Strengthening Wrists

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mom24girls

Cheer Parent
Nov 4, 2010
My 8yo has extremely weak wrists. After only a few tumbling passes she's rolling her wrists in pain. What exercises could she do to help with this? It is really affecting her tumbling.

try doing sets of wrist lifts (?) with any kind of light weight, such as a soup can or something of that sort.

I did pushups on my knuckles to strengthen my wrists. Worked pretty well, been tape free since '05.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/DFX_Sports_Pro_Plus_Gyro_Ball/descpageFLEX-DFPPGB.html
Maybe you can consider getting one of these. Quite a few years back (when I was still in competitive tumbling) I fractured both of the growth plates in my wrists. My doctor had me get one of these after I got out of the casts to strengthen my wrists, and I actually saw an improvement in my wrists! It’s easy to work, and actually pretty fun to play around with! Also if you want to buy a couple 2 pound weights and she can hold her arm straight while lifting her hands up and down holding the weights, that helps as well! Before her tumble, she should focus a lot on stretching her wrists (getting on your hands and knees and rocking back and forth with most the weight in your wrists). I know this is a lot but I was in a bad situation for a while, and doing these things really helped! :)

go on to amazon and search for the powerballs, they are great at strengthening wrists!

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/DFX_Sports_Pro_Plus_Gyro_Ball/descpageFLEX-DFPPGB.html
Maybe you can consider getting one of these. Quite a few years back (when I was still in competitive tumbling) I fractured both of the growth plates in my wrists. My doctor had me get one of these after I got out of the casts to strengthen my wrists, and I actually saw an improvement in my wrists! It’s easy to work, and actually pretty fun to play around with! Also if you want to buy a couple 2 pound weights and she can hold her arm straight while lifting her hands up and down holding the weights, that helps as well! Before her tumble, she should focus a lot on stretching her wrists (getting on your hands and knees and rocking back and forth with most the weight in your wrists). I know this is a lot but I was in a bad situation for a while, and doing these things really helped! :)
I have one of these and it works amazingly!

for my wrist I always go to a push up, then flatten my hand so the back side of my hand is on the ground so if your looking down at your hands you see your palm then push back up to your fist I do that like 15 times in a row if you try it i would try maybe on your knees first so not all your body weight is on your wrists....hope this make sence

do the roller coaster stretch, i wear tape but after tumbling in the routine i press my wrists against my legs , which is bad but at least the judges dont see.. just try not to tumble on grass and lift light thinfs such as soup cans

My 8yo has extremely weak wrists. After only a few tumbling passes she's rolling her wrists in pain. What exercises could she do to help with this? It is really affecting her tumbling.

i have/had the same tumbling! but the best thing that worked for me is to have her use soup cans, water bottles, 2lb weights, etc and just have her do almost wrist curls with them. put the wrist down, and then pull it back up have her do 30 reps twice a day & honestly this helped me so much! my wrists barley ever hurt anymoe and i use to have to wear wrist braces just to stunt & tumble.

Latest posts

Back