Stereotypes?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That cheerleading is easy! And not a sport. I want all the guys in my class to do my routine.. then tell me that again.
I hear that one a LOT....from students, parents, and teachers! I have had some major athletes on my squad that later QUIT because cheer was just too hard! SMH

"There is no such thing as a 'fat' cheerleader!"

I hate this stereotype! Some of my best cheerleaders have been full-figured girls! Just because you have curves in all the right places doesn't mean you can't jump, stunt, and tumble!

That cheerleading isn't a sport and that all cheerleaders are stupid. I had to show my class a video of something that is important to me/describes you. Most of my class did a song, but i showed everyone California allstars' small senior 5 team (becasue i love their routine!). My teacher only wanted to hear about 30 seconds of the clip(we ended up watching the whole thing) but my whole class was amazed that "cheerleaders" where performing that routine. i gained alota respect that day and the guys in that class are realizing that cheerleading iis a sport!

...that cheerleading is a fall back "activity" for those who can't make a "real" sports team. Grrr!!!

All cheerleaders do is stand on the sideline and yell 'GO TEAM GO!'
We're anorexic
We're B*tchy
We're better than everyone else, etc.
The list goes on, but whenever i talk to some of my friends about the steotypes people perceive us as, we literally BURST out laughing by how ridiculous it is.

Before I make this comment, I want everyone to know that I like the dallas cowboys "cheerleaders" and think they are talented and incredible athletes....But I hate it when people ask me if I am going to cheer "pro". Sure I would be honored to be a cowboys cheerleader or etc...but they are dancers not cheerleaders....and a lot of people think that is all cheerleading is. If I wanted to be a cowboys cheerleader I would be in a dance program right now....which just makes me angry. So no I am not going to cheer "pro" unless its on the Baltimore Ravens who actually have a coed cheer team..

Agree with pretty much everything listed so far :)

I'd add the 'all cheerleaders are skinny/petite/tiny' stereotype. Ok, maybe if you're cheering on a college co-ed squad and you're female, but there are so many AMAZING cheerleaders out there who are tall and make great back spots, or strong and make great bases, or who are amazing power tumblers with intense muscles, or great dancers with strong dancer thighs! Thankfully I haven't encountered it much, but I have been asked how I can be a cheerleader if I'm tall and not particularly slim. Um, easily! If I tried to make myself skinny, I'd have no energy for cheer, as it's just not my body's ideal type ;) I love seeing the different body types and shapes at competitions, with all of the young women (and men!) proving how wonderful body diversity is :)

Before I make this comment, I want everyone to know that I like the dallas cowboys "cheerleaders" and think they are talented and incredible athletes....But I hate it when people ask me if I am going to cheer "pro". Sure I would be honored to be a cowboys cheerleader or etc...but they are dancers not cheerleaders....and a lot of people think that is all cheerleading is. If I wanted to be a cowboys cheerleader I would be in a dance program right now....which just makes me angry. So no I am not going to cheer "pro" unless its on the Baltimore Ravens who actually have a coed cheer team..
I hear you.
Also, I hate with quite a passion how the perceived (by non-cheerleaders) 'next step up' in cheer is to become a professional sideline cheerleader...no judgement, they work hard, but it's a step down to me! You go from being a strong and powerful competitor to a dancer whose main purpose is to look good *sigh*
I love BR :)

Back