard to prove with being against any law...:/....IMO

Wouldn't worry too much. Happy loyal customers rarely leave.
This sums it all up. If someone is happy at their own gym, then an offer to come to another gym from a gym owner/coach, while flattering, would not be considered. If the athlete is unhappy though, such an offer might open a door that the athlete had not considered previously.

I was thinking that you just can't recruit at competitions, but honestly, it's a business so pursuing athletes is unavoidable.

There has to be a clear line (like recruiting at competition). Otherwise every post I make on Facebook, etc encouraging kids to come try out is "recruiting".

There has to be a clear line (like recruiting at competition). Otherwise every post I make on Facebook, etc encouraging kids to come try out is "recruiting".
I would think recruiting would more involve offering specific incentives to to come and join, such as placement on a specific team, a discount on tuition or travel fees, etc.

I would think recruiting would more involve offering specific incentives to to come and join, such as placement on a specific team, a discount on tuition or travel fees, etc.

Well yeah. That's obvious.

Well, our gym only does open gym the 2nd and 4th Saturday every month and I wish they would do more. So I take my child to other open gyms on Wednesday and Thursdays and maybe some on Friday and Saturday if I can find ones I like. Anyways one of the gyms has a coach who asked her several times to cheer there. She said no. He started off saying you know you can cheer on 2 teams, which is wrong considering we go to some of the same competitions. Though he made a point to tell her that even though tryouts are over he can still place her on a team at his gym an she has declined again. I wish they wouldn't ask because it makes it awkward and she is only 7 but I understand it comes with the territory and if I don't like it don't let her go there for open gym! Even if he told her she would be point flyer or I would have reduced tuition we still would not go there. We are more then happy with where we are at and as long as they make us happy we won't be going anywhere.

Although I do have a feeling some coaches are upset at our gym that we do this and I feel really bad but at least I'm not denying it! :(

Kris10boo I see nothing wrong with what you're doing and I'm sure your owner/coaches probably feel the same way. What coach gets upset when their athletes take every opportunity to improve their skills? I know I don't!

Well, our gym only does open gym the 2nd and 4th Saturday every month and I wish they would do more. So I take my child to other open gyms on Wednesday and Thursdays and maybe some on Friday and Saturday if I can find ones I like. Anyways one of the gyms has a coach who asked her several times to cheer there. She said no. He started off saying you know you can cheer on 2 teams, which is wrong considering we go to some of the same competitions. Though he made a point to tell her that even though tryouts are over he can still place her on a team at his gym an she has declined again. I wish they wouldn't ask because it makes it awkward and she is only 7 but I understand it comes with the territory and if I don't like it don't let her go there for open gym! Even if he told her she would be point flyer or I would have reduced tuition we still would not go there. We are more then happy with where we are at and as long as they make us happy we won't be going anywhere.

Although I do have a feeling some coaches are upset at our gym that we do this and I feel really bad but at least I'm not denying it! :(

I don't like it when coaches/owners talk to kids this age group about changing gyms. They should be talking to the parents if anyone.

About this topic in general, people tend to forget that it is also a business. Many sports recruit. Even churches recruit to come to their church over your current church. I see nothing wrong with it. If company A offers a better deal than company B, and I am not really happy with customer A why not consider it. People change gyms for many reasons. It could be finanical, travel distance, higher level team, or just having a friend on that team. Every kid is different as well and has different needs.

My son's rec football/baseball league is hurting because kids within the league are choosing to play lacrosse and basketball instead. This in addition to other neighboring leagues recuriting or families choosing to go to the other league. We want cheer recognized more as a sport but we want separate rules for what gyms can and can't do with recruitment. It doesn't make sense to me. Every other sport does recruit and offer players with specific skills perks for choosing their team.

Back